This discussion is archived
2 Replies Latest reply: Jan 14, 2013 1:09 PM by mseberg RSS

Log_archive_format with physical standby

user447797 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Oracle RDBMS : 11.2.0.2(RAC) on RHEL 5.6

Do we need to set any particular value for log_archive_format parameter while creating physical standby database?

In our primary the parameter value is log_archive_format='% t_% s_% r.dbf'. Do we need to change it to a different value or can we leave it like that for physical standby database?

Many of the documents online in different blogs are including log_archive_format='% t_% s_% r.arc along with all other parameters required for creating physical standby database. I am bit confused,can anyone please clarify.

Thanks
  • 1. Re: Log_archive_format with physical standby
    mseberg Guru
    Hello;
    Do we need to set any particular value for log_archive_format parameter while creating physical standby database?
    No.
    In our primary the parameter value is log_archive_format='% t_% s_% r.dbf'. Do we need to change it to a different value or can we leave it like that for physical standby database?
    I like them the same as it make gaps checking easier. Yours appears to be default for Linux.
    SQL> show parameter log_archive_format

NAME                                 TYPE        VALUE
    ------------------------------------ ----------- ------------------------------
    log_archive_format                   string      %t_%s_%r.dbf
    SQL> 
    On all of mine I don't set this and let the Default for the parameter apply.

Best Regards

mseberg
  • 2. Re: Log_archive_format with physical standby
    TSharma-Oracle Guru
    This log_archive_format='% t_% s_% r.dbf' is good. Do not get confused with .arc extension. It can be anything like .abc .123 or anything. You have set the right value of the parameter. Do not need to worry.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points