11 Replies Latest reply: Jan 18, 2013 3:00 AM by 963952 RSS

How to set paremeter ODI_CONNECTION_RETRY_COUNT  for JAVA EE agent?

Hello,

I need to migrate from odi standalone agent to java ee weblogic agent. For my standalone agent, I have set:

ODI_CONNECTION_RETRY_COUNT=1000
      ODI_CONNECTION_RETRY_DELAY=7000

How can I provide the same settings for my OracleDiAgent?
        • 1. Re: How to set paremeter ODI_CONNECTION_RETRY_COUNT  for JAVA EE agent?
          _Phil
          On the Weblogic console, open your data source then click the 'Connection Pool' tab and expand the 'Advanced' section to see the various options.
          • 2. Re: How to set paremeter ODI_CONNECTION_RETRY_COUNT  for JAVA EE agent?
            I'm not sure what options are equivalents. Is Connection Creation Retry Frequency equivalent for ODI_CONNECTION_RETRY_DELAY ? And where should I set ODI_CONNECTION_RETRY_COUNT ? I can't see any suitable option.

Edited by: 960949 on 2013-01-14 23:47
            • 3. Re: How to set paremeter ODI_CONNECTION_RETRY_COUNT  for JAVA EE agent?
              Bhabani Ranjan
              I believe
              Connection Creation Retry Frequency:= ODI_CONNECTION_RETRY_COUNT and
              Login Delay: = ODI_CONNECTION_RETRY_DELAY
              • 4. Re: How to set paremeter ODI_CONNECTION_RETRY_COUNT  for JAVA EE agent?
                Are you sure?

ODI_CONNECTION_RETRY_COUNT
                The number of retries to re-establish master or work repository
                connections during connection failures. If set to 0, no retry will
                be performed.

Connection Creation Retry Frequency:
                The number of seconds between attempts to establish connections to the database.

Login Delay
                The number of seconds to delay before creating each physical database connection. This delay supports database servers that cannot handle multiple connection requests in rapid succession.

ODI_CONNECTION_RETRY_DELAY
                Time in milliseconds between the retries of master or work
                repository connections.

So, definitely ODI_CONNECTION_RETRY_COUNT != Connection Creation Retry Frequency. And also, ODI_CONNECTION_RETRY_DELAY don't seem to be the same as Login Delay (maybe I'm wrong, but descritpions are not suitable)

Edited by: 960949 on 2013-01-15 00:27

Edited by: 960949 on 2013-01-15 00:30
                • 5. Re: How to set paremeter ODI_CONNECTION_RETRY_COUNT  for JAVA EE agent?
                  _Phil
                  I am not at my pc right now, so I can't see the exact parameter names but you should be able to set your delay (eg 7 secs) and a timeout after which the system will stop attempting connections. So if you want 10 attempts for example, you'd set the timeout to 7 * 10 = 70 secs.
                  • 6. Re: How to set paremeter ODI_CONNECTION_RETRY_COUNT  for JAVA EE agent?
                    Full description for Connection Creation Retry Frequency:

Oracle documentation:
                    The number of seconds between attempts to establish connections to the database.

If you do not set this value, data source creation fails if the database is unavailable. If set and if the database is unavailable when the data source is created, WebLogic Server will attempt to create connections in the pool again after the number of seconds you specify, and will >continue to attempt to create the connections until it succeeds.

When set to 0, connection retry is disabled.

MBean Attribute (Does not apply to application modules) :
                    JDBCConnectionPoolParamsBean.ConnectionCreationRetryFrequencySeconds

Minimum value: 0

Maximum value: 2147483647
                    This can be set for work and master repository separately (there are 2 data sources). So, if I set 7 seconds there, it will be equivalent for ODI_CONNECTION_RETRY_DELAY=7000 and ODI_CONNECTION_RETRY_COUNT infinite (because weblogic will attempt to connect until it succedes, without any max attempt count). Am I right?

But:
                    - is this applies to agent? I mean running sessions should not fail, they rather should wait for repository to be available again
                    - I can't see any timeout for this - this is not really big problem, infinity will be ok, but I want to know how to limit connection attempt count

Edited by: 960949 on 2013-01-15 01:16
                    • 7. Re: How to set paremeter ODI_CONNECTION_RETRY_COUNT  for JAVA EE agent?
                      _Phil
                      "Connection Reserve Timeout" allows you to specify how long to continue attempting connections.
                      • 8. Re: How to set paremeter ODI_CONNECTION_RETRY_COUNT  for JAVA EE agent?
                        _Phil
                        For active sessions, I handle connection problems at the Package level, by setting the "Processing After Failure" advanced options on each step.
                        • 9. Re: How to set paremeter ODI_CONNECTION_RETRY_COUNT  for JAVA EE agent?
                          Bhabani Ranjan
                          It seems to be statements are not matching . Why dont you set the
                          Connection Creation Retry Frequency to any specific values like 5 second or 6 second. because as as per the description
                          WebLogic Server will attempt to create connections in the pool again after the number of seconds you specify, and will continue to attempt to create the connections until it succeeds.
                          So it will keep trying in every 5 sec till a successful connection. The only thing I am missing here is to how to restrict this from infinitive to a limited try.
                          • 10. Re: How to set paremeter ODI_CONNECTION_RETRY_COUNT  for JAVA EE agent?
                            _Phil wrote:
                            For active sessions, I handle connection problems at the Package level, by setting the "Processing After Failure" advanced options on each step.
                            What exactly do you mean? I have a lot of session waiting for events (wait for data, wait for file etc). By default, agent will not monitor repository connection in this case (and entire session is lost if repository goes down- it waits independently and it won't detect any events anymore), but - for standalone agent, solution is changing this 2 options. So I'm asking for their equivalnets for java ee agent.

Edited by: 960949 on 2013-01-15 02:14
                            • 11. Re: How to set paremeter ODI_CONNECTION_RETRY_COUNT  for JAVA EE agent?
                              Hello,

Unfortunatelly, after performing some tests I can say it doesn't work. I have set Connection Creation Retry Frequency to 7 but still my session is dead if database repository is down. And there are no any reconnect attempts. Do you have any ideas?