This discussion is archived
8 Replies Latest reply: Jan 22, 2013 9:48 AM by phcullen-Oracle RSS

Oracle *Streams* Advanced Queuing

bencol Pro
Currently Being Moderated
I'm investigating using AQ to populate an Oracle (11.2.02) database from several application servers. I have noticed the following:
"+Oracle Streams continues to be supported but will not be enhanced to support any new database features in future releases. This means that Streams will continue to support exactly what it supports today (11.2) in future releases. It also means that any new database features, data types, or capabilities will not be supported by Streams. Customers who want to take advantage of the new data types and features will need to license Oracle GoldenGate+"

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/middleware/goldengate/overview/statement-of-direction-gg-132120.pdf

Can anyone tell me how this will affect AQ?

Will this matter to me? I the project I am just starting I'm envisaging multiple application servers' acting as Producers, calling the dbms_aq enqueing procedures (it will be converting multiple XML messages into data to pass to the AQ procedures. I can't see where Streams fits into this at all?

I've decided to investigate AQ as it seems to match my requirements for dealing with a queue and its interface resemble what I would think of building if developing from scratch.

This is my involvement with AQ, so please direct me to any documentation I need to read or other information I should supply. I've read the concepts guide now I am re-reading whilst setting up some tests.

Thank you for your time.

Ben
  • 1. Re: Oracle *Streams* Advanced Queuing
    Justin Cave Oracle ACE
    Streams is a replication technology built on top of AQ. If you are just using AQ to propagate custom XML payloads between producers and consumers, you don't much care whether Oracle's statement of direction is to enhance Streams or push people to use GoldenGate for their asynchronous replication needs. AQ itself will continue to be supported not just to continue supporting Streams but to continue supporting AQ as a product feature.

Now, I suppose that the fact that one of Oracle's major uses of AQ is being phased out (assuming that new versions of GoldenGate don't start using AQ) means that new AQ features are less likely to get prioritized. But AQ itself is pretty robust technology so it's not really in need of a ton of new features.

Justin
  • 2. Re: Oracle *Streams* Advanced Queuing
    bencol Pro
    Justin
    Justin Cave wrote:
    Streams is a replication technology built on top of AQ
    This is what I have been trying to determine, as the documentation says the opposite:

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e11013/aq_intro.htm#autoId1 :
    It is built on top of Oracle Streams and ...

I'm having difficulty in finding documents that refer to AQ and Streams separately. I'm pretty confident that the AQ functionality will be OK or the forseeable future, but I'll need robust answers when clients ask about the techincal side and query the part that Streams is playing

Ben
  • 3. Re: Oracle *Streams* Advanced Queuing
    758358 Pro
    Hi,

The products overlap but the only statement of direction Oracle have given is around logical replication - as you already know - and this only states that Streams (for logical replication) will not be further developed (it's best features will incorporated into the GoldenGate product), crucially though Streams will continue to be supported and fixed where needed, they just aren't going to add anything else to this area unless it is needed to fix a bug.

If you have genuine concerns about the direction of Oracle in this area the only people who can give you a full and final answer on that are Oracle themselves - would suggest you or your management team speak to your Oracle Account Manager to get a formal statement if that is what is required to give people confidence in the products future.

I personally have heard nothing about AQ as a feature being discontinued / removed and as the previous post states it is now a well established feature so needs little work.

Hope this helps,

Paul
  • 4. Re: Oracle *Streams* Advanced Queuing
    phcullen-Oracle Explorer
    Hello,

AQ was introduced in Oracle 8.0 and Oracle Streams appeared in 9.2. Streams utilised features which had already been developed in the context of AQ but it is stated otherwise in the documentation. In terms of pure AQ functionality it has continued to be developed with new customer features up to and including 11.1 and internal changes were made in 11.2. In 12.1 it re-emerges as Oracle Advanced Queueing once again and has new functionality in 12.1 onwards.

Once 12.1 is released you will see the references to Streams have been removed from the AQ documentation.

Thanks
    Peter
  • 5. Re: Oracle *Streams* Advanced Queuing
    bencol Pro
    Thank you Peter for the historical perspective. I'll look though the 12.1 documentation when it becomes available.
  • 6. Re: Oracle *Streams* Advanced Queuing
    bencol Pro
    Paul,

We have raised this with Oracle Support (it's not part of my job to contact them), I posted here in case I have missed something in the documentation.

Ben
  • 7. Re: Oracle *Streams* Advanced Queuing
    bencol Pro
    This is the response we have had from Oracle:

+"As of now support has not received any information whether AQ will be desupported. But it will informed in advance in case it will be desupported.+
    +AQ and streams are different”+

Which looks like the person we contacted is not committing to anything. However the last sentence tells me that the lack of further enhancements to Streams will not affect AQ directly

Ben
  • 8. Re: Oracle *Streams* Advanced Queuing
    phcullen-Oracle Explorer
    Hello,

Can you let me know the SR number so I can review what has been said in it?

Thanks
    Peter

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points