This discussion is archived
2 Replies Latest reply: Jan 15, 2013 8:20 PM by 985100 RSS

[INS-20802] Grid Infrastructure Configuration failed.

985100 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I'm attempting to install 11g clusterware on 2 servers running Server 2008 R2. I have performed around 10-15 successful installs of this in the past and have verified everything is configured the same as in the past. Cluvfy.bat completes successfully with no errors.

The installation gets to Grid Infrastructure Configuration step and fails with this message:

[INS-20802] Grid Infrastructure Configuration failed.

Cause - The plug-in failed in its perform method Action - Refer to the logs or contact Oracle Support Services. Log File Location
C:\Program Files\Oracle\Inventory\logs\installActions2013-01-15_04-33-41PM.log

I have not been able to find any useful information in the log mentioned in this message. Any ideas?
  • 1. Re: [INS-20802] Grid Infrastructure Configuration failed.
    damorgan Oracle ACE Director
    Two ideas.

1. The fact that you can't find anything interesting in the logs doesn't mean we couldn't.

2. The fact that you can't find anything interesting in the logs doesn't mean Oracle Support couldn't.

But while we are here.

What is 11g clusterware? Last count I had that could be any one of 5 releases from 11.1.0.6 to 11.2.0.3.
    What is your storage solution? Describe in detail.
    What is your cache fusion interconnect solution? Describe in detail.
    Have you configured JumboFrames?
    Are the NIC cards all absolutely identical (right down to the firmware version) to those that have previously worked?
  • 2. Re: [INS-20802] Grid Infrastructure Configuration failed.
    985100 Newbie
    Thanks for the response. Was hoping to connect with someone (you or Oracle support) who could find something that I'm missing here :)

What is 11g clusterware? Last count I had that could be any one of 5 releases from 11.1.0.6 to 11.2.0.3. -
    *11g Release 2 (11.2.0.2) Patch Set 1. Running the Grid install OUI.*

What is your storage solution? Describe in detail. -
    EMC VNX3600 (I believe but am working on this remotely so cannot verify right now).  Using 3 2GB LUNS for the OCR/Voting disks.

What is your cache fusion interconnect solution? Describe in detail. -
    Using a segregated Dell GB unmanaged switch but do not have the model number.  This component is the same as in the past, successful installs.

Have you configured JumboFrames? -
    Have not done any special NIC configuration outside of configuring IP addresses and activating/deactivating properties per install documentation.

Are the NIC cards all absolutely identical (right down to the firmware version) to those that have previously worked?
    Nope, and I have a feeling this could be where the problem is happening.  The NIC card is a 2-port Broadcom BCM5709C NetXtreme II GigE.  Both the Public and Private connections are on this card (different subnets/private connected to separate GB switch).  In the past installations that were successful the NIC card was either an onboard HP or Intel adapter.  Not sure if there are any special properties with the Broadcom model that may need to be altered for this to work.

I have attempted to run the install from both of the servers with the same result. The VIP/SCAN addresses are successfully configured on whichever node I run the installer on but not on the remote node. Please let me know what other information I can provide or if there are any specific logs I can check for additional information. Thanks again!

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points