This discussion is archived
11 Replies Latest reply: Jan 17, 2013 5:48 AM by gimbal2 RSS

Java 7 Update 11 Not Working with Firefox

983179 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
For me, the problems described in the thread "Java 7 Update 10 Not Working with Firefox? " Java 7 Update 10 Not Working with Firefox?

are continuing with Java 7 Update 11.

Windows 7 64 bit
Firefox 18

The problem is that "Java(TM) Platform" is missing from the plug-in list.

I've uninstalled Java 7 Update 11 and reinstalled Java Update 9 which correctly installs the plugin and restores Java functionality which was broken immediately upon installing both Java 10 & 11.
  • 1. Re: Java 7 Update 11 Not Working with Firefox
    gimbal2 Guru
    That is because the fixes for these issues are in update 12 as far as I know - update 11 is an inbetween hotfix release. Try the update 12 preview to see if that DOES fix your issues.
  • 2. Re: Java 7 Update 11 Not Working with Firefox
    983179 Newbie
    gimbal2 wrote:
    That is because the fixes for these issues are in update 12 as far as I know - update 11 is an inbetween hotfix release. Try the update 12 preview to see if that DOES fix your issues.
    Just installed jre-7u12-ea-bin-b08-windows-i586-03_jan_2013, the Java 12 Update Preview.

Same behavior as Update 10 & 11 ... "Java(TM) Platform" is missing from the plug-in list and Java is thereby disabled.
  • 3. Re: Java 7 Update 11 Not Working with Firefox
    gimbal2 Guru
    That's a shame. Lets hope Roger (the only person from Oracle I have seen to actually respond to these kind of issues) spots this thread for further comment.
  • 4. Re: Java 7 Update 11 Not Working with Firefox
    984246 Newbie
    Dow you have Firefox Win32 or Win64 ?

Using Opera Win32 on Win64 i only see the problem with 32-bit browsers and onl starting with J7u11, J7u10 worked like charm

http://the-arioch.livejournal.com/10380.html

Hopefully there would be ticket on that. Search showed me nothing, so i filed one - yet they would review it for God knows how long before publishing
  • 5. Re: Java 7 Update 11 Not Working with Firefox
    983179 Newbie
    Windows 7 64bit
    Firefox 18 32bit

I installed the 32bit version of Java (always).
  • 6. Re: Java 7 Update 11 Not Working with Firefox
    984246 Newbie
    So why not using Ju11 ? You can workaround the issue. It would sucks but still be safer than using Ju9.

Also ask Mozilla forums if Firefox has options where to search for plugins.

Or try 64-bit Firefox.
  • 7. Re: Java 7 Update 11 Not Working with Firefox
    983179 Newbie
    981243 wrote:
    So why not using Ju11 ? You can workaround the issue. It would sucks but still be safer than using Ju9.

Also ask Mozilla forums if Firefox has options where to search for plugins.

Or try 64-bit Firefox.
    As I explained in both threads ...

Java 7 Update 10 Not Working with Firefox?
    Java 7 Update 11 Not Working with Firefox

... neither jre7u10 nor jre7u11 are working ... and they are BOTH broken with the same problem ... "Java(TM) Platform" pliugin is missing from the plug-in list. It cannot be enabled, because it simply is NOT there. A suggestion was made the jre7u12 will be the "fix" for this issue ... so I installed the Update 12 Preview and it sis ALSO broken, no "Java(TM) Platform" in the plug-in list.

The ONLY Java version that actually works for me is jre7u9.

As far as installing Firefox 64bit ... I see no future in installing a browser that has been discontinued.
    http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9233976/Mozilla_suspends_work_on_64_bit_Firefox_for_Windows

Even though Mozilla relented due to backlash, I continued development will be a somewhat low priority.
    http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9234997/Mozilla_compromises_on_x64_Firefox_after_user_backlash
  • 8. Re: Java 7 Update 11 Not Working with Firefox
    984246 Newbie
    Minor differens: 7u10 worked fine to me, only 7u11 failed.

The problem that plugin is not in the list is not that big really.

You can either
    1) add it to the Windows global list in the registry, Do manually what 7u9 installer did but 7u11 installer fails to do
    2) adjust ur browser settings to search for plugins in Java folders, additionally to the Windows-global list
    3) switch ur browser to 64 bit - despite "nightly" quality it may suit your needs, how can u know before testing.
    4) u also have an option to use dangerous 7u9 instead. But that is only an option, the matter of choice, not the requirement.

Edited by: 981243 on 17.01.2013 2:25
  • 9. Re: Java 7 Update 11 Not Working with Firefox
    985487 Newbie
    This is the first thread that came up in a Google search. So, for anyone who came here searching for a solution like me, go to Add/Remove Programs (XP) or Programs and Features (Win 7) and UNINSTALL JAVAFX. That's what worked for me.Then try Firefox again.

I see that RoKphish already tried that in another thread and it didn't work for him, but there should be a solution somewhere other than use a "risky" version or an unsupported browser.

Have you tried searching the registry for JavaFX or old versions of Java? I've had problems in the past, particularly with Java, with bits and pieces of old versions not completely cleaned up when I used the Java Uninstaller. you could try JavaRa or some third party uninstaller like that, then try to reinstall.

Edited by: 982484 on Jan 17, 2013 5:19 AM
  • 10. Re: Java 7 Update 11 Not Working with Firefox
    984246 Newbie
    There is a solution, actually two solutions!
    You either point your browser to the plugin folder, or you register plugin in Windows manually, what the installer forgets to do.

http://the-arioch.livejournal.com/10380.html
  • 11. Re: Java 7 Update 11 Not Working with Firefox
    gimbal2 Guru
    Yes that thread lists the known problem which is fixed in update 12 (or should be fixed in update 12). But as you can see in this thread not everyone is experiencing exactly that problem, there is more going on. One other problem is the existence of an old manually installed JavaFX runtime for example.

So please people: keep solutions and ideas coming but don't automatically assume that because it worked for you it is going to work for everyone. And please: read the entire thread before responding. Chances are that what you Googled has already been listed.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points