This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Jan 16, 2013 2:38 AM by Christian Erlinger RSS

How to change System user Account_status From Expired to Open in Oracle DB

985176 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi All,

I want to create new Openbravo instance with oracle database,while creating instance its showing ORA-28001 password expired. I login as SYS User and changed the password_life time to unlimited.But again i was trying to install new instance of Openbravo the same error is showing ORA-28001password expired. Then i checked the System USer Account_status is expired.How to change the status to be OPEN ? If i changed it will affect to the any existing database?

If anyone knows the solution please help me out.

Thanks and Regards,
Deepthy
  • 1. Re: How to change System user Account_status From Expired to Open in Oracle DB
    Christian Erlinger Guru
    Hopefully you don't install it into your system schema...

anyway; besides setting the password lifetime of your default profile to unlimited you'd still need to reset the password of your system account (or any other expired accounts for that matter):
    alter user system identified by <your_pw>;
    cheers

Edited by: christian erlinger on 16.01.2013 01:29
  • 2. Re: How to change System user Account_status From Expired to Open in Oracle DB
    O.Developer Journeyer
    HI

Paste here your sql statement which you executed to create the user ?
  • 3. Re: How to change System user Account_status From Expired to Open in Oracle DB
    985176 Newbie
    Hi,

If i changed the system user password it will affect to the currently using database or not?
    if i changed any other portion i have to change this password

Thanks and Regards,
    Deepthy
  • 4. Re: How to change System user Account_status From Expired to Open in Oracle DB
    Christian Erlinger Guru
    The default password policy is by default configured so you can reuse the very same password. So if this old password is known to you you could simply
    alter user system identified by <old_pw>;
    If i changed the system user password it will affect to the currently using database or not?
    if i changed any other portion i have to change this password
    That would depend on you and your database. It is a very bad idea to create objects in the SYS/SYSTEM/SYSAUX schemas, and if you or everybody else using your database did not do this all applications running on your database should not be affected. If you have however some things done with the system account, like for example a external script doing a expdp with the SYSTEM account then this script will fail after you change the password (but it wouldn't have worked anyway as the SYSTEM account is expired).

However; if you change the password to the old value nothing should happen at all.

By the way the database itself doesn't care if you change the SYSTEM accounts password to any value, it will do it's work regardless of that. So if you are running on a test database on your own where nothing and nobody except you is playing around then there is absolutely no harm in changing the passwords of the SYS/SYSTEM accounts whatsoever.

cheers

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points