3 Replies Latest reply: Jan 16, 2013 5:33 AM by Akanksha Sheoran Kaler-Oracle RSS

EM12c Two System Upgrade - Questions About Post-Install Steps

Laura Sallwasser
      Hi DBAs:
      I'm using the two system process from EM11.1 and have upgraded the OMS. Immediately after the OMS upgrade, I switched three agents. The agents support a cluster. I complied with the post-upgrade tasks Deferred Data Migration and Accrued Data Migration. Last, I signed off on the migration for these three agents and everything seems* fine. My question:

I have switched a second set of agents which support a different cluster. Is it correct that each agent migrated will call for a fresh run of the Deferred Data Migration and Accrued Data Migration jobs?

Thank you,

Laura Sallwasser
        • 1. Re: EM12c Two System Upgrade - Questions About Post-Install Steps
          Akanksha Sheoran Kaler-Oracle
          Yes, as and when you switch agents in batches the Accrued Data Migration job is triggered. To better understand this concept :

in the 2-System upgrade approach, you can choose to switch over your Management Agents in phases. When one set of Management Agents are switched over, they start uploading data about their hosts and targets to the upgraded Management Repository, whereas the ones that are not switched over yet, continue to upload data about their hosts and targets to the old Management Repository. Therefore, the earlier releases of Management Agents coexist with the upgraded ones when only some of them are switched over, and under such circumstances, the data is uploaded to the old Management Repository as well as the new one at a given point. However, note that only one Management Agent represents a host at any given time, so the coexistence does not indicate two Management Agents on the same host. It only indicates an earlier release of Management Agent monitoring a host that coexists with an upgraded Management Agent monitoring another host.

When you swtich over the next set of Management Agents in the next phase, although they start uploading data to the upgraded Management Repository, the data uploaded to the old Management Repository before being switched over continues to exist in the old Management Repository.
          • 2. Re: EM12c Two System Upgrade - Questions About Post-Install Steps
            Laura Sallwasser
            Hi Akanksha:
            Thank you for the update. I am in EM12c now, in the Deferred Data Migration tab. The components listed all have a status of completed on the date I upgraded the first group of agents. If I try to Start any of them, EM12c returns this error:
            "Selected job(s) are either running or completed.". There are no running jobs under Job Activity. Is it correct that Deferred Data Migration is a one-time action? And that only Accrued Data Migration is needed as agents are migrated?

Thank you,
            Laura Sallwasser
            • 3. Re: EM12c Two System Upgrade - Questions About Post-Install Steps
              Akanksha Sheoran Kaler-Oracle
              yes, Deferred Data Migration is a one-time action. Your understanding is correct