This discussion is archived
7 Replies Latest reply: Jun 26, 2013 9:24 AM by VijayanandSettin RSS

Could not locate OCI dll

569278 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,

I have OracleEx 10g and Odp.NET 11g (ODTwithODAC1110620.exe) installed on my machine, now when I try to install OUnit11 I got the error as title.

I have in my enviroment variables "PATH" the following:
C:\app\ahmad\product\11.1.0\client_1; (this the path for odp.net 11g)
C:\app\ahmad\product\11.1.0\client_1\bin; (this the path for odp.net11g)
C:\oraclexe\app\oracle\product\10.2.0\server\bin; (this for OracleEx 10g)

is it correct that the existence of two Oracle Home the envrioment variables causes this problem? if not, then how to fix the error I am getting?

Thanx,
  • 1. Re: Could not locate OCI dll
    569278 Newbie
    Okay, I found this in the forums:
    oci.dll not found when installing 11g client and using PL/SQL

I don't know if it is apply in my case because I right click on "C:\app" but there is nothing called "authenticated users" in the users names!

so should I add it?
  • 2. Re: Could not locate OCI dll
    569278 Newbie
    Any idea?
  • 3. Re: Could not locate OCI dll
    629590 Newbie
    Guys, I installed Oracle 11g client because of the reported fix of System.Transactions issue known in 10g. I use PL/SQL developer, and it told me "Initialization error: Could not locate OCI dll", though the registry entry and ORAHOME folder it showed were Ok. It seems like PL/SQL developer was looking for OCI.dll not in the reported ORAHOME folder but in ORAHOME\bin folder. After copying all files (luckily, they are quite few) from ORAHOME root to bin PL/SQL developer began to work correctly.
  • 4. Re: Could not locate OCI dll
    569278 Newbie
    Aftering doing the same as you did, the error message no more appears, but now it gives me each time I try to log on "Not Logged On" message :(

Thanks for your response :)
  • 5. Re: Could not locate OCI dll
    985137 Newbie
    Hello
    after a follow what you did, and copy all dlls to \bin directory,error is changed to "could not resolve the connect identifier specified"

i have oracle client 10g and ODP.net 11g, i dont know about solution , help plz

thanks
    Honey
  • 6. Re: Could not locate OCI dll
    EdStevens Guru
    982134 wrote:
    Hello
    after a follow what you did, and copy all dlls to \bin directory,error is changed to "could not resolve the connect identifier specified"

i have oracle client 10g and ODP.net 11g, i dont know about solution , help plz

thanks
    Honey
    Did you notice that you are hijacking a thread that is almost FIVE YEARS old?!?!?!

For a problem that has nothing to do with the subject of the five year old thread??

You should have started your own thread for your own issue, but since we are here, I strongly suspect that your "could not resolve the connect identifier specified" was also accompanied by the actual error code of ora-12154. You can read my description of the cause and resolution of that [url http://edstevensdba.wordpress.com/2011/02/26/ora-12154tns-03505/] here 
  • 7. Re: Could not locate OCI dll
    VijayanandSettin Newbie

I found one of the replies in another thread useful.

1. PL/SQL Developer -> Tools Menu -> Oracle -> Connection entry : Set Oracle Home and OCI Library paths.

Set the OCI path tp C:\oracle\product\11.2.0\client_2\oci.dll

2. Copy oci.dll into C:\oracle\product\11.2.0\client_2\bin

It looks like the tool looks for oci.dll in the home dir when it logs in and needs it in the bin dir while running querybuilder.