9 Replies Latest reply: Jan 17, 2013 1:54 AM by Harsh_v RSS

Database installation GUI

Igor S.
      Hi folks,

I am trying to learn all I can about installing a oracle DB on unix. Most people said that big data servers dont use GUI. Well thats kinds my problem I have no idea where to start with installing from shell.

So my question would be if anyone knows about step by step guide on how to install the database?

Is it possible to use "Oracle Universal Installer" on a unix with no GUI?

I heard there are some sort of client side emulators so when you connect to a unix system you have a GUI that generates shell commands?

Best regards,
      Igor
        • 1. Re: Database installation GUI
          EdStevens
          Igor S. wrote:
          Hi folks,

I am trying to learn all I can about installing a oracle DB on unix. Most people said that big data servers dont use GUI. Well thats kinds my problem I have no idea where to start with installing from shell.

So my question would be if anyone knows about step by step guide on how to install the database?

Is it possible to use "Oracle Universal Installer" on a unix with no GUI?

I heard there are some sort of client side emulators so when you connect to a unix system you have a GUI that generates shell commands?

Best regards,
          Igor
          There is the 'silent' install, but it can be a bit tricky to configure, especially for beginners.

How much experience do you have with unix/linux? What version are you using? Where do you have it installed.

The way nix handles graphical interfaces is via x-windows.  The graphical output is redirected to an ip address and port where it will find an x-windows server that can render the graphics.  The way this normally works is to first connect to the nix system with a client program like ssh or PuTTY or telnet (telnet is less secure and I believe has pretty much been abandoned as a result). The session is configured (by any of various methods) to indicate how x-windows is to be redirected, indicating that it is to be redirected to you desktop.

That's the high level explanation. In practice, here's the details as I do it. (remember, I said there were various ways of doing it).
          First, I install an x-windows server on my Windows workstation. There are various products for this, but I use xming. It is freely available, drop-dead simple to install, and doesn't come with a lot of extra bells and whistles.
          Next, I install PuTTY on my Windows workstation. Again, freely available.
          Next, in PuTTY I define a connection to my *nix server.  As part of that connection definition I 'enable x11 forwarding'. 
          Next, start xming on the workstation
          Next, start a putty session to the server
          In that putty session, test the xwindows by executing 'xclock'. You should get a graphical clock application pop up on your workstation. If that works, the Oracle installer GUI will work. If not, not.
          • 2. Re: Database installation GUI
            Igor S.
            The main reason behind installing it on Unix is to try and get as close to a real life environment. (I wanna transit from PL/SQL programmer to DBA someday).

I got Oracle Virtual Box with Oracle Linux 6.3 installed and no GUI and Ubuntu Linux with GUI. I got college experiance with unix/linux. I can work my way around directories and edit files. No idea on how to install drivers, programs etc. So I guess you can say I know basics.

So what would be your advice. Where to start?

Best regards,
            Igor
            • 3. Re: Database installation GUI
              EdStevens
              Igor S. wrote:
              The main reason behind installing it on Unix is to try and get as close to a real life environment. (I wanna transit from PL/SQL programmer to DBA someday).

I got Oracle Virtual Box with Oracle Linux 6.3 installed and no GUI and Ubuntu Linux with GUI. I got college experiance with unix/linux. I can work my way around directories and edit files. No idea on how to install drivers, programs etc. So I guess you can say I know basics.

So what would be your advice. Where to start?

Best regards,
              Igor
              To start, I'd lose the Ubuntu unless you need/want it for something unrelated to Oracle. It is not a certified product for any Oracle product, so as far as anything here is concerned, it is at best irrelevant and at worst a total waste of time and energy.

Next, as I said in my previous post, you need to download and install xming on your desktop. I trust you know how to use google to accomplish this.
              Next, as I said in my previous post, you need to download and install PuTTY on your desktop. I trust you know how to use google to accomplish this.
              Next, you need to properly configure your virtual OL server. Please read my posting on this subject [url http://edstevensdba.wordpress.com/category/personal-test-systems/] Here

Once you have done the above, go into putty and create a connection definition to your vm. Be sure to drill down into the navigation tree on the left to locate Connection --> SSH --> Auth --> X11, and enable X11 Forwarding. Go back to the top level of the navigtion tree and save the connection definition.

Once you have done all of the above, and can get a putty session established to your vm, you are ready to install your database, exactly as per the Installation Guide.
              You still have a lot of details to overcome in a lot of different areas, but that is part of your learning and professional development. the above will at least get your basic infrastructure in place.
              • 4. Re: Database installation GUI
                Igor S.
                I will definitely try this out and thank you for the link. Also with the question "Where to start?" I didnt want to focus the question down to just the x-window emulation part. The question was more in general sense. Like is the x-window the right approach or maybe invest more time into working with shell since most people say "If you know how to do it in shell doing it in GUI isn't a problem"?

Best regards,
                Igor
                • 5. Re: Database installation GUI
                  EdStevens
                  Igor S. wrote:
                  I will definitely try this out and thank you for the link. Also with the question "Where to start?" I didnt want to focus the question down to just the x-window emulation part. The question was more in general sense. Like is the x-window the right approach or maybe invest more time into working with shell since most people say "If you know how to do it in shell doing it in GUI isn't a problem"?

Best regards,
                  Igor
                  The statement "If you know how to do it in shell doing it in GUI isn't a problem" is also more general than your specific issue. You don't want to depend on a gui for navigating the directory tree, executing os commands, executing sqlplus, running sql scripts, etc etc. As a DBA it is critical that you know your way around a command prompt. And you will need to learn a fair amount of OS admin stuff .. become a backup SA, so to speak. You can't be an effective DBA without at least being a "power user" at the OS command prompt.

However, The Oracle OUI is a graphical tool, which in nix means you will* have to deal with x-windows. Learning how to deal with that is in itself a critical part of your education.

Edited by: EdStevens on Jan 16, 2013 8:59 AM
                  • 6. Re: Database installation GUI
                    Srini Chavali-Oracle
                    Pl see my blog (linked in my profile) for detailed steps on how to install 11gR2 in a Linux VM guest on a Win 7 Home host

HTH
                    Srini
                    • 7. Re: Database installation GUI
                      Harsh_v
                      Dear Igor S. ..... please follow these 10 steps for oracle 10g installation on redhat 5.5. you can easily install oracle.

1- Required hardware

PARTITION NAME          PARTITION SIZE
                             ______________          ______________

1.    /boot               150 MB
                          2.    /                      5   GB
                          3.    /swap               = RAM or <  RAM 
                          4.    /tmp               500 MB
                          5.    /var               4   GB
                          6.    /usr               5  GB
                          7.    /Log               16  GB
                          8.    /u01               10  GB (in case of oracle only)
                          9.    /home               All free space

2- RPM installaton------(rpm -ivh <rpm_name>, rpm -qa (for chequ rpm))

* binutils-2.15.92.0.2-10.EL4
                          * compat-db-4.1.25-9
                          * control-center-2.8.0-12
                          * gcc-3.4.3-9.EL4
                          * gcc-c++-3.4.3-9.EL4
                          * glibc-2.3.4-2
                          * glibc-common-2.3.4-2
                          * gnome-libs-1.4.1.2.90-44.1
                          * libstdc++-3.4.3-9.EL4
                          * libstdc++-devel-3.4.3-9.EL4
                          * make-3.80-5
                          * pdksh-5.2.14-30
                          * sysstat-5.0.5-1
                          * xscreensaver-4.18-5.rhel4.2
                          * libaio-0.3.96
                          * openmotif21-2.1.30-11.RHEL4.2
                          * libXp-1.0.0-8.i386.rpm

3-
                      Check netwok configurations

vi /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-eth
                      vi /etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles/default/resolv.conf

service network restart
                      chkconfig network on
                      chkconfig  iptables off
                      service iptables stop
                      chkconfig sendmail off
                      service sendmail stop

4- For network congrigration change  for oracle

vi /etc/hosts
                      192.168.1.222 <dns_name>

5-
                      ## system configuration change Login from root user and add following entries to (Remamber always appen at last of the file)

vi /etc/sysctl.conf  

kernel.shmmax = 2147483648
                      kernel.shmmni = 4096
                      kernel.shmall = 2097152
                      kernel.sem = 250 32000 100 128
                      fs.file-max = 65536
                      net.ipv4.ip_local_port_range = 1024 65000
                      net.core.rmem_default = 262144
                      net.core.rmem_max = 262144
                      net.core.wmem_default = 262144
                      net.core.wmem_max = 262144

## In addition the following lines can be added to the 

vi /etc/security/limits.conf 

oracle soft nofile 1024
                      oracle hard nofile 65536
                      oracle soft nproc 2047
                      oracle hard nproc 16384

## when we get error 'redhat 4' at the time of ./runinstaller

vi /etc/redhat-release
                      redhat 4

6-
                      ## add oracle users and groups

groupadd oinstall
                      groupadd dba
                      groupadd oper
                      useradd -g oinstall -G dba,oper -n oracle
                      passwd oracle
                      su - oracle

7-
                      vi .bash_profile

export ORACLE_BASE=/u01/app/oracle
                      export ORACLE_HOME=/u01/app/oracle/product/10.2.0/
                      export ORACLE_SID=orcl
                      export ORACLE_TERM=term
                      export PATH=$PATH:$ORACLE_HOME/bin:

. .bash_profile

8-chown oracle.dba /u01

9-please unzip "10201_database_linux_x86_64.cpio.gz"
                      cd database
                      ./runinstallar

10-
                      root # sh orainstRoot.sh
                      root # sh root.sh
                      • 8. Re: Database installation GUI
                        Igor S.
                        Thank you all,

Will need sometime to try it all out. A lot of info for one day :)

Best regards,
                        Igor
                        • 9. Re: Database installation GUI
                          Harsh_v
                          its our pleasure.. :)