This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Jan 21, 2013 10:12 PM by matthew_morris RSS

Oracle certification

886282 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi, Can any one tell me the complete process of Oracle certification as I stay in banglore India.
  • 1. Re: Oracle certification
    Osama_Mustafa Oracle ACE
    Please follow the below link
    http://education.oracle.com/pls/web_prod-plq-dad/db_pages.getpage?page_id=39

also there's Section for Oracle certification Question in this forum
  • 2. Re: Oracle certification
    Aman.... Oracle ACE
    883279 wrote:
    Hi, Can any one tell me the complete process of Oracle certification as I stay in banglore India.
    Study for the respective exam, book your exam and finally, write it and pass it and voila, you are done! And for all the things, you can check the link given already.

Aman....
  • 3. Re: Oracle certification
    Rob_J Journeyer
    And.....Pay to go on an Oracle course before you can get certified!

Don't waste your money on certification if you have no real world experience is my opinion. The amount of DBAs that I've interviewed who've been on all the courses and have loads of certificates but couldn't answer the most basic of questions amazes me. Spend your time trying to get better experience first and then do the qualifications to back up your experience, and already knowing a lot of the basics from doing the job will help you with your study.

That is just my personal opinion though :)
  • 4. Re: Oracle certification
    nickwoodward Newbie
    chicken and egg though, isn't it?

i'm in the same situation. i've got a masters in something called 'applied informatics', which looks at ERP systems and system design more generally, but doesn't really give me usable skills to go straight into a job. so i have decided to go the OCA route.

but how can i persuade an employer that i know enough sql? surely a certification is the best way to prove it?
  • 5. Re: Oracle certification
    matthew_morris Expert
    but how can i persuade an employer that i know enough sql? surely a certification is the best way to prove it?
    I'm a huge certification advocate, but even I won't go so far as to say that a most certifications prove anything. The only exceptions are the absolute most hard-core ones like the Cisco certification where you get thrown into room with a bunch of switches and routers and are told to fix 'em or the OCM which is similar, but with a broken database.

That said, getting certified demonstrates that you have sufficient knowledge to pass the required exams. It also shows that you are interested enough in your career to pursue the certifications. Just the act of studying for the exam is improving your SQL which is a benefit that doesn't depend on a piece of paper.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points