This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply: Jan 17, 2013 2:26 PM by EdStevens RSS

How/where to acquire Oracle SQL*Plus version 10.2.0.0.0 or higher.

emss Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I have been instructed by an Oracle support Tech to run a diagnostic .sql using Oracle SQL*Plus 10.2.0.0.0 or higher. I currently have 10.1.0.4.2.

This was acquired by Development Suite 10g. Therefore, I reinstalled today using current Oracle 10g version, and nothing chaned regarding SQL*Plus...same version as a year ago.

So, how do I acquire a 10.2.0 (or higher) version of SQL*Plus. I develop using a windows based client; Oracle EBS product 12.1.3; Database version 11g 11.1.0.7.0.

Edited by: emss on Jan 16, 2013 6:43 AM
  • 1. Re: How/where to acquire Oracle SQL*Plus version 10.2.0.0.0 or higher.
    vlethakula Expert
    check this
    http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/topics/winsoft-085727.html
  • 2. Re: How/where to acquire Oracle SQL*Plus version 10.2.0.0.0 or higher.
    Bawer Journeyer
    you can install oracle client software or download/install SQLDeveloper (it's a great tool).
  • 3. Re: How/where to acquire Oracle SQL*Plus version 10.2.0.0.0 or higher.
    EdStevens Guru
    emss wrote:
    I have been instructed by an Oracle support Tech to run a diagnostic .sql using Oracle SQL*Plus 10.2.0.0.0 or higher. I currently have 10.1.0.4.2.

This was acquired by Development Suite 10g. Therefore, I reinstalled today using current Oracle 10g version, and nothing chaned regarding SQL*Plus...same version as a year ago.

So, how do I acquire a 10.2.0 (or higher) version of SQL*Plus. I develop using a windows based client; Oracle EBS product 12.1.3; Database version 11g 11.1.0.7.0.

Edited by: emss on Jan 16, 2013 6:43 AM
    Generally, one doesn't download/install sqlplus in a vacuum. It is simply the 'lowest common denominator user interface' that comes along with any installation of the oracle client. So just download/install the latest oracle 11.2 client.

If we knew what your original problem was, we might be able to shed some light on your requirement and why "oracle support" made the request as you interpreted it.
  • 4. Re: How/where to acquire Oracle SQL*Plus version 10.2.0.0.0 or higher.
    emss Newbie
    Thank you, but I'm still a little lost.

This web-page (http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/topics/winsoft-085727.html ) has instantclient_basic-nt-11.2.0.3.0 as a .zip file. All the versions on this page are for "NT".

I am not in an NT envirionment (Windows XP). Would I still use this .zip file or is there a different version to consider?

Edited by: emss on Jan 16, 2013 7:08 AM

Edited by: emss on Jan 16, 2013 7:09 AM
  • 5. Re: How/where to acquire Oracle SQL*Plus version 10.2.0.0.0 or higher.
    vlethakula Expert
    Yes, I think so.
  • 6. Re: How/where to acquire Oracle SQL*Plus version 10.2.0.0.0 or higher.
    emss Newbie
    I am really confused on this download's installation.

I have downloaded the basic version, instantclient-nt-11.2.0.3.0.zip, and the instantclient-sqlplus-nt-11.2.0.3.zip. I extracted both to a common C:\ location.

Now what? How do I install instant client...there is not install.exe...???

As I mentioned, I currently use the Oracle Develeopment Suite 10g. Do I need to copy all the downloaded objects into a folder of the Development Suite.

Any help on this INSTANT install is greatly appreciated. I appologize for my ingnorance, but this download install simply doesn't make sense the first time trying to install.

Edited by: emss on Jan 16, 2013 8:03 AM
  • 7. Re: How/where to acquire Oracle SQL*Plus version 10.2.0.0.0 or higher.
    Aman.... Oracle ACE
    If I am not wrong, 10g and it's related downloads have been taken away from the OTN and are only available from Oracle Support on request. So if the support executive is asking you to install the 102 client, it's better if you would ask him to only to give you the access of the same too.

Aman....
  • 8. Re: How/where to acquire Oracle SQL*Plus version 10.2.0.0.0 or higher.
    emss Newbie
    Sorry, not even close. Dev Suite 10.1 is offered....I re-loaded it yesterday. The problem is the sql*plus that accompanies this download is obsolete.
  • 9. Re: How/where to acquire Oracle SQL*Plus version 10.2.0.0.0 or higher.
    emss Newbie
    Still seeking a solution: How to install instant client? I've downloaded and unzipped and added the PATH as instructed...but nothing works.
  • 10. Re: How/where to acquire Oracle SQL*Plus version 10.2.0.0.0 or higher.
    EdStevens Guru
    emss wrote:
    Still seeking a solution: How to install instant client? I've downloaded and unzipped and added the PATH as instructed...but nothing works.
    There's nothing to install. Just unzip the downloads into a common directory, and add that directory to your PATH. You'll need to create a tnsnames.ora file and add the environment variable TNS_ADMIN to point to that.

The instructions might be a little indirect to actually locate, but they are [url http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/features/instant-client/index-100365.html] here

As for the tnsname.ora and the tns_admin directory, I don't put that in the same directory to which I unzip the instant client, but along side it. So, if I put the instant client at 'c:\app\oracle\instant_client, then I put the tnsnames in 'c:\app\oracle\tns_admin'. Then I add 'c:\app\oracle\instant_client' to my PATH, and add a system environment variable TNS_ADMIN with a value of c:\app\oracle\tns_admin'.
  • 11. Re: How/where to acquire Oracle SQL*Plus version 10.2.0.0.0 or higher.
    Justin Cave Oracle ACE
    You probably don't want the Instant Client. That's for people that are developing applications that want to install a stripped down version of the Oracle client along with their application.

If you go to the 11g database download page

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/enterprise-edition/downloads/index.html

and choose the "See All" link next to whatever platform you are using (I'm guessing either 32- or 64-bit Windows), you should see an option to download the Oracle Database 11g Release 2 Client (11.2.0.1.0) for Microsoft Windows. This should be a ~600 MB download. Download and install that-- you probably only need the runtime install when the installer asks.

Justin
  • 12. Re: How/where to acquire Oracle SQL*Plus version 10.2.0.0.0 or higher.
    emss Newbie
    Thank you for your help. Maybe I'm getting closer, but yet to launch a successful session. I've followed all the instructions and can start the version of sql*plus.exe in the instant client folder. However, I am not provided an Oracle Instance at log in.

In the past, I used the SQLPlusW.exe...which is unsupported in the 11g environment. I am trying hard to use Oracle's tool as designed, but this is incredibly difficult to configure and support (the first time).

I added the tnsnames.ora which has my companies setups. However when I start the sqlplus.exe, I receive no instance to log into. I get two messages after attempting a pw entry as follows: ORA-01034: ORACLE not available; and ORA-27101: shared memory realm does not exist.

Any pointers would be appreciated. The Oracle instances are on shared servers using Linux. I did download and install 11g2_r2 database too as well as the instant client download. Finally, I have a version of 10g Development suite fully installed. Like I said...really trying hard to upgrade the sql*plus version....

Edited by: emss on Jan 17, 2013 9:01 AM

Edited by: emss on Jan 17, 2013 9:03 AM
  • 13. Re: How/where to acquire Oracle SQL*Plus version 10.2.0.0.0 or higher.
    jgarry Guru
    That normally means a bad oracle sid. See http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/features/oci/ic-faq-094177.html#A4428 (or show us your connect string).
  • 14. Re: How/where to acquire Oracle SQL*Plus version 10.2.0.0.0 or higher.
    emss Newbie
    all objects documented below are located in C:\...TNS_Admin folder (instant client install path similar to path structure mentioned by EdStevens). The tnsnames.ora and SQLNet.ora1 were copied from Development_Suite\NETWORK\ADMIN.

Here are several key entries from tnsnames.ora :
    TOMACC=
    (DESCRIPTION=
    (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=txri-oprdracdb-1-vip.tomkinsbp.com)(PORT=1522))
    (CONNECT_DATA=
    (SERVICE_NAME=TOMACC)
    (INSTANCE_NAME=TOMACC1)
    )
    )

EBSOTM=
    (DESCRIPTION=
    (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=txri-ebsdevdb-1.tomkinsbp.com)(PORT=1523))
    (CONNECT_DATA=
    (SERVICE_NAME=EBSOTM)
    (INSTANCE_NAME=EBSOTM)
    )
    )

TOMAC5=
    (DESCRIPTION=
    (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=txri-oqadb-1.tomkinsbp.com)(PORT=10501))
    (CONNECT_DATA=
    (SERVICE_NAME=TOMAC5)
    (INSTANCE_NAME=TOMAC5)
    )
    )

TOMAC6=
    (DESCRIPTION=
    (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=txri-oprdapp2-2.tomkinsbp.com)(PORT=1521))
    (CONNECT_DATA=
    (SERVICE_NAME=TOMAC6)
    (INSTANCE_NAME=TOMAC6)
    )
    )

Here is sqlnet.ora1 (not sure the 1 should be there...but I copied it from Development_Suite as is:

# sqlnet.ora Network Configuration File: C:\DevSuiteHome_1\network\admin\sqlnet.ora
    # Generated by Oracle configuration tools.

SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES= (NTS)

NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH= (LDAP, TNSNAMES, EZCONNECT, ONAMES, HOSTNAME)

Here is Listener.Ora - looks totally wrong - likely created when I installed 11g_r2 is my guess
    # listener.ora Network Configuration File: C:\Program Files\app\Oracle\tns_Admin\listener.ora
    # Generated by Oracle configuration tools.

SID_LIST_LISTENER =
    (SID_LIST =
    (SID_DESC =
    (SID_NAME = CLRExtProc)
    (ORACLE_HOME = C:\app\eswistak\product\11.2.0\dbhome_1)
    (PROGRAM = extproc)
    (ENVS = "EXTPROC_DLLS=ONLY:C:\app\eswistak\product\11.2.0\dbhome_1\bin\oraclr11.dll")
    )
    )

LISTENER =
    (DESCRIPTION_LIST =
    (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = EXTPROC1521))
    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = localhost)(PORT = 1521))
    )
    )

ADR_BASE_LISTENER = C:\app\eswistak
1 2 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points