This discussion is archived
8 Replies Latest reply: Jan 17, 2013 6:05 PM by EdStevens RSS

Windows OS account for Oracle

985086 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
My questiom is:
DB version 10g Platform - Windows 2003
If we installed oracle software under user "A", Can we do all type of maintenance, patching, backup,recovery and all troubleshooting without login in as user "A" ? OR Can we make user "A"(oracle installation user) non-interactive mode so that we can''t login under user "A"?
Is there any kind of task in Oracle for which we need user "A" to be in interactive login mode? Do you think we can do ever task in oracle as non-installation user?
  • 1. Re: Windows OS account for Oracle
    TSharma-Oracle Guru
    You need to install the Oracle Database software using OS local Administrator.
    You can not do all the maintenance with another user.
  • 2. Re: Windows OS account for Oracle
    985086 Newbie
    The reason I am asking this because in here we installed oracle under service account(OS account). Now we wanto make that OS account totally non-interactive means we will not be able to login to this service account. My question was Should we need this account for login in order to maintain oracle for any case including upgrade?

Also, What kind of things we cannot do with another user?

Edited by: 982083 on Jan 16, 2013 8:30 AM
  • 3. Re: Windows OS account for Oracle
    TSharma-Oracle Guru
    You can start and stop the databases.
    But you can not upgrade and configure new listener.

You can not modify the configuration.
  • 4. Re: Windows OS account for Oracle
    985086 Newbie
    Now question is : If we installed a database with user "A"(OS local Admin)? Can we upgrade the same database with user "B" (also OS local admin)?
  • 5. Re: Windows OS account for Oracle
    Osama_Mustafa Oracle ACE
    982083 wrote:
    Now question is : If we installed a database with user "A"(OS local Admin)? Can we upgrade the same database with user "B" (also OS local admin)?
    Why You want to do all that ? what is the purpose of Install Oracle Database with User and Upgrade with Different User ??
  • 6. Re: Windows OS account for Oracle
    TSharma-Oracle Guru
    Different username with same local admin privileges can do any kind of maintenance(like database software upgrade).
  • 7. Re: Windows OS account for Oracle
    Srini Ramaswamy Newbie
    Little more detailed information

* Oracle service will always run using Local System account - unless you have explicitly configured to run as a different user - I personally run using an explicit service account
    * As the previous user said - it does not matter - add the current user to local admin and ORA_DBA group in windows and all is good

-Srini
  • 8. Re: Windows OS account for Oracle
    EdStevens Guru
    TSharma wrote:
    You need to install the Oracle Database software using OS local Administrator.
    I haven't actually installed Oracle on Windows since 9.something, but when I was doing it, people would often state the requirements as being a 'local administrator' - as in a local account, in the local admin group. That's not exactly what you said, but I just wanted to clarify ... while you DO have to be an account that is a member of the local "Administrators" group, it does NOT have to be a local account. A domain account will work as well, as long as that domain account is in the local "Admin" group. I am currently supporting 10.2 databases on Windows Server 2003, and use a domain account for all my work there.
    You can not do all the maintenance with another user.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points