This discussion is archived
8 Replies Latest reply: Jan 22, 2013 12:43 PM by 611900 RSS

TimesTen Database and Replication

611900 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello Gurus,

I want to know how robust the real-time transactional replication of TimeTen is.

We currently have Oracle RDBMS and using streams and we are planing to use TimesTen In-Memory DB.

In current setup we have challenges with replication using streams and knowing that Oracle is more intersted in developing Golden Gate as their replication solution, I wonder how good or robust TimesTen real-time transactional replication is and is Oracle committed to provide upgrades and updates to ot's replication solution.

Will appreciate your view on this.

Thanks,
Roopesh
  • 1. Re: TimesTen Database and Replication
    ChrisJenkins Guru
    Full disclosure: I am probably biased because I am part of the TimesTen development team.

TimesTen replication is very mature and robust. It is used by 1000s of customer in mission critical systems. We are fully committed to maintaining and enhancing it.

Chris
  • 2. Re: TimesTen Database and Replication
    Gennady Sigalaev Journeyer
    Hi Roopesh,

I'm not biased, because I don't work for Oracle :).

First of all, what kind of replication we are discussing? Oracle DB -> TimesTen or TimesTen -> Timesten?

For TimesTen -> Timesten replication, there is only one way - to use the predefined settings. This replication works fine, unfortunately I haven't done any performance tests, but I trust Chris in this question. I tested the Active-Standby pair replication (works with Oracle Clusterware) and it works fine as well.

For Oracle DB -> TimesTen replication, you have some options. What kind of cache group are you going to use? How many transactions per second your Oracle DB is processing?
    You can use the TimesTen predefined mechanism or Golden Gate (recommended for High Load).

Hope this help.

Best regards,
    Gena
  • 3. Re: TimesTen Database and Replication
    611900 Newbie
    Thanks Chris and Gena!

I am looking for Times-Ten to Times-Ten and I want standby be in read-only mode and whenever there is a need we can flip it to Primary.

Thanks!
  • 4. Re: TimesTen Database and Replication
    ChrisJenkins Guru
    In that case you want TimesTen active/standby pair replication. That's exactly what you just described :-)

Chris
  • 5. Re: TimesTen Database and Replication
    611900 Newbie
    I am just worried about the Replication/Synchronization between Active/Standby in TimesTen. We would lke to use Golden Gate for replication but looks like it is able to replicate from Oracle DB to TimesTen but not from TimesTen to TimesTen. Is this correct ?

Thanks!
  • 6. Re: TimesTen Database and Replication
    Gennady Sigalaev Journeyer
    Hi user608897,
    We would lke to use Golden Gate for replication but looks like it is able to replicate from Oracle DB to TimesTen but not from TimesTen to TimesTen. Is this correct ?
    Yes. You are able to replicate data from Oracle DB to TimesTen only by using Golden Gate. Golden Gate doesn't support TimesTen as a source.

If you are looking for a solution for TimesTen to TimesTen replication, as Chris has already mentioned, Active-Standby pair replication is a good solution. You have only one good option actually.

BTW. If our answers help you could you please specify our answers as "helpful" or "Correct". Thanks.

Best regards,
    Gena
  • 7. Re: TimesTen Database and Replication
    ChrisJenkins Guru
    What exactly are you worried about? TimesTen replication (including Active/Standby pair replication) is the fastest, most robust solution to replicate data from TimesTen to TimesTen and is deployed in thousands of mission critical systems including telecoms systems (HLRs, pre-paid servers etc.) and financial systems (trading platforms etc) around the world.

Do you have some specific concerns? If so please detail them so we can put your mind at rest. GoldenGate is a very good replication solution but it is not any better than TimesTen replication and it does not support TimesTen as a source. Even if it did it would not be something we recommend as it is slower and less well integrated compared to TimesTen replication.

Chris

Edited by: ChrisJenkins on Jan 21, 2013 8:13 PM
  • 8. Re: TimesTen Database and Replication
    611900 Newbie
    Thanks Chris. I am really getting excited to try TimesTen.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points