10 Replies Latest reply: Jan 20, 2013 8:37 AM by Hemant K Chitale RSS

SBT_TAPE

newbieDBA
      hello guys , its my 1st day here
      I would like to ask that - what is sbt_tape is all about , i know few things that it used to take backups in different location , what is media manager? where i can get?
        • 1. Re: SBT_TAPE
          Hemant K Chitale
          Tivoli (TSM), Legato NetBackup, Networker etc are popular media managers. These manage a library of tapes. Backups to the tapes are written over the network (or directly from SAN storage). The media managers maintain a catalog of files that have been copied to tape. Retention and redundancy policies are defined in the media manager.

Oracle RMAN has to communicate with a media managear if it is to backup or restore files to/from tape.

Hemant K Chitale
          • 2. Re: SBT_TAPE
            newbieDBA
            Thanks Hemant,
            but parameter like (randomly selected) -

ALLOCATE CHANNEL c1 DEVICE TYPE 'sbt_tape' PARMS
            'SBT_LIBRARY=/u01/app/oracle/product/10.2.0/db_1/lib/libobk.so
            ENV=(NB_ORA_SERV=netbackup_master_server_name,NB_ORA_CLIENT=oracle_server_name,NB_ORA_POLICY=nb_oracle_policy_name)';

i understand that they allocate a channel and defined to backup with sbt_tape, and also defined path of sbt_library ( i cant find that lib file in my oracle ) , BUT what is that "ENV=..." all about?
            • 3. Re: SBT_TAPE
              Hemant K Chitale
              The environment variables are dependent on the media manager in use. The media manager comes with documentation that specifies how to setup backups for Oracle.

Hemant K Chitale
              • 4. Re: SBT_TAPE
                newbieDBA
                Thanks again,
                But can you give any link? or suggestion where can i get all those variables meanings? , and where to use them , all possible env. variables.
                Sorry I am a Newbie .
                • 5. Re: SBT_TAPE
                  newbieDBA
                  We have SAN already in my place, so it means backups can be directly go to SAN by sbt_tape , right?
                  • 6. Re: SBT_TAPE
                    Hemant K Chitale
                    where can i get all those variables meanings? , and where to use them , all possible env. variables
                    Refer to the Netbackup documentation. Your Unix administrator should have it.

Hemant K Chitale
                    • 7. Re: SBT_TAPE
                      Hemant K Chitale
                      We have SAN already in my place, so it means backups can be directly go to SAN by sbt_tape
                      Not so fast ! I have no idea how your tape library is configured and how it is connected to the SAN. I can't advice you on this. Talk to your Unix / Storage / Backup administrator.

Hemant K Chitale
                      • 8. Re: SBT_TAPE
                        newbieDBA
                        Thanks for all the answers Hemant,
                        Wow! i am really appreciating this place , but i am worried that is it allowed to post easy questions like this??
                        • 9. Re: SBT_TAPE
                          newbieDBA
                          yet to reply
                          • 10. Re: SBT_TAPE
                            Hemant K Chitale
                            You are allowed to post questions that are sensible. Questions that show that you have made some attempt to answer them yourself first --- e.g. by looking up documentation, by running test scenarios, by running a search on these forums or even on google (although there are a lot of pieces of dangerous advice returned by google -- which is a dumb alogrithm).

Hemant K Chitale