3 Replies Latest reply: Jan 17, 2013 3:48 AM by Jiri.Machotka-Oracle RSS

Alert notification for the content in "EDIT" state of the workflow UCM11g

Hi All,

We have a requirement where we need to send alert notification for the content which is in "EDIT" state of the workflow(Contribution where Author has to checkout and check it back again based on the rejection comments.)

In other steps of the workflow we are able to send notifications based on the logic written in the update step.

But in case of Contribution (EDIT state) is there any simple way to send notification .

Thanks,
      Yashwanth.
        • 1. Re: Alert notification for the content in "EDIT" state of the workflow UCM11g
          Jiri.Machotka-Oracle
          The answer to your question depends on whom you want to be notified.

OOTB the author is notified when an item is rejected and reaches the "EDIT" state.

If you want anyone else to be, OOTB there is no option (or to be precise: no simple and clean option) to achieve that and it will require a customization.

The reasons are:
          - the "EDIT" state (the auto-contribution step of a criteria workflow) cannot be configured in the workflow admin applet
          - the "REJECT" action is not captured at the step where rejection occurs

One, very disputable workaround is this: in your workflow have the first artificial step of REVIEW/EDIT REVISION or REVIEW/NEW REVISION type, with no reviewers (or just system admins). When an item enters the workflow, the step is skipped (you can define the 'Edit' event to process immediately to the next step). On the other hand when the item is rejected, you may first send notifications. I am also not 100% sure that you may use jumps (or other idocScript functions) to get back to the "EDIT"-state step.

I think a better way is a customization - you may either enhance the WORKFLOW_REJECT service ( http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E23943_01/doc.1111/e11011/c05_workflow.htm#CSSRG2943 ) or create a filter (based on workflowComputeDocStepInfo event) where you place your logic.
          • 2. Re: Alert notification for the content in "EDIT" state of the workflow UCM11g
            Hi ,

Thanks for your response.

We want to alert the author if he is not taking any action on the document that is being in "EDIT" state.

Thanks,
            Yashwanth
            • 3. Re: Alert notification for the content in "EDIT" state of the workflow UCM11g
              Jiri.Machotka-Oracle
              I see.

Basically, a classical escalation workflow ("update" event) on the initial step.

I'm afraid that will require a customization - my first bet would be a Java filter based on the filter event I mentioned earlier. It is "executed each time the state of an item in workflow is calculated," so it seems to match your use case.