8 Replies Latest reply: Jan 17, 2013 10:31 AM by Hussein Sawwan-Oracle RSS

Time required for Oracle R12 installation

MAveri((k
      Dear All

I have got the installation files from edelivery.

Also the pre-requisite RPMs are installed.

I want to install with vision demo database for learning purpose.

Here is a snapshot of my system.

Guest-Host VM configuration
      Host: Windows 7
      Guest: OEL 5.5

Laptop hardware configuration:
      Processor: Intel I3
      RAM: 4GB
      External hard disk with 300 GB free space.

Will this configuration be enough for intstallation?

Also i would like to know how much time the Vesion Demo version will take for installation and is it required to monitor it continously?
        • 1. Re: Time required for Oracle R12 installation
          Carlo den Otter-Oracle
          Hello MAveri((k,

It should be possible to get a test environment running with this, though it won't run very fast; I did this myself using hardware with similar specs.

About the disk space requirement; see this from the 12.1 installation manual:
          The total space required for a standard system (not including the stage area) is 85 GB
          for a fresh install with a production database, and 233 GB for a fresh install with a
          Vision Demo database.

It should not be needed to monitor the installation, which on the given hardware might take an estimated 5-10 hours (also depending on disk throughput and cpu speed).

Regards, Carlo.
          • 2. Re: Time required for Oracle R12 installation
            Srini Chavali-Oracle
            Pl see my blog (linked in my pofile) for detailed instructions on this install. The time takes will depend on how much hardware reosurces you have alocated to your VM. In my small VM, it took a few hours to install R12.1.1. You will need to monitor for any errors that may occur during the install.

HTH
            Srini
            • 3. Re: Time required for Oracle R12 installation
              Hussein Sawwan-Oracle
              Guest-Host VM configuration
              Host: Windows 7
              Guest: OEL 5.5

Laptop hardware configuration:
              Processor: Intel I3
              RAM: 4GB
              External hard disk with 300 GB free space.

Will this configuration be enough for intstallation?
              You need to increase the memory since R12 installation requires at least 4 GB of memory, so you should have at least 6-8 GB.

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E18727_01/doc.121/e12842/T422699i4773.htm#3708193

The total space required for a standard system (not including the stage area) is 85 GB for a fresh install with a production database, and 233 GB for a fresh install with a Vision Demo database. For a production database install, running Rapid Install from a stage area requires at least 47 GB to accommodate the file system and database files in the stage area.

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E18727_01/doc.121/e12842/T422699i4773.htm#3708195
              Also i would like to know how much time the Vesion Demo version will take for installation and is it required to monitor it continously?
              It should take few hours to complete the installation, provided you have no error during the installation.

Thanks,
              Hussein
              • 4. Re: Time required for Oracle R12 installation
                MAveri((k
                Dear All

Now i have a doubt here.

I want to mainly practice the entire implementation of R12.

Can i achive this with Vision Demo database where setup will already be done for a fictatious compony?

Also would like to know if we have any special licence requirement for installing prod environment.

Lastly i would like you to suggest if installing the prod database and configuring my own fitatious compony will be very difficult?

Thanks and Regards
                Mav..
                • 5. Re: Time required for Oracle R12 installation
                  Hussein Sawwan-Oracle
                  Can i achive this with Vision Demo database where setup will already be done for a fictatious compony?
                  You can. However, I would suggest you install a fresh database and do the setup/implementation from scratch.
                  Also would like to know if we have any special licence requirement for installing prod environment.
                  Yes -- Please contact your Oracle Sales representative (account manager).

You may also refer to http://www.oracle.com/us/corporate/pricing/index.html
                  Lastly i would like you to suggest if installing the prod database and configuring my own fitatious compony will be very difficult?
                  It depends on what modules you have and what setup/configuration you are planning to implement -- http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E18727_01/index.htm

Thanks,
                  Hussein
                  • 6. Re: Time required for Oracle R12 installation
                    MAveri((k
                    Dear Hussein

Thanks for the answer.

That means I cant install a production database on my laptop for learning purpose without a licence?

Thanks
                    Mav..
                    • 7. Re: Time required for Oracle R12 installation
                      Carlo den Otter-Oracle
                      Hello MAveri((k,

Please consult your Oracle Account Manager on license questions.

Regards, Carlo.
                      • 8. Re: Time required for Oracle R12 installation
                        Hussein Sawwan-Oracle
                        MAveri((k wrote:
                        Dear Hussein

Thanks for the answer.

That means I cant install a production database on my laptop for learning purpose without a licence?

Thanks
                        Mav..
                        Please see my first reply in this thread -- Re: EDelivery Doubt

Thanks,
                        Hussein