This discussion is archived
12 Replies Latest reply: Jan 17, 2013 9:57 AM by Elena.mtc RSS

FOP on Listener 1.1.4

Elena.mtc Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi everyone,

after searching on the forum and the internet, I haven't found any answer to my questions, I hope anyone can help me.

I need to print PDF reports from APEX, but I'm not sure what I need to configure. We have APEX 4.1.1 and APEX listener 1.1.4. I have read that FOP is not integrated in this version of Listener, so what are my options? BIPublisher is not an option because of the costs, so my question is, can I install Apache FOP? Can someone give me hints on how to do it, everything I've found was on listener 2...

thx a lot!
  • 1. Re: FOP on Listener 1.1.4
    MatthiasHoys Explorer
    Hi,

I blogged about this some time ago...
    http://matthiashoys.wordpress.com/2012/05/04/configuration-and-deployment-of-pdf-printing-in-apex-4-1-1-using-glassfish-3-1-2-and-apache-fop/

You need to deploy the fop.war file that is included with APEX into a Java application server, for example OC4J or GlassFish.

HTH,
    Matthias Hoys
  • 2. Re: FOP on Listener 1.1.4
    Elena.mtc Newbie
    Hi Matthias,

thanks for your response. I saw your post but I'm not sure what Glassfish version do we have installed, how can I know what version we are using?.

Elena.
  • 3. Re: FOP on Listener 1.1.4
    MatthiasHoys Explorer
    You can use the command "asadmin version" to display the version of GlassFish. I believe my post should work with all 3.x versions of GlassFish...

$ /u01/app/glassfish/bin>./asadmin version
    Version = GlassFish Server Open Source Edition 3.1.2.2 (build 5)
    Command version executed successfully.

HTH,
    Matthias
  • 4. Re: FOP on Listener 1.1.4
    Elena.mtc Newbie
    So... it seems that we don't have Glassfish installed (the client was the one installing APEX so I don't know for sure what they installed). Is it still possible to install FOP?
  • 5. Re: FOP on Listener 1.1.4
    Andreas Weiden Guru
    Hi Elena,

if its possible for you to use something else but FOP, you could also try this http://sourceforge.net/projects/pljrxml2pdf/ , you can also try it at apex.oracle.com here http://apex.oracle.com/pls/apex/f?p=13767

Hope this helps,
    Andreas
  • 6. Re: FOP on Listener 1.1.4
    Elena.mtc Newbie
    Hi Andreas,

thanks, but I'd rather use something from a "reliable" source; don't get me wrong, but I can't install something in the client's servers that I don't know where it comes from...

Thanks anyway :)
    --Elena.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
  • 7. Re: FOP on Listener 1.1.4
    MatthiasHoys Explorer
    Well, you need some kind of Java application server to deploy FOP to. This can be GlassFish, Tomcat, OC4J, ... Can't you upgrade the APEX Listener to version 2? Apparently, PDF printing is included, but I still have to test that out...

Matthias
  • 8. Re: FOP on Listener 1.1.4
    Elena.mtc Newbie
    Thanks Matthias, I will check with the client and see the best option, maybe upgrade to listener 2.0.

Regards,
    Elena
  • 9. Re: FOP on Listener 1.1.4
    adrianp Newbie
    It works fine for me. Upgrade your listener to 2.0 would also be my advice.
  • 10. Re: FOP on Listener 1.1.4
    Elena.mtc Newbie
    Hi adrianp,

could you confirm that FOP is included in listener 2?

thanks for your advice :)
  • 11. Re: FOP on Listener 1.1.4
    adrianp Newbie
    It is. I generated a PDF report from one of my apps before I posted a reply. My set up has APEX Listener 2.0 and APEX 4.2.1.
  • 12. Re: FOP on Listener 1.1.4
    Elena.mtc Newbie
    great, thanks!

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points