This discussion is archived
6 Replies Latest reply: Jan 18, 2013 4:42 AM by EdStevens RSS

Need help in connecting

982690 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I have raised a question in OTN yesterday "https://forums.oracle.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=10798738#10798738" but stil i am not able to get the connection working..

I need some more clarifications in it. can some one suggest

Regards
Vivekk

Edited by: Vivekk.Arora on Jan 17, 2013 8:40 PM
  • 1. Re: Need help in connecting
    sb92075 Guru
    Vivekk.Arora wrote:
    I have raised a question in OTN yesterday "https://forums.oracle.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=10798738#10798738" but stil i am not able to get the connection working..

I need some more clarifications in it. can some one suggest

SQL> alter user hr Vivek@310628 unlock;
    what exactly are you trying to do above?

the at sign ("@") is problematic within SQL since it is used with DB_Links as below

SELECT COUNT(*) FROM EMP@REMOTE_DB;
  • 2. Re: Need help in connecting
    982690 Newbie
    Hi,

i have followed the instructions provide:

in alter user command ,as suggested i am altering the user hr(which is provided by default) and Vivek@310628 is the password i have use during i have made a database using the tool...

I know i am wrong somehere but not getting where i am...

can you please tell me like ,if i have to create a new db using "Database configuration assistant" tool and then connect to that db using"sql developer " what are the steps involved.

Regards
    Vivekk
  • 3. Re: Need help in connecting
    sb92075 Guru
    Vivekk.Arora wrote:
    Hi,

i have followed the instructions provide:

in alter user command ,as suggested i am altering the user hr(which is provided by default) and Vivek@310628 is the password i have use during i have made a database using the tool...

I know i am wrong somehere but not getting where i am...

can you please tell me like ,if i have to create a new db using "Database configuration assistant" tool and then connect to that db using"sql developer " what are the steps involved.

Regards
    Vivekk
    [oracle@localhost ~]$ sqlplus

SQL*Plus: Release 11.2.0.2.0 Production on Thu Jan 17 20:54:51 2013

Copyright (c) 1982, 2010, Oracle.  All rights reserved.

Enter user-name: / as sysdba

Connected to:
    Oracle Database 11g Enterprise Edition Release 11.2.0.2.0 - Production
    With the Partitioning, OLAP, Data Mining and Real Application Testing options

SQL> alter user hr identified by hr account unlock;

User altered.

SQL> connect hr/hr
    Connected.
    SQL> 
    You really should learn how to Read The Fine Manual yourself instead of relying on others to do so for you
  • 4. Re: Need help in connecting
    982690 Newbie
    Thank you for your kind reply......i was just taking help ......

Regards
    Vivekk
  • 5. Re: Need help in connecting
    Hemant K Chitale Oracle ACE
    Vivek@310628 is the password i have use
    You should not be using the "@" character in a password. Oracle doesn't prevent you from assigning such a password but when you attempt to connect with the username-password combination, Oracle interprets the "@" as a connection-string indicator for another database.

Hemant K Chitale
  • 6. Re: Need help in connecting
    EdStevens Guru
    Vivekk.Arora wrote:
    Thank you for your kind reply......i was just taking help ......

Regards
    Vivekk
    And we want to help. but the best help is that which leads you to a greater degree of self reliance. And you could have answered your question yourself (greater self-reliance) had you simply looked up the syntax of the ALTER USER command.

=================================================
    Learning how to look things up in the documentation is time well spent investing in your career. To that end, you should drop everything else you are doing and do the following:

Go to tahiti.oracle.com.

Drill down to your product and version.

<b><i><u>BOOKMARK THAT LOCATION</u></i></b>

Spend a few minutes just getting familiar with what is available here. Take special note of the "books" and "search" tabs. Under the "books" tab (for 10.x) or the "Master Book List" link (for 11.x) you will find the complete documentation library.

Spend a few minutes just getting familiar with what <b><i><u>kind</u></i></b> of documentation is available there by simply browsing the titles under the "Books" tab.

Open the Reference Manual and spend a few minutes looking through the table of contents to get familiar with what <b><i><u>kind</u></i></b> of information is available there.

Do the same with the SQL Reference Manual.

Do the same with the Utilities manual.

You don't have to read the above in depth. They are <b><i><u>reference</b></i></u> manuals. Just get familiar with <b><i><u>what</b></i></u> is there to <b><i><u>be</b></i></u> referenced. Ninety percent of the questions asked on this forum can be answered in less than 5 minutes by simply searching one of the above manuals.

Then set yourself a plan to dig deeper.
    - Read a chapter a day from the Concepts Manual.
    - Take a look in your alert log. One of the first things listed at startup is the initialization parms with non-default values. Read up on each one of them (listed in your alert log) in the Reference Manual.
    - Take a look at your listener.ora, tnsnames.ora, and sqlnet.ora files. Go to the Network Administrators manual and read up on everything you see in those files.
    - When you have finished reading the Concepts Manual, do it again.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he eats for a lifetime.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points