6 Replies Latest reply: Jan 25, 2013 8:48 AM by Srini Chavali-Oracle RSS

Make a full backup of Database

Vandy_Kh
      Dear All Expert,

I have completed installation and configuration then I want to backup full of Database to new OS without re-install new Database, is it possible?

If can, please guide how to do it.

Thanks and regards,
      Vandy

Edited by: Vandy_Kh on Jan 18, 2013 12:10 AM
        • 1. Re: Make a full backup of Database
          Hemant K Chitale
          The sequence of steps depend on
          a. The OS (platform on which installed)
          b. The Oracle RDBMS version
          c. Whether you can get downtime to shutdown the database that has been configured
          d. How familar (experienced) you are with backup and recovery of Oracle databases

In general, you must distinguish between the RDBMS Executables (which are installed) and the Database (which is created , backed up and restored). Therefore, you would be installing the RDBMS on the new server and then doing a backup of the database from the existing server and restoring it to the new server.

I suggest that you re-raise your query in the "General Questions" forum General Database Discussions or the "Recovery Manager" forum Recovery Manager (RMAN)

Hemant K Chitale

Edited by: Hemant K Chitale on Jan 18, 2013 4:20 PM
          added "d."
          • 2. Re: Make a full backup of Database
            Vandy_Kh
            Hi Hemant,

I don't know about Oracle Database I would like you help to provide me an example from your experience.

My Oracle Database (11g Standard Release 2) is installed on an Oracle Linux 5.8 already and I just install a new Oracle Linux 5.8 on another Server and I don't want to install Oracle Database again.

I never do it. although I read document on internet, i still don't understand about.

Please kindly give advice.

Thanks and regards,
            Vandy
            • 3. Re: Make a full backup of Database
              IBarr
              Hi Vandy,

Unfortunately, what you would like to achieve is not possible. There is no way to transfer the RDBMS software from one system to another. The only way to achieve this is to install it on the new system.

Once the software is in place on the new system, transferring the database itself is relatively simple.

Regards,

Iain Barr
              Ategrity Solutions Ltd
              • 4. Re: Make a full backup of Database
                EdStevens
                Vandy_Kh wrote:
                Hi Hemant,

I don't know about Oracle Database I would like you help to provide me an example from your experience.

My Oracle Database (11g Standard Release 2) is installed on an Oracle Linux 5.8 already and I just install a new Oracle Linux 5.8 on another Server and I don't want to install Oracle Database again.

I never do it. although I read document on internet, i still don't understand about.
                Then it's time you started learning. The Installation Guide is at [url http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/install.112/e24321/toc.htm] Here [\url]

>
                Please kindly give advice.
                We'll be happy to help with any issues you have in doing the install, but you are doing yourself and your career no favor by looking for someone to give you some magic way of avoiding an essential DBA task.

>
                Thanks and regards,
                Vandy
                • 5. Re: Make a full backup of Database
                  KrishanG
                  Yes you can use the rdbms clone and db clone using Grid Console or OEM.
                  • 6. Re: Make a full backup of Database
                    Srini Chavali-Oracle
                    You can certainly clone Oracle binaries - pl see the documentation - http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/em.112/e12255/oui6_cloning.htm

HTH
                    Srini