This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Jan 18, 2013 2:49 AM by user13069903 RSS

ReInstall GRID but keep data

user13069903 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi guys!!!
Here is the situation... (all this is on test environment not on production:)
I ahve a GRID (clusterware,ASM) and DB instaled on a node (I have only one node - in the future I intend to add one more node but this is another history). The voting disk, datafiles, registry are stored on storage. Now our HDD (internal server HDD where all bin are stored) crashed. I replaced the HDD and now I am trying to reintall everyting.
The problem is that when the OUI asks to choose the diskgroup I can-not select any disk - I have to use /etc/init.d/oracleasm to delete and recreate disks this will destroy all DB datafiles but I want to keep all DB datafiles.
Is there a solution? (I am sure it should be but I do not know where to dig, any links, sugestions are welcome)

Thanks!
  • 1. Re: ReInstall GRID but keep data
    Sebastian Solbach (DBA Community) Guru
    Hi,

unlucky you have only 1 node. Otherwise it would have only been a addnode.sh procedure to get the node back.
    What version is this? Do you have a DB backup?

Probably the easiest and best thing to do would be to add an additional HD and use that as a new diskgroup for the new GI.
    After this is running the cluster should be able to find/see the old HDs/diskgroup and be able to mount it to access all the database files etc.
    You will still have the old Votes and OCRs laying around, but you can simply delete the old OCRs with asmcmd.

Second I would open an SR in MOS to get help from Oracle.

Last, there is one idea you could try:
    => Disable all harddrives with the current ASM diskgroup and put in another temporary hd drive - on which you will install and configure the new GI installation. (make sure to use exactly the same setup, e.g. diskgroup name etc.)
    Then after finishing it, power down the server, remove the temporary HD and enable all you old harddrives. Now when you startup the server it will pick up the "old" diskgroup and you should be ready to go.

However I doubt that this is the supported way.

Regards
    Sebastian
  • 2. Re: ReInstall GRID but keep data
    user13069903 Newbie
    Probably the easiest and best thing to do would be to add an additional HD and use that as a new diskgroup for the new GI.
    After this is running the cluster should be able to find/see the old HDs/diskgroup and be able to mount it to access all the database files etc.
    You will still have the old Votes and OCRs laying around, but you can simply delete the old OCRs with asmcmd.
    Thanks - good idea!!!
  • 3. Re: ReInstall GRID but keep data
    user13069903 Newbie
    DB and GRID 11.2.0.3 There is a backup but it is stored on the same diskgroup... :(

Edited by: user13069903 on Jan 18, 2013 2:48 AM

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points