10 Replies Latest reply: Aug 30, 2013 3:35 AM by DejanH RSS

Tabular form - Different LOV for different rows

VANJ
      In a tabular form column, is it possible to have a select list whose values depend on some other column in the row? There doesn't appear to be a way to use #COL# notation to refer to current row values in the LOV query definition.

Ideas? Thanks
        • 1. Re: Tabular form - Different LOV for different rows
          Sc0tt
          Try the apex_util.savekey_num/vc2 and keyval_num/vc2 API's. Basically you call the savekey_num in your query and for each row it sets a package variable which can be retrieved by the keyval_num/vc2 call in your LOV query.
          • 2. Re: Tabular form - Different LOV for different rows
            Hi,

I think, you are aware of Manual Tabular Form.

You may want to check this:-
            http://apex.oracle.com/pls/otn/f?p=31517:176:2252546497434138:::::
            • 3. Re: Tabular form - Different LOV for different rows
              Sc0tt
              Depends on what he is looking for - that link shows cascading selects, and while a valid solution is not the type of problem I ran into.

I had a tabular form where I needed to reference one of the column values as a bind variable in the LOV - it was about giving completely different choices in the LOV based on the first column (which is just a display text). You unfortunately cant say something like this in the LOV
              where some_column = #FIRSTCOL#
              Now you could always just concatenate in the value, but that will blow away the shared pool and that's never good. The savekey procedure allows a workaround to that. If you don't have cascading selects or something to "change" then your solution won't necessarily work.
              • 4. Re: Tabular form - Different LOV for different rows
                VANJ
                Scott - My situation is exactly the same as yours i.e. I just need a different select list on each row, not cascading lists. I will try out your suggestion. Thanks
                • 5. Re: Tabular form - Different LOV for different rows
                  Sc0tt
                  It's pretty easy but if you need a hand let me know and I can post some sample code for you.
                  • 6. Re: Tabular form - Different LOV for different rows
                    Hi Scott,

Thanks ..I formed some idea about APEX_UTIL.KEYVAL_NUM. I have a problem where I am not able to decide if I can make use of this package and solve..

Can you please have a look at this thread.. Re: Tabular form - Different LOV for different rows

I have a SQL which populates a tabular form on the page.Coulmn1 some text, Column 2 is to show a drop down as YES and NO. i am trying to freeze the option for rows 2,3,4 as NO, if the Option choosen in first is NO.

So, what I am trying to ask is..can I save my first selection in a global variable and use it in where clause of [select list query] the second drop down..Not sure how I can do this..Appreciate if you can show me a direction.

Thanks,
                    Chaitu.
                    • 7. Re: Tabular form - Different LOV for different rows
                      Binepal
                      Sc0tt
                      can you please give query example for APEX_UTIL.SAVEKEY_NUM and APEX_UTIL.KEYVAL_NUM how to use it
                      • 8. Re: Tabular form - Different LOV for different rows
                        Binepal
                        never mind i managed it, this is what i did hope it helps some one

select
                        "ID",
                        "ID" ID_DISPLAY,
                        "CITY_ID",
                        (SELECT CITY_NAME FROM CITIES WHERE ID = CITY_ID) CITY_NAME,
                        APEX_UTIL.SAVEKEY_NUM(CITY_ID) cid,
                        "NETWORK_ID"
                        from "#OWNER#"."M_LOCATIONS"

then created a lov NETWORK

select NETWORK_TYPE display_value, ID return_value
                        from NETWORKS
                        where city_id = APEX_UTIL.KEYVAL_NUM
                        order by 1

Then attached this lov to "NETWORK_ID"
                        • 9. Re: Tabular form - Different LOV for different rows
                          Sorry I realize this is an old thread so maybe Apex 4.1 does things different but I was trying Binepal suggestion and so think this could be useful to others.

I seem to only be able to get this to work if I change my tabular form to "Use Generic Column Names (parse query at runtime only) " and then I switch back to "to Use Query-Specific Column Names and Validate Query" . However then I lose the [row selector] column which I think is required because any updates i now try to make give me "Column must have a value" on any changes I submit.

Any ideas on what I may be doing wrong?

Thanks!

Saul
                          • 10. Re: Tabular form - Different LOV for different rows
                            DejanH

Hello.

I have exactly the same problem.

It doesn't work until i change my tabular form to "Use Generic Column Names (parse query at runtime only) ".

When i change back to "Use Query-Specific Column Names and Validate Query", it works. But when i after that change something in report attributes, it stops working.

Did you solve the problem?

Thanks.

Regards,

Dejan