This discussion is archived
11 Replies Latest reply: Jan 19, 2013 2:42 PM by EdStevens RSS

Student in Need of Help/Advice

985865 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
So I am currently a student at Purdue University and a newbie on this forum so I didn't know exactly where to post this because it touches a lot of topics.

Situation: I have been tasked by my Dad to create a database and a C# application that will help him run his online web store.

Problem: I recently installed Oracle 11g XE on my 64 bit Linux Fedora OS. I don't know the exact steps involved in order to make this database be accessible remotely from the application. This is needed because the Linux computer is with me while the application will be at my Dad's house. I know some things that keep popping up in all my searches are related to the listener.ora and tns files. I don't know if I need to change any files in linux as well (hosts file)? Is there some settings in Linux I'm missing server wise? This really isn't a question about the C# part because I just want to get a connection remotely first. Through SQL Developer at least, before trying to figure out the connection string in C#. Any help or direction to some online documentation, anything, is much appreciated. Thanks
  • 1. Re: Student in Need of Help/Advice
    Mahmoud_Rabie Journeyer
    Dear 982862,

Given:
    Oracle 11g XE on my 64 bit Linux Fedora OS.
    Required
    I don't know the exact steps involved in order to make this database be accessible remotely from the application.
    This really isn't a question about the C# part because I just want to get a connection remotely first. Through SQL Developer at least,
    Answer
    1) To connect to Oracle Database from SQL Developer
    http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/appdev.112/e10766/tdddg_connecting.htm

2) To make the database accessible remotely
    how to remotely access to oracle database XE ?

If this answers your question, please, mark it as Correct, otherwise as helpful.

Best Regards
    Mahmoud
  • 2. Re: Student in Need of Help/Advice
    EdStevens Guru
    crench92 wrote:
    So I am currently a student at Purdue University and a newbie on this forum so I didn't know exactly where to post this because it touches a lot of topics.

Situation: I have been tasked by my Dad to create a database and a C# application that will help him run his online web store.

Problem: I recently installed Oracle 11g XE on my 64 bit Linux Fedora OS. I don't know the exact steps involved in order to make this database be accessible remotely from the application. This is needed because the Linux computer is with me while the application will be at my Dad's house. I know some things that keep popping up in all my searches are related to the listener.ora and tns files. I don't know if I need to change any files in linux as well (hosts file)? Is there some settings in Linux I'm missing server wise? This really isn't a question about the C# part because I just want to get a connection remotely first. Through SQL Developer at least, before trying to figure out the connection string in C#. Any help or direction to some online documentation, anything, is much appreciated. Thanks
    For an understanding of oracle networking, connections, listeners, etc. ...

[url http://edstevensdba.wordpress.com/2011/02/09/sqlnet_overview/] Help! I can’t connect to my database
    [url http://edstevensdba.wordpress.com/2011/02/16/sqlnet_client_cfg/] Help! I can’t connect to my database (part duex)

And if you are serious about running an on-line store, you need to be VERY serious about security, protection of credit card information, continuity of business, high-availability, etc. etc. You need to be familiar with privacy laws, PCI security standards, have a robust AND SECURE backup and recovery architecture, etc, etc. I hope I'm wrong, but my guess is you and your father seriously underestimate the complexity and gravity of operating an on-line business. It's not something a college undergraduate can knock off as a part-time project. That's why there is an entire industry of providing these services as a packaged solution to 'mom-and-pop' business that need an on-line store.
  • 3. Re: Student in Need of Help/Advice
    985865 Newbie
    All the database is going to do is keep track of inventory and what sells and for what price. Right now, all he has is an excel sheet. He uses eBay, Amazon, PayPal so I don't need to keep track of anything that critical like credit card info or anything like that.
  • 4. Re: Student in Need of Help/Advice
    Aman.... Oracle ACE
    crench92 wrote:
    All the database is going to do is keep track of inventory and what sells and for what price. Right now, all he has is an excel sheet. He uses eBay, Amazon, PayPal so I don't need to keep track of anything that critical like credit card info or anything like that.
    I would suggest that you use oracle's Application Express to make this application rather than C#. It's much easier , faster and for learning purpose, can be accessed free from http://apex.oracle.com .

Just my 2 cents.

Aman....
  • 5. Re: Student in Need of Help/Advice
    sb92075 Guru
    Oracle & common sense says that installing Oracle DB on system that uses DHCP to obtain IP#,
    will forever be challenged to obtaining connectivity to the DB from any remote client
    & totally ignores the network security implications.

If your Dad can connect to the DB then I & everyone on the 'Net can connect to it.
  • 6. Re: Student in Need of Help/Advice
    985865 Newbie
    sb92075 wrote:
    Oracle & common sense says that installing Oracle DB on system that uses DHCP to obtain IP#,
    will forever be challenged to obtaining connectivity to the DB from any remote client
    & totally ignores the network security implications.

If your Dad can connect to the DB then I & everyone on the 'Net can connect to it.
    What security measures should I take? Or should I just move it to the network at home and not worry about it?
  • 7. Re: Student in Need of Help/Advice
    EdStevens Guru
    crench92 wrote:
    Ok. But you still have a huge security challenge with accessing your database across the internet. Even without 'sensitive' data. Why not just install XE on his machine, so everything is self-contained? Actually, it now sounds like even XE is overkill and MS Access would be the right choice. You may be interested in taking on a "project" to exercise your skills in the mentioned technology (Oracle, C#) but you are still talking about someone's business and should approach it from a business standpoint.

Even with a decision to use Oracle as the DB and c# as the programming language, I'd not connect the db and application across the internet.
  • 8. Re: Student in Need of Help/Advice
    985865 Newbie
    EdStevens wrote:
    crench92 wrote:
    Ok. But you still have a huge security challenge with accessing your database across the internet. Even without 'sensitive' data. Why not just install XE on his machine, so everything is self-contained? Actually, it now sounds like even XE is overkill and MS Access would be the right choice. You may be interested in taking on a "project" to exercise your skills in the mentioned technology (Oracle, C#) but you are still talking about someone's business and should approach it from a business standpoint.

Even with a decision to use Oracle as the DB and c# as the programming language, I'd not connect the db and application across the internet.
    I thought about using Access since his requirements seem like XE is overkill but I wanted to get experience with Oracle and Linux like you said. He has a a three year old desktop computer so it is slow as it is. Running XE on it would not help in that regard. I will just move the Linux computer to my home network and remote desktop into it when I need to. Would that be more secure? I think I'll avoid using the Internet until I have a MUCH* deeper understanding of Linux and Oracle. Thank you for all the help.
  • 9. Re: Student in Need of Help/Advice
    EdStevens Guru
    crench92 wrote:
    EdStevens wrote:
    crench92 wrote:

I thought about using Access since his requirements seem like XE is overkill but I wanted to get experience with Oracle and Linux like you said. He has a a three year old desktop computer so it is slow as it is. Running XE on it would not help in that regard. I will just move the Linux computer to my home network and remote desktop into it when I need to. Would that be more secure? I think I'll avoid using the Internet until I have a MUCH* deeper understanding of Linux and Oracle. Thank you for all the help.
    You'll want the app and database server to be on the same subnet - behind the same firewall. As for doing a 'remote desktop' connection ... anything YOU can do across the internet, I can do across the internet ... your machines are either exposed to the internet or they aren't. When I connect from home to my machines at work, I'm using a VPN (Virtual Private Network) to create a "tunnel" through the internet.
  • 10. Re: Student in Need of Help/Advice
    985865 Newbie
    So would you suggest I setup a VPN then? I need some way to have access to the server because if something goes wrong, he'll have no idea what to do. Something like CISCO VPN with IPsec?

Edited by: crench92 on Jan 19, 2013 11:09 AM
  • 11. Re: Student in Need of Help/Advice
    EdStevens Guru
    crench92 wrote:
    So would you suggest I setup a VPN then? I need some way to have access to the server because if something goes wrong, he'll have no idea what to do. Something like CISCO VPN with IPsec?

Edited by: crench92 on Jan 19, 2013 11:09 AM
    If you know how to set up up, absolutely! Would YOU want a database or to be exposed to the internet? Forget the database, would you want any server exposed to the internet?

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points