This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Jan 19, 2013 7:42 AM by EdStevens RSS

problem installing multiple homes

EdStevens Guru
Currently Being Moderated
Oracle SE-One 11.2.0.1
Oracle Linux 5.6 64-bit.
Oracle Grid Infrastructure, stand-alone - no RAC

First the background and intent, then the actual problem.

Background

I have built a vm under Vbox and am trying to configure it as closely as possible to mimic our primary development server. The dev server has had multiple installations of both db homes and asm homes. Currently only one of each is actually in use. The current inventory shows
<HOME_LIST>
<HOME NAME="OraDb11g_home1" LOC="/u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/dwdev" TYPE="O" IDX="1"/>
11.2.0.1.0; patch 9655066 applied; running 3 databases

<HOME NAME="Ora11g_gridinfrahome1" LOC="/u01/app/11.2.0/grid" TYPE="O" IDX="2"/>
11.2.0.1.0; no patches; no instances

<HOME NAME="Ora11g_gridinfrahome2" LOC="/u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/grid" TYPE="O" IDX="3"/>
11.2.0.1.0; patch 9655066 applied; no instances

<HOME NAME="OraDb11g_home2" LOC="/u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0.2/dw" TYPE="O" IDX="6"/>
11.2.0.2.0; no patches; no instances

<HOME NAME="OraDb11g_home3" LOC="/u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/dw" TYPE="O" IDX="7"/>
11.2.0.2.0; no patches; no instances

<HOME NAME="Ora11g_gridinfrahome3" LOC="/u01/app/oracle/11.2.0/grid" TYPE="O" IDX="8" CRS="true"/>
11.2.0.2.0; no patches; active ASM instance

<HOME NAME="OraDb10g_home1" LOC="/u01/app/oracle/oracle/product/10.2.0/fsupg" TYPE="O" IDX="4" REMOVED="T"/>
<HOME NAME="OraDb10g_home2" LOC="/u01/app/oracle/product/10.2.0/fsupg" TYPE="O" IDX="5" REMOVED="T"/>
</HOME_LIST>
So I figured the easiest way to get to the same config would be to install the various products in the same sequence as they are indexed in the inventory. After each successful installation, take a snapshot of the vm so I have a point to return to if the next step has problems. Glad I did.
First, install db 11.2.0.1, no database. completed as expected.
next, install GI 11.2.0.1, standalone. If I tried to just install software, it wanted a cluster environment, so I chose (as I had for a lot of earlier, simpler vm's) to install and configure a standalone, which required that I supply disks for a DG. Ok, done, no issue. Snapshot taken as this point.

next up is to install 11.2.0.1, standalone but into a different home - this time under ORACLE_BASE. After a couple of false starts I figured out I had to first force drop the disk group, then force deconfig the installation (perl rootcrs.pl -deconfig -force).

Now the fun begins. Execute runInstaller, select 'install and config grid infrastructure for a stand-alone server' and everything seems fine until completion of root.sh.

It actually appears to finishes with
Successfully configured Oracle Grid Infrastructure for a Standalone Server
Updating inventory properties for clusterware
Starting Oracle Universal Installer...

Checking swap space: must be greater than 500 MB.   Actual 5951 MB    Passed
The inventory pointer is located at /etc/oraInst.loc
The inventory is located at /u01/app/oraInventory
'UpdateNodeList' was successful.
But then after clearing that step, I get a pop-up stating "[INS-20802] Automatic Storage Management Configuration Assistant failed", and the final lines of the referenced installation log read
INFO: Command /u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/grid/bin/asmca -silent -oui_internal -configureASM -diskString /dev/asm* -diskGroupName DATA -diskList /dev/asm-disk1,/dev/asm-disk2 -redundancy NORMAL
INFO: ... GenericInternalPlugIn.handleProcess() entered.
INFO: ... GenericInternalPlugIn: getting configAssistantParmas.
INFO: ... GenericInternalPlugIn: checking secretArguments.
INFO: ... GenericInternalPlugIn: starting read loop.
INFO: Read: SYS_PASSWORD_PROMPT
INFO: Processing: SYS_PASSWORD_PROMPT for argument tag -sysAsmPassword
INFO: Read: ASMSNMP_PASSWORD_PROMPT
INFO: Processing: ASMSNMP_PASSWORD_PROMPT for argument tag -asmMonitorPassword
INFO: End of argument passing to stdin
INFO: Read:
INFO: Read: An ASM Instance with SID +ASM is already detected. ASM failed to start. Check /u01/app/oracle/cfgtoollogs/asmca/asmca-13011512PM0937.log for details.
INFO: Read:
INFO: Completed Plugin named: Automatic Storage Management Configuration Assistant
and checking the end of /u01/app/oracle/cfgtoollogs/asmca/asmca-13011512PM0937.log
[main] [ 2013-01-15 12:09:46.233 CST ] [SQLEngine.initialize:317]  Execing SQLPLUS/SVRMGR process...
[main] [ 2013-01-15 12:09:46.245 CST ] [SQLEngine.initialize:354]  m_bReaderStarted: false
[main] [ 2013-01-15 12:09:46.246 CST ] [SQLEngine.initialize:358]  Starting Reader Thread...
[main] [ 2013-01-15 12:09:46.250 CST ] [SQLEngine.initialize:407]  Waiting for m_bReaderStarted to be true
[main] [ 2013-01-15 12:09:46.276 CST ] [SQLEngine.done:2148]  Done called
[main] [ 2013-01-15 12:09:46.276 CST ] [UsmcaLogger.logException:171]  SEVERE:method oracle.sysman.assistants.usmca.backend.USMInstance:checkAndStartupInstance
[main] [ 2013-01-15 12:09:46.276 CST ] [UsmcaLogger.logException:172]  ORA-01034: ORACLE not available

[main] [ 2013-01-15 12:09:46.276 CST ] [UsmcaLogger.logException:173]  oracle.sysman.assistants.util.sqlEngine.SQLFatalErrorException: ORA-01034: ORACLE not available

oracle.sysman.assistants.util.sqlEngine.SQLEngine.executeImpl(SQLEngine.java:1650)
oracle.sysman.assistants.util.sqlEngine.SQLEngine.executeQuery(SQLEngine.java:823)
oracle.sysman.assistants.usmca.backend.USMInstance.checkAndStartupInstance(USMInstance.java:602)
oracle.sysman.assistants.usmca.backend.USMInstance.configurePresentASM(USMInstance.java:1068)
oracle.sysman.assistants.usmca.backend.USMInstance.configureASM(USMInstance.java:865)
oracle.sysman.assistants.usmca.service.UsmcaService.configureASM(UsmcaService.java:189)
oracle.sysman.assistants.usmca.model.UsmcaModel.performConfigureASM(UsmcaModel.java:693)
oracle.sysman.assistants.usmca.model.UsmcaModel.performOperation(UsmcaModel.java:497)
oracle.sysman.assistants.usmca.Usmca.execute(Usmca.java:156)
oracle.sysman.assistants.usmca.Usmca.main(Usmca.java:333)
[main] [ 2013-01-15 12:09:46.277 CST ] [UsmcaLogger.logExit:122]  Exiting oracle.sysman.assistants.usmca.backend.USMInstance Method : checkAndStartupInstance
[main] [ 2013-01-15 12:09:46.277 CST ] [UsmcaLogger.logException:171]  SEVERE:method oracle.sysman.assistants.usmca.backend.USMInstance:configureASM
[main] [ 2013-01-15 12:09:46.277 CST ] [UsmcaLogger.logException:172]  An ASM Instance with SID +ASM is already detected. ASM failed to start. Check /u01/app/oracle/cfgtoollogs/asmca/asmca-13011512PM0937.log for details.
[main] [ 2013-01-15 12:09:46.278 CST ] [UsmcaLogger.logException:173]  java.lang.Exception: An ASM Instance with SID +ASM is already detected. ASM failed to start. Check /u01/app/oracle/cfgtoollogs/asmca/asmca-13011512PM0937.log for details.
oracle.sysman.assistants.usmca.backend.USMInstance.configurePresentASM(USMInstance.java:1078)
oracle.sysman.assistants.usmca.backend.USMInstance.configureASM(USMInstance.java:865)
oracle.sysman.assistants.usmca.service.UsmcaService.configureASM(UsmcaService.java:189)
oracle.sysman.assistants.usmca.model.UsmcaModel.performConfigureASM(UsmcaModel.java:693)
oracle.sysman.assistants.usmca.model.UsmcaModel.performOperation(UsmcaModel.java:497)
oracle.sysman.assistants.usmca.Usmca.execute(Usmca.java:156)
oracle.sysman.assistants.usmca.Usmca.main(Usmca.java:333)
[main] [ 2013-01-15 12:09:46.278 CST ] [UsmcaLogger.logExit:122]  Exiting oracle.sysman.assistants.usmca.model.UsmcaModel Method : performCreateASMInstance
[main] [ 2013-01-15 12:09:46.278 CST ] [UsmcaLogger.logExit:122]  Exiting oracle.sysman.assistants.usmca.model.UsmcaModel Method : performOperation
[root@vbdwsbd01 logs]#
I searched both google and MOS on the key error messages, but came up with nothing that appeared helpful in this case.

Ideas?
  • 1. Re: problem installing multiple homes
    SalmanQureshi Expert
    Hi,
    Did you check /var/opt/oracle/oratab? Probably first GI installation make entry of +ASM there and second installation is failing because instance is already configured by the first installation?
    Can you try doing GI (software only) installations first for Ora11g_gridinfrahome1 and Ora11g_gridinfrahome2 and then for and last GI installation for Ora11g_gridinfrahome3, you can choose "install and configure" option installation so that no confliction occurs.

Salman
  • 2. Re: problem installing multiple homes
    EdStevens Guru
    Salman Qureshi wrote:
    Hi,
    Did you check /var/opt/oracle/oratab? Probably first GI installation make entry of +ASM there and second installation is failing because instance is already configured by the first installation?
    Can you try doing GI (software only) installations first for Ora11g_gridinfrahome1 and Ora11g_gridinfrahome2 and then for and last GI installation for Ora11g_gridinfrahome3, you can choose "install and configure" option installation so that no confliction occurs.

Salman
    Sorry for the delayed response. Got pulled into some production issues and just now able to complete some controlled tests.

First, as an aside, I'm in Linux, not Solaris, so my oratab is at /etc, not /var/opt/oracle. ;-)

For my first controlled trial I tried to install GI as 'software only'. It failed the prereq because because the ntpd service was not running. I had to install ntpd then do some more reading to get the daemon started, but in the end got the same result. It appeared that even if I solved that immediate issue that the 'software only' install was going to insist I be setup for clustering. So I took a different tack.

For my second controlled trial I installed the first GI home by 'install and configure for stand-alone host'. This time, before launching the installer I removed the existing GI entry from /etc/oratab. The installation went according to plan and my vm looks exactly like I wanted at this stage.

So it looks like the key was the oratab entry.
  • 3. Re: problem installing multiple homes
    SalmanQureshi Expert
    Hi,
    First, as an aside, I'm in Linux, not Solaris, so my oratab is at /etc, not /var/opt/oracle
    I have Solaris (only) with me which might have made be obsessed with it ;)
    Any way, its good you have got it work fine.

Salman
  • 4. Re: problem installing multiple homes
    EdStevens Guru
    Salman Qureshi wrote:
    Hi,
    First, as an aside, I'm in Linux, not Solaris, so my oratab is at /etc, not /var/opt/oracle
    I have Solaris (only) with me which might have made be obsessed with it ;)
    Any way, its good you have got it work fine.

Salman
    Yep. Solaris was my first *nix (though far from my first OS at all).  So when I started picking up other variants, it took a bit to understand that I needed 'expand' my thinking  - /var/opt  vs. /etc,  .profile vs. .bash_profile,  and so on and so forth.

I had never dealt with GI before this job. When I started building my personal sandbox systems I just naturally selected 'install and configure for standalone' when installing. (We use ASM, but not RAC). So it was also a bit of a surprise that the 'software only' option seems to require some infrastructure that is only important in a cluster environment. Seems that as a requirement, that would be deferred until such time as you actually configure for RAC.

But at least I am on my way to the next step, and appreciate the leads you gave me.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points