This discussion is archived
7 Replies Latest reply: Jan 19, 2013 10:08 AM by sb92075 RSS

Updating fails because of a foreign key constraint

985912 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello.

I have several tables in my data base however 3 are important. One of them is Employee(Employee_ID, Name, Last_Name and other irrelevant columns), Dentist(Employee_ID, Qualifications) and Assistant(Employee_ID, Qualifications).
I'm making an application in Oracle Application Express and upon attempting to update a row in the Employee table I get a ORA-20505: Error in DML: p_rowid=96, p_alt_rowid=Employee_ID, p_rowid2=, p_alt_rowid2=. ORA-02292: integrity constraint (DB.Dentist_CON) violated - child record found

Now, to begin with I had the same problems with deleting rows but I solved that by adding an on cascade delete to my foreign keys.
I have foreign key constraints both in my Dentist and Assistant tables in the Employee_ID columns and these are referencing Employee_ID in the Employee table.

When I'm updating anything within my form in Application Express, I haven't allowed the users to do anything to the primary key (Employee_ID) from my Employee table. So any changes that might happen are to columns irrelevant to the primary key. For instance, if I change the Name column of a particular row I can't update because I get the above-mentioned error.

I don't understand why this is happening.
If I could have any insight into why this is happening or help of any form I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.
  • 1. Re: Updating fails because of a foreign key constraint
    sb92075 Guru
    982909 wrote:
    Hello.

I have several tables in my data base however 3 are important. One of them is Employee(Employee_ID, Name, Last_Name and other irrelevant columns), Dentist(Employee_ID, Qualifications) and Assistant(Employee_ID, Qualifications).
    I'm making an application in Oracle Application Express and upon attempting to update a row in the Employee table I get a ORA-20505: Error in DML: p_rowid=96, p_alt_rowid=Employee_ID, p_rowid2=, p_alt_rowid2=. ORA-02292: integrity constraint (DB.Dentist_CON) violated - child record found

Now, to begin with I had the same problems with deleting rows but I solved that by adding an on cascade delete to my foreign keys.
    I have foreign key constraints both in my Dentist and Assistant tables in the Employee_ID columns and these are referencing Employee_ID in the Employee table.

When I'm updating anything within my form in Application Express, I haven't allowed the users to do anything to the primary key (Employee_ID) from my Employee table. So any changes that might happen are to columns irrelevant to the primary key. For instance, if I change the Name column of a particular row I can't update because I get the above-mentioned error.

I don't understand why this is happening.
    If I could have any insight into why this is happening or help of any form I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.
    02292, 00000,"integrity constraint (%s.%s) violated - child record found"
    // *Cause: attempted to delete a parent key value that had a foreign
    //      key dependency.
    // *Action: delete dependencies first then parent or disable constraint.
    How do I ask a question on the forums?
    SQL and PL/SQL FAQ

we speak SQL.
    do you speak SQL.

in the future SHOW us what you do using COPY & PASTE,
    so we can see exactly what you do & how Oracle responds
  • 2. Re: Updating fails because of a foreign key constraint
    985912 Newbie
    Certainly.

I created Employee using the following. There is one trigger as well which I'm using to populate the Employee_ID from the actual forms in Application Express.

CREATE TABLE "Employee"
    (     "Employee_ID" NUMBER,
         "Name" VARCHAR2(12) CONSTRAINT "IME_VRABOTEN_NN" NOT NULL ENABLE,
         "Surname" VARCHAR2(10) CONSTRAINT "PREZIME_VRABOTEN_NN" NOT NULL ENABLE,
         "Address" VARCHAR2(50) CONSTRAINT "ADRESA_VRABOTEN_NN" NOT NULL ENABLE,
         "Telephone" VARCHAR2(10),
         "Personal_ID_Number" VARCHAR2(13),
         "Date_of_Employment" VARCHAR2(10) CONSTRAINT "DATA_NN" NOT NULL ENABLE,
         "Salary" NUMBER(6,0),
         CONSTRAINT "Employee_ID_con" PRIMARY KEY ("Employee_ID") ENABLE,
         CONSTRAINT "Employee_CON" UNIQUE ("Personal_ID_Number", "Telephone") ENABLE
    )
    /

CREATE OR REPLACE TRIGGER "Employee_T1"
    BEFORE
    insert or update on "Employee"
    for each row
    begin
    select employee_sequence.nextval into :new.employee_id from dual;
    end;
    /
    ALTER TRIGGER "Employee_T1" ENABLE
    /

For the table Dentist.

CREATE TABLE "Dentist"
         "Qualifications" VARCHAR2(50),
         CONSTRAINT "RB_VRAB_STOMATOLOG_PK" PRIMARY KEY ("Employee_ID") ENABLE
    )
    /
    ALTER TABLE "Employee_ID" ADD CONSTRAINT "Dentist_CON" FOREIGN KEY ("Employee_ID")
         REFERENCES "Employee" ("Employee_ID") ON DELETE CASCADE ENABLE
    /

CREATE OR REPLACE TRIGGER "Dentist_T1"
    BEFORE
    insert or update or delete on "Dentist"
    for each row
    begin
    select employee_sequence.currval into :new.employee_id from dual; //The trigger is disabled.
    end;
    /
    ALTER TRIGGER "Dentist_T1" DISABLE
    /

And for Assistant.

CREATE TABLE "ASSISTANT"
         "Qualifications" VARCHAR2(50),
         CONSTRAINT "Employee_ID_Assistant" PRIMARY KEY ("Employee_ID") ENABLE
    )
    /
    ALTER TABLE "ASSISTANT" ADD CONSTRAINT "ASSISTANT_CON" FOREIGN KEY ("Employee_ID")
         REFERENCES "Employee" ("Employee_ID") ON DELETE CASCADE DISABLE
    /

CREATE OR REPLACE TRIGGER "ASSISTANT_T1"
    BEFORE
    insert or update or delete on "ASSISTANT"
    for each row
    begin
    select employee_sequence.currval into :new.employee_id from dual; //The trigger is again disabled.
    end;
    /
    ALTER TRIGGER "ASSISTANT_T1" ENABLE
    /

I can't show you what I'm trying to do using copy and paste because I'm doing this in Application Express like I explained above. Here are the tables, triggers and foreign key constraints. The problem is, as I said, when I try to update a value (using an report and form, simply by clicking on the edit button, changing the value in the Name text field and clicking Apply Changes) I get the error I pasted earlier.

I hope this helps.
  • 3. Re: Updating fails because of a foreign key constraint
    sb92075 Guru
    What the error is trying to explain is that you are attempting to change a column value;
    but by doing so would orphan some child row that has a FK relationship to that parent value.
  • 4. Re: Updating fails because of a foreign key constraint
    985912 Newbie
    But it's not true. If I'm trying to change Name from Employee and update that row in Employee WITHOUT changing the value of Employee_ID how can I possibly change the child row? This is what's confusing me and I don't have any idea about how to solve it.
  • 5. Re: Updating fails because of a foreign key constraint
    sb92075 Guru
    982909 wrote:
    But it's not true. If I'm trying to change Name from Employee and update that row in Employee WITHOUT changing the value of Employee_ID how can I possibly change the child row? This is what's confusing me and I don't have any idea about how to solve it.
    the code below shows above is NOT true

CREATE OR REPLACE TRIGGER "Employee_T1"
    BEFORE
    insert or update on "Employee"
    for each row
    begin
    select employee_sequence.nextval into :new.employee_id from dual;
    end;
    /

TRIGGER above changes EMPLOYEE_ID for any UPDATE statement!
  • 6. Re: Updating fails because of a foreign key constraint
    985912 Newbie
    Thank you. It works now. :D
  • 7. Re: Updating fails because of a foreign key constraint
    sb92075 Guru
    982909 wrote:
    Thank you. It works now. :D
    you need to learn to BELIEVE what the error message tells you.
    Oracle is too dumb to lie to you about what is wrong!

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points