6 Replies Latest reply: Jan 21, 2013 12:51 AM by 939407 RSS

Restore using incremental backup with noarchivelog mode

Hello experts,

We are running SAP on Oracle databse(IN NOARCHIVELOG MODE) for which we are having full offline backup on every sunday and post which incremental backups on rest of the days. We have scenario to do restore db to the state till last friday's incremental backup.

Please let us know the procedure for restoring till that point. If possible using brtools utility(which is SAP specific).

Thank You
      Regards,
      Venkateshwar
        • 1. Re: Restore using incremental backup with noarchivelog mode
          damorgan
          As long as you are in NOARCHIVE mode with SAP, or any other mission critical application, I have only one piece of advice to share with you.

Start archive logging? Without doing so your system is at extreme risk and I won't have my fingerprints on it. I doubt anyone else would want to either.
          • 2. Re: Restore using incremental backup with noarchivelog mode
            TSharma-Oracle
            Exact document you are looking for :)

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/backup.112/e10642/rcmadvre.htm#CACGEAEE

But I do agree with damorgan to change your database to archivelog mode.

Edited by: TSharma on Jan 19, 2013 9:26 PM
            • 3. Re: Restore using incremental backup with noarchivelog mode
              TSharma-Oracle
              If you do not want to read the whole doc This is the snippet for you.

Recovering a NOARCHIVELOG Database with Incremental Backups

Restoring a database running in NOARCHIVELOG mode is similar to restoring a database in ARCHIVELOG mode. The main differences are:

Only consistent backups can be used in restoring a database in NOARCHIVELOG mode.

Media recovery is not possible because no archived redo logs exist.

You can perform limited recovery of changes to a database running in NOARCHIVELOG mode by applying incremental backups. The incremental backups must be consistent, like all backups of a database run in NOARCHIVELOG mode, so you cannot make backups of the database when it is open.

When you are recovering a NOARCHIVELOG database, specify the NOREDO option on the RECOVER command to indicate that RMAN should not attempt to apply archived redo logs. Otherwise, RMAN returns an error.

To recover a NOARCHIVELOG database with incremental backups:

After connecting to the target database and the recovery catalog, place the database in a mounted state:

STARTUP FORCE MOUNT
              Restore and recover the database.

For example, you can perform incomplete recovery with the following commands:

RESTORE DATABASE
              FROM TAG "consistent_whole_backup";
              RECOVER DATABASE NOREDO;
              Open the database with the RESETLOGS option.

For example, enter the following command:

ALTER DATABASE OPEN RESETLOGS;
              • 4. Re: Restore using incremental backup with noarchivelog mode
                Hemant K Chitale
                How do you do the daily incremental backups ? You'd have to have the database shutdown and restarted in MOUNT but not OPEN mode.

Can your organisation afford the downtime ?

Hemant K Chitale
                • 5. Re: Restore using incremental backup with noarchivelog mode
                  Thanks all. The given oracle documentation link what exactly I'm looking for.

But I need little more clarification on the term "consistent_whole_backup" in below command mentioned.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  2.Restore and recover the database.

For example, you can perform incomplete recovery with the following commands:

RESTORE DATABASE
                  FROM TAG "consistent_whole_backup";
                  RECOVER DATABASE NOREDO;
                  -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Does this mean it will restore the database to "last successful offline backup+ all its successor incremental backups". But in my scenario, I dont want to go for last successful backup instead I want previous offline backup+ incremental backups up to mid week. Lets say 13th Jan offline backup+ incremental backups upto 16th Jan.

So can we customize the RMAN command to trigger restore from that backup???

And coming to archivelog mode, the system is development system so customer do not want to go for additional space cost and they are okay to loose data if such case occurs.
                  • 6. Re: Restore using incremental backup with noarchivelog mode
                    clarification needed on command provided in oracle documentation

Edited by: Venkateshwar on Jan 20, 2013 10:51 PM