This discussion is archived
2 Replies Latest reply: Jan 20, 2013 5:44 PM by Hemant K Chitale RSS

Log Switch during RMAN backup

sandy121 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I have seen in many RMAN backup scripts that a manual log switching is performed in first line of the script? What is it purpose, just to write changes needed to reconstruct the DML/DDL statements to online redo logfiles and start the archiving process if db is running in archive log mode?
  • 1. Re: Log Switch during RMAN backup
    Aman.... Oracle ACE
    918868 wrote:
    I have seen in many RMAN backup scripts that a manual log switching is performed in first line of the script? What is it purpose, just to write changes needed to reconstruct the DML/DDL statements to online redo logfiles and start the archiving process if db is running in archive log mode?
    That could be the only reason but even that is not needed as RMAN would do a log switch automatically to push the current redo log file to make it's archive log and include it in the backup.

Aman....
  • 2. Re: Log Switch during RMAN backup
    Hemant K Chitale Oracle ACE
    I have seen in many RMAN backup scripts that a manual log switching is performed in first line of the script?
    That is no value add and harmless.

What is dangerous is NOT causing a log switch (i.e. archive log) between BACKUP DATABASE and BACKUP ARCHIVELOG commands. We definitely need an archive log after the database backup to be included in the archivelog backup.

Hemant K Chitale

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points