This discussion is archived
6 Replies Latest reply: Jan 20, 2013 4:09 PM by user9106065 RSS

RAC - number of local disks?

user9106065 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi to all,

We are in preparation for the purchase of equipment for two- node Oracle10g RAC (on Windows Server 2008) and I need your help to configure the disks on servers.
We have an existing EMC VNX5500 storage and SAN 8Gb switches.
My question is with how many disks to configure servers?
Originally we planned four SSD discs (two in RAID 1 for OS and two in RAID 1 for locally Oracle home) for each node/server, and everything else on storage disks (Shared Disks Storage).
Whether it is necessary to have more local disks and for what?
Where should be redologs files, archivelogs files, backup files…

Whether it is better server to be configured with six SSD disks:
-     two in RAID 1 for OS,
-     four in RAID 10 (or RAID 1) for locally Oracle home, archivelogs files, or something else…?

Thanks in advance!
  • 1. Re: RAC - number of local disks?
    JohnWatson Guru
    user9106065 wrote:
    Where should be redologs files, archivelogs files, backup files…
    Your redolog files MUST be on the shared storage, your archivelog files and backup file SHOULD be on shared storage. NOT on local discs. If your implementation consultants have not made this clear, you should fire them.
    Also, you should ask them why they are intending to install release 10g. Even if for some reasoi you are forced to run a 10g database, you should be installing 11.2.0.3 Grid Infrastructure (clusterware and ASM).
  • 2. Re: RAC - number of local disks?
    user9106065 Newbie
    JohnWatson wrote:

Your redolog files MUST be on the shared storage, your archivelog files and backup file SHOULD be on shared storage. NOT on local discs.
    This means that I need local disks only for OS and Oracle home?
    JohnWatson wrote:
    Also, you should ask them why they are intending to install release 10g. Even if for some reasoi you are forced to run a 10g database, you should be installing 11.2.0.3 Grid Infrastructure (clusterware and ASM).
    Database will be 10g, clusterware will be 11g
  • 3. Re: RAC - number of local disks?
    JohnWatson Guru
    user9106065 wrote:
    This means that I need local disks only for OS and Oracle home?
    That's right, sorry I didn't make it clear before. There is one more point: your GI home must of course be on the local discs; you can put the DB home on local discs as well if you want, or install it as a shared home on an ACFS file system.
  • 4. Re: RAC - number of local disks?
    user9106065 Newbie
    JohnWatson wrote:
    There is one more point: your GI home must of course be on the local discs; you can put the DB home on local discs as well if you want, or install it as a shared home on an ACFS file system.
    GI and DB homes can be installed on same disks?
  • 5. Re: RAC - number of local disks?
    JohnWatson Guru
    Sorry, but two answers is enough for spmeone who doesn't say "thank you".
  • 6. Re: RAC - number of local disks?
    user9106065 Newbie
    Apologize, thank you very match for your answers.
    What you think for two local SAS 6Gbps 15K disk (RAID 1) for OS and Oracle DB and GI homes to be on disks presented from EMC VNX5500 storage locally on each server/node? In my opinion it is better drives from storage than local server disks…

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points