2 Replies Latest reply: Jan 21, 2013 8:12 AM by stefan nebesnak RSS

Differences that matter

Robert Angel
      HI,

Can anyone point me at a document outlining 'key' differences between databases / configuration / hardware that can potentially make a difference to what results you get when running sql / pl/sql - I am trying to find a check list to use against PROD / DEV / TEST environments.

thanks,

Robert.
        • 1. Re: Differences that matter
          Robert Angel
          Okay, I quote; -

Test in DEV – DEV is the developers sandpit area where you can test for basic functionality.

Test in TEST – TEST instance is usually refreshed from PROD (i.e. using Oracle streams) and has production data and application code. Small volume tests can be conducted here to ensure validity.

TEST in QA – the QA instance is an exact replica of PROD and has volume-testing tools to realistically simulate a real production load.

Anyone like to add any requirements over and above what I have above as a statement of best practise on environment management?

thanks,

Robert.
          • 2. Re: Differences that matter
            stefan nebesnak
            Robert Angel wrote:
            HI,

Can anyone point me at a document outlining 'key' differences between databases / configuration / hardware that can potentially make a difference to what results you get when running sql / pl/sql - I am trying to find a check list to use against PROD / DEV / TEST environments.

thanks,

Robert.
            You can check for differences between PROD/DEV/TEST in:
            v$instance                     --Startup time
            v$datafile, v$tempfile, v$log, --database size
            dba_free_space                 --free space
            nls_database_parameters        --(init.ora/spfile) --lists permanent NLS parameters of the database that is set at the database creation.
            v$nls_parameters               --curent values of the nls parameters for that session
            dba_segments                   --physical data segments
            dba_feature_usage_statistics   --displays information about database feature usage statistics.
            v$sga, v$sysstat               --sga and pga memory