This discussion is archived
8 Replies Latest reply: Jan 22, 2013 12:57 AM by gimbal2 RSS

Suggestion on Scheduling

985432 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi experts,

We have a application that is running in JBOSS 7 EJB 3.1 and JSF.. I will create a module that will generate a report per schedule that was define in database..

Example: A customer define in the database that they want to generate the report every Monday 3pm.

Any suggestion? Im thinking quartz or time services..

Regards,
  • 1. Re: Suggestion on Scheduling
    TPD-Opitz-Consulting-com Expert
    user2000609 wrote:I will create a module that will generate a report per schedule that was define in database..

Example: A customer define in the database that they want to generate the report every Monday 3pm.
    How do you force the user to be logged in at that time?

I think the better way was to use the databases scheduling mechanism...

bye
    TPD

Edited by: TPD Opitz-Consulting com on 21.01.2013 15:43
  • 2. Re: Suggestion on Scheduling
    985432 Newbie
    There will be a background process that will check the database whether a report need to generate for a certain customer..
  • 3. Re: Suggestion on Scheduling
    gimbal2 Guru
    Any suggestion? Im thinking quartz or time services..
    Both can be used for scheduling, yes. In my opinion what you want is a job that periodically fires, say every minute, to see if there are reports to generate by investigating the database; I don't think you want to create a scheduled job per report. If you agree with me I'm pretty sure you can use either technology for this simple task.

The interesting bit to me is: what do you do when there actually is a report to generate, since this process tends to be a bit time consuming depending on the complexity of the report. Even more interesting: what if there are 50 reports to generate? Can they all go at once, or should that perhaps be queued?
  • 4. Re: Suggestion on Scheduling
    rp0428 Guru
    >
    I will create a module that will generate a report per schedule that was define in database..
    >
    What does 'generate a report' mean? Without knowing what needs to be done to generate a report and where the report needs to be stored when it is generated there isn't anyway to answer your question.

Use DBMS_SCHEDULER to schedule processes. Create a stored procedure that generates the report based on your schedule 'that was define in the database'.
  • 5. Re: Suggestion on Scheduling
    aksarben Journeyer
    I agree with the other replies: Your user interface or Web server has little or nothing to do with generating a scheduled report. That's purely a back end process. Unless you mis-spoke, and the USER is going to initiate the report.
  • 6. Re: Suggestion on Scheduling
    985432 Newbie
    It will generate a csv file that was extracted to the database.. Any suggestionS? THANKS
  • 7. Re: Suggestion on Scheduling
    rp0428 Guru
    Then just use DBMS_SCHEDULER to schedule the execution of a procedure that creates the CSV file.
  • 8. Re: Suggestion on Scheduling
    gimbal2 Guru
    rp0428 wrote:
    Then just use DBMS_SCHEDULER to schedule the execution of a procedure that creates the CSV file.
    That would be a valid suggestion... IF the OP is actually using an Oracle DBMS. I don't see any proof of that though.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points