This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Jan 22, 2013 4:18 AM by 986206 RSS

Any gotcha's on using FRA in ASM for archive logs?

986206 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Trying to find a best practices document from Oracle regarding the use of ASM to store the archivelogs in RAC. Most of the DBA's I know create a non-ASM location to store the archivelogs. Are there any considerations if you are also using dataguard?

Thanks
  • 1. Re: Any gotcha's on using FRA in ASM for archive logs?
    P.Forstmann Guru
    I'm not sure Oracle has published such a document but you can read Uwe Hesse (Oracle employee and trainer) blog on FRA http://uhesse.com/2011/09/22/the-recovery-area-why-it-is-recommended/.

Im my experience monitor your FRA usage especially for archived redo logs: if instance parameter DB_RECOVERY_FILE_DEST_SIZE is set too low you may get (in)famous ORA-00257 archiver stuck issue.
  • 2. Re: Any gotcha's on using FRA in ASM for archive logs?
    rcc50886 Journeyer
    For so many reasons the archivelog location should be shared among the cluster nodes.
  • 3. Re: Any gotcha's on using FRA in ASM for archive logs?
    JohnWatson Guru
    The answers above say nothing about whether one should store archivelogs on ASM.
    I think best practice according to Uncle Oracle is firstly, archive to a fast recovery area; secondly, place the FRA on ASM. You say that most DBAs you know store them on a non-ASM location. I would think that is because they do not have a tape media manager for RMAN, and are therefore relying on third party products that cannot read ASM files to move archivelogs backups to tape. If you have a MML driver to let RMAN drive your tape library, then store your archivelogs on the FRA and use RMAN to back them up to tape. If you do not have an MML, then you will need to get your archivelogs (or a backup of them) onto a non-ASM location so that they can go to tape from there.
  • 4. Re: Any gotcha's on using FRA in ASM for archive logs?
    BillyVerreynne Oracle ACE
    joanlink wrote:
    Trying to find a best practices document from Oracle regarding the use of ASM to store the archivelogs in RAC. Most of the DBA's I know create a non-ASM location to store the archivelogs. Are there any considerations if you are also using dataguard?
    ASM for archive logging works just fine - and is my preference. Tested it pretty extensively in a dev cluster using different storage servers (we were testing storage fabric layers and not RMAN/ASM/archive logging specifically). Lost the database a few times and had to recover. No issues with archive logs being on ASM and it worked quite seamlessly.
  • 5. Re: Any gotcha's on using FRA in ASM for archive logs?
    986206 Newbie
    Thanks for these replies. My plan is to use a FRA on ASM for the archivelogs but do RMAN backups into a non-ASM space.

I have used the FRA extensively before for rman backups, archivelogs and duplexed copy of redo and controlfiles but never archivelogs in ASM.

Any gotcha's with dataguard using archivelogs in ASM?

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points