2 Replies Latest reply: Jan 22, 2013 1:34 AM by bigdelboy RSS

exam dumps

nick woodward
      Hi,

Don't worry, i'm not going to use them - and i'm not entirely sure what they involve.... am i right in thinking that they are multiple choice questions from the exams that you memorise?

my question is this. are there any sources that provide legitimate questions in this sort of format? obviously not ones from the exam, but ones that actually test your knowledge?

i'm studying 1z0-051, and quite frankly the john watson official exam guide is rubbish! no offense to anyone, but it is at best poorly worded, and at worst flat out wrong in many cases. i spend a significant amount of time trying to work out what the hell the book means, rather than what the sql means.

to get to the point - i work better when i am asked a question. ie 'retrieve all employees that have x/y/z'. the official exam guide does this at the end of the chapter, but i would like more sample questions if possible.

do such sources exist? (websites, books, etc?) i tried looking for the two stickied links above to find some insight, but the links are broken. i'm getting pretty fed up with this exam guide....!!

thanks,

nick

Edited by: 967660 on 21-Jan-2013 19:37

Edited by: 967660 on 21-Jan-2013 19:38
        • 1. Re: exam dumps
          Matthew Morris
          ...am i right in thinking that they are multiple choice questions from the exams that you memorise?
          That is the definition of brain dumps, yes. They purport to be actual test questions and answers. How accurate they are is subject to question. Using them is cheating nonetheless.
          are there any sources that provide legitimate questions in this sort of format?
          The only providers that Oracle recommends are Transcender and Self Test Software. Both of these are run by Kaplan. There are several threads that talk about the differences. Basically Transcender is more expensive and contains more questions.

UCertify is also not a provider of brain dumps, but the quality of their product has been questioned by many people.
          i'm studying 1z0-051, and quite frankly the john watson official exam guide is rubbish!
          I haven't read that book so can't comment. John's a good guy. I've not dealt with his co-author, Roopesh Ramklass. My understanding is that the self-test questions in there weren't written by John, though. While I like Oracle Press books, I've yet to find one that had self test questions that were anything like the exam.

There are some links to articles on SQL that may help round out the book at the following URL:
          http://www.oraclecertificationprep.com/apex/f?p=OCPSG:EXAM_DETAILS:0::NO::P2_EXAM:1Z0-051

None of them are specific to the Guide. They are just articles about using SQL.
          to get to the point - i work better when i am asked a question.
          If that's what you're looking for, the Kaplan self tests may be what you need. My understanding is that they have access to the real test questions. This allows them to create accurate sample questions without those questions actually being the same as real exam questions.
          • 2. Re: exam dumps
            bigdelboy
            >
            i'm studying 1z0-051, and quite frankly the john watson official exam guide is rubbish! no offense to anyone, but it is at best poorly worded, and at worst flat out wrong in many cases. i spend a significant amount of time trying to work out what the hell the book means, rather than what the sql means.

Ah ... sometimes a bad workman blames his tools. But I have seen others make this comment so perhaps you may feel not alone.

I actually found the book okay .... but I knew and used SQL over many years before I took the exam and used the book more as a gap fill.... so I may have cherry picked bits i didn't know. It also helped structure my revision.

If you wany to feel better ask yourself if you would be better / easier with or without the Watson's book and associated questions ? ... it probably comes in at good value for the money.

The practical point of my post is however to ensure you have checked the book errata .....

http://www.mhprofessional.com/?page=/mhp/categories/oracle_press/content/errata.html
            http://www.mhprofessional.com/downloads/products/0071591028/0071591028_errata.txt

Also beware of relying too much on answering questions as a revision techique. And beware of doing the questions immediately after reading the questions:

My understanding of my brain is that it has:

short term memory .... what I have done today
            medium term memory ... what I can recall quickly
            long term memory ... this has a retrieval time of a few hours.

Transfer from short term memory to medium term memory occurs somewhat overnight ... whereupton short term memory gets erased. medium term memory also degrades.

I need most knowledge in medium term memory to pass a certification exam.

A key point with regards to questions, including end of chapter questions, is that if you do the questions immediately after the chapter you will be doing it from short term memory rather than medium term memory. While that may achieve the goal of helping get the knowledge into medium term memory ... it gives no evidence of what is in medium term memory ... and what gaps you have in your medium term memory.

So my suggestion is to treat questions as a scarce resource. From once you have seen a question/answer once you will typically remember the answer more from the question rather than from your knowledge of the underlying topic.

Practical suggestions are:
            (1) Do not attempt questions too early ... until you are sure you understand the underlying topic.
            (2) Do not attempt questions if you have been revising that topic on the same day.
            (2a) study the answers carefully .. even if you got it correct search your soul to confirm your understand the topic and why you got the question right.
            (3) Consider leaving all end of chapter questions until your revision is complete.
            (3a) If you want to do (a) must look at questions 'early' then do so you a chapter (or two) 1/3 to 2/3 of the way through the book.

As Matthew has said, Oracle Press questions tend to be a little less involved than those on the real exam .... they tend to test the same gap knowledge but can often be qucker to complete. So dont be fooled if you complete them in 1/3 the time of a real exam ... the time pressure on a real exam will be greater.