This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Jan 22, 2013 1:55 AM by jiri.machotka RSS

How to create custom reports.

SashankPappu Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi ,

Could you please let us know how to create custom reports which are data based and not analytics. Which is the best method , is it to devlop reports in sites or integrate with OBIEE reports. could you please let us know the best practices for this approach.

Thank you,
Sashank P.
  • 1. Re: How to create custom reports.
    jiri.machotka Guru
    Sites is not a reporting tool. If you want something that can generate reports from data in a database (or a 3rd party apps data) you should really look into OBIEE.

OBIEE has its own portal (I think I've heard that last versions are based on the WebCenter Portal: Spaces). I assume it will be easier to have this running as a separate portal and integrate with Sites. IMHO there are two ways:
    - you could use BI Publisher that would create reports as documents. These documents could be then used in Sites
    - you could run OBIEE Portal in its own window in Sites (imagine you have any other 3rd party web app)
  • 2. Re: How to create custom reports.
    SashankPappu Newbie
    Hi ,

Can you please help us in what is the best way to use dynamic generation of reports based on the data passed at that page. I mean if a user click on radio buttons in the UI page and depending on the data clicked he need to pass those data for inputs and should then generate the reports based on those inputs. Can you help us on this. Is their any predefined functionality for this . If not what are the possible ways to go with .

Thank you,
    Sashank P.
  • 3. Re: How to create custom reports.
    jiri.machotka Guru
    I think there are many questions that YOU should first answer:
    1) what data you want to report on? Is it data from a database? file system? Web service outputs?
    2) what is the overall purpose of your solution?
    3) what is your architecture?
    4) why Sites?

It feels like you could go with a solution like OBIEE, or at worst develop something in ADF.
    If you need dynamic report generation and use Sites as the main frontend, I'd go with the approach mentioned last time - have two servers, one for Sites, the other for reports and display the other server in a Sites "window" (most likely an iframe). Everything else will require integration. Portal might be a better fit, then.
  • 4. Re: How to create custom reports.
    SashankPappu Newbie
    Hi Jiri ,

Thanks a lot for your support. Below are my answers for the request:

1) what data you want to report on? Is it data from a database? file system? Web service outputs?
    Ans : The Data would be mostly from Database only.
    2) what is the overall purpose of your solution?
    Ans: The overall purpose of this solution is to generate reports with sorting capability and should be able to export in different format documents.
    3) what is your architecture?
    Ans :
    4) why Sites?
    Ans: The customers login into our site and can be able to view the different reports and the present site is already a webcenter site. and the reporting capability is an enhancement .

Can you please provide the right approach here. We have an option of using ADF or even we can use Webcenter Portals. So which would be the best approach to go. And can you please guide us any approach or examples for integrating Webcenter Portals and Sites and even integrating ADf with Sites.

Thank you,
    Sashank P.
  • 5. Re: How to create custom reports.
    jiri.machotka Guru
    I don't believe anyone external will be able to tell you what the "best" solution is. Personally, I would use the two servers approach, perhaps, with SSO, but I'd be repeating myself.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points