6 Replies Latest reply: Jan 22, 2013 7:40 AM by user8983130 RSS

Creating standby DB after failover

user8983130
      Hi,

I have performed failover to my standby DB, now i need to re create the standby db for the new production.

But there is some confusion, because previously , in my production db_name and unique name was same, suppose
      test1. And the db_name and unique_name for standby was test1 and test2. And i created standby db that way using test1 and test2 in log_archive_config.

After failover, the scenario changed , the production has two different value,db name test1 and db unique name test2. And i need create standby from this. It makes me confuse, how i will create standby? What will be the db unique name for new standby??

Please help me...

regards,
        • 1. Re: Creating standby DB after failover
          JohnWatson
          user8983130 wrote:
          What will be the db unique name for new standby??
          Choose any name you like for the db_unique_name. There is no connection between db_name and db_unique_name.

Edited by: JohnWatson on Jan 20, 2013 4:12 PM
          • 2. Re: Creating standby DB after failover
            user8983130
            thanks.

we use db_unque_name in log_archive_config, ok???

and in the log_archive_dest_state_2, we service name..should it be necessary to be same of the db_unique_name???
            • 3. Re: Creating standby DB after failover
              JohnWatson
              user8983130 wrote:
              thanks.

and in the log_archive_dest_state_2, we service name..should it be necessary to be same of the db_unique_name???
              Choose any name you like for the service name. There is no connection between service name and db_unique_name.
              • 4. Re: Creating standby DB after failover
                CKPT
                user8983130 wrote:
                thanks.

DB_NAME should be same across the primary and physical standby databases.
                DB_UNIQUE_NAME choose different names for each database.
                Service names whatever you use either in FAL_CLIENT/FAL_SERVER (or) DEST_n there is no relation with DB_NAME/DB_UNIQUE_NAME, Its just service name how you want to call.

HTH.
                • 5. Re: Creating standby DB after failover
                  user8983130
                  Thank you all.

One more thing...in Oracle 11.2.0.2, when i would try to create standby db by rman:

rman target sys/sys@chicago(primary) auxilary sys/sys@boston(standby)

if there is some error in parameter set ,is there any chance affecting the primary db??? I meant what i do to create standby db by using the above command will do nothing to primary db???? Right or wrong???

Regards,
                  • 6. Re: Creating standby DB after failover
                    mseberg
                    The simple answer is no.

There are also a few diffeent connect options

rman target sys/password@PRIMARY auxiliary /

rman target=sys/password@primary auxiliary=sys/password@standby

Best Regards

mseberg