This discussion is archived
13 Replies Latest reply: Jan 24, 2013 7:08 AM by Dude! RSS

Delete Oracle.com Account

986001 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I've seen various requests for this here and elsewhere but no answer, so I will ask again:

Please can you provide details of how to delete my Oracle.com account?

This is not a request to stop receiving newsletters, this is a request for how to delete my account.

As an EU citizen I am asking for this information so that I can exercise my rights under EU Directive 95/46/EC as enacted in the UK as the Data Protection Act 1998.
  • 1. Re: Delete Oracle.com Account
    BluShadow Guru Moderator
    Please contact Oracle to have them deal with your request, as it does not relate to the Feedback or Suggestions for the community... (and it's not something any moderator can do)

http://www.oracle.com/us/corporate/contact/index.html
  • 2. Re: Delete Oracle.com Account
    BillyVerreynne Oracle ACE
    OTN does not use e-mail verification, does it?

In which case you can delete your account by
    - changing the account handle to something like please-delete-me
    - changing your account's e-mail address to something like bitbucket@bigsky.net

This will remove your "private" details from the account and render it effectively useless.

As for existing postings made using that account - accordance to the OTN terms of service and laws governing public "conversations" on the Internet, you do not own those postings in any way of form. You cannot claim copyright. You cannot insist on their removal.
  • 3. Re: Delete Oracle.com Account
    Terms of service is quite explicit. And as I read it, you cannot demand OTN to delete your OTN postings.

>
    *6. Your Content*

You agree that you will only upload, share, post, publish, transmit, or otherwise make available ("Share") on or through the Site Content that you have the right and authority to Share and for which you have the right and authority to grant to Oracle all of the licenses and rights set forth herein. By Sharing Content, you grant Oracle a worldwide, perpetual, royalty-free, irrevocable, nonexclusive, fully sublicensable license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display, broadcast, transmit and distribute the Content for any purpose and in any form, medium, or technology now known or later developed. This includes, without limitation, the right to incorporate or implement the Content into any Oracle product or service, and to display, market, sublicense and distribute the Content as incorporated or embedded in any product or service distributed or offered by Oracle without compensation to you. You warrant that: (a) you have the right and authority to grant this license; (b) Oracle's exercise of the rights granted pursuant to this license will not infringe or otherwise violate any third party rights; and (c) all so-called moral rights in the Content have been waived to the full extent allowed by law.
  • 4. Re: Delete Oracle.com Account
    986001 Newbie
    Thanks for you comments Billy, but I feel you have missed the point and detail of my request.

Changing the details does not remove my details from Oracle's systems. This is a matter beyond just OTN that is not addressed anywhere on OTN or Oracle.com. The request I wanted to put to Oracle, but was completely hindered from doing hence my post here, was the removal of my account and personal information. This I am permitted to do under EU rules, yet Oracle seem quite happy to make that the most difficult thing to do in the world. If you can point me to the place where I can delete my account and personal information from all Oracle.com properties I would be most grateful and would apologise here before finally departing.

I am not asking for the removal of public information. That is not covered under the EU rules.

I am simply asking to be allowed to exercise my legal right. The "Contact Us" link provided by BluShadow is completely useless in this respect. The best I could manage to do was submit a fault/support ticket through GMSS for "Username/Password Issue".
  • 5. Re: Delete Oracle.com Account
    6363 Guru
    982998 wrote:
    Thanks for you comments Billy, but I feel you have missed the point and detail of my request.

Changing the details does not remove my details from Oracle's systems. This is a matter beyond just OTN that is not addressed anywhere on OTN or Oracle.com. The request I wanted to put to Oracle, but was completely hindered from doing hence my post here, was the removal of my account and personal information. This I am permitted to do under EU rules,
    Can you highlight where in the Act it gives you the right to delete your account

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1998/29/contents
  • 6. Re: Delete Oracle.com Account
    986001 Newbie
    Principles 4 & 5 on the ability to be accurate, up to date and held for no longer than necessary have already been shown to cover a user requesting deletion
  • 7. Re: Delete Oracle.com Account
    6363 Guru
    It has been mentioned before that this is not the right place for a legal discussion, bit since you bring it up, you would have to do much better than that to make any kind of a case.
  • 8. Re: Delete Oracle.com Account
    2889 Journeyer
    http://dilbert.com/strips/comic/2011-02-23/

Billy  Verreynne  wrote:
    Terms of service is quite explicit. And as I read it, you cannot demand OTN to delete your OTN postings.

>
    *6. Your Content*

You agree that you will only upload, share, post, publish, transmit, or otherwise make available ("Share") on or through the Site Content that you have the right and authority to Share and for which you have the right and authority to grant to Oracle all of the licenses and rights set forth herein. By Sharing Content, you grant Oracle a worldwide, perpetual, royalty-free, irrevocable, nonexclusive, fully sublicensable license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display, broadcast, transmit and distribute the Content for any purpose and in any form, medium, or technology now known or later developed. This includes, without limitation, the right to incorporate or implement the Content into any Oracle product or service, and to display, market, sublicense and distribute the Content as incorporated or embedded in any product or service distributed or offered by Oracle without compensation to you. You warrant that: (a) you have the right and authority to grant this license; (b) Oracle's exercise of the rights granted pursuant to this license will not infringe or otherwise violate any third party rights; and (c) all so-called moral rights in the Content have been waived to the full extent allowed by law.
  • 9. Re: Delete Oracle.com Account
    Exactly.

Which is why I toxify my liver with as much coffee and caffeine as possible to make sure that They don't want it. ;-)
  • 10. Re: Delete Oracle.com Account
    982998 wrote:
    <snipped>
    I am not asking for the removal of public information. That is not covered under the EU rules.
    I raised the issue of postings made as it may contain information you may deem as personal, or perhaps not that difficult to be associated with you, despite the account handle being anonymous. (have seen this requested before here)

There also could be technical issues with physically deleting the account, as that would leave orphaned child data (postings) that may not be possible to remove. In which case anonymising the account could be a better bet.

For an OTN specific account (here on Jives Forums), the personal data is 4 items. Name, location, e-mail address and description. This is very easy to edit and change - with the exception of the username that is associated with e-mail address to identify the account. Not sure whether or not changing your e-mail address also changes your account's unique identifier/name. It should.

And this is a far more practical method to address your issue, than wave EU rules around in a community forum that are not often frequented by OTN admin, and who usually only respond to specific technical issues, and have no authority to state the legal position of Oracle, or respond to questions about EU laws being adhered to by Oracle (a predominant US company).
  • 11. Re: Delete Oracle.com Account
    Dude! Guru
    Billy  Verreynne  wrote:
    As for existing postings made using that account - accordance to the OTN terms of service and laws governing public "conversations" on the Internet, you do not own those postings in any way of form. You cannot claim copyright. You cannot insist on their removal.
    Well, if you do not own the copyright, how could you possibly grant Oracle any rights, according to the Oracle terms you mentioned? Copyright gives the owner the right to exclude others from using their works, but does not give them rights to sell or distribute your work. Forum posts, blogs, email and web pages enjoy copyright protection, but only expression is protected, not actual facts or ideas. Granting someone else rights does not invalidate your own rights.

However, I don't see where the request to delete a user's account has anything to do with copyright. It's about privacy. And btw, simply changing your account handle does not change other people's posting quotes, which can still show your previous identity. That's perhaps a technical issue that could be addressed.
  • 12. Re: Delete Oracle.com Account
    Dude wrote:

Well, if you do not own the copyright, how could you possibly grant Oracle any rights, according to the Oracle terms you mentioned?
    I said you cannot claim+ copyright. E.g. post sample PL/SQL code in the PL/SQL forum, claim copyright, and then insist on royalty payments from Oracle in case they happen to grab that code and use it.
    Forum posts, blogs, email and web pages enjoy copyright protection, but only expression is protected, not actual facts or ideas.
    Beg to differ. Lawyers will argue either way, depending on which side pays them. And the court will decide on the "best" argument/case and not necessarily on what you and I think is moral and just.
    Granting someone else rights does not invalidate your own rights.
    Agree.
    However, I don't see where the request to delete a user's account has anything to do with copyright. It's about privacy. And btw, simply changing your account handle does not change other people's posting quotes, which can still show your previous identity. That's perhaps a technical issue that could be addressed.
    If deleting the account means that, technically, deleting the account's posting contents too (that arguable could still be useful), the argument can be made that as Oracle Corp "owns this content" and do not want to delete it, the account can instead be anonymised to remove private details from the account. Contents of what were posted via the account, remains.

Playing devil's advocate here. So be gentle. ;-)
  • 13. Re: Delete Oracle.com Account
    Dude! Guru
    The Devil's Advocate was a 1997 movie with Keanu Reeves, Al Pacino and Charlize Theron. A hotshot lawyer gets more than he bargained for when he learns his new boss is Lucifer himself. Least, last, but not, the laywer always wins. ;-)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points