This discussion is archived
7 Replies Latest reply: Jan 31, 2013 2:03 PM by Ganesh A Moovera 25 RSS

[nQSError: 43059] Dynamic refresh of repository scope variables has failed

Ganesh A Moovera 25 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Going through a variety of different forums I see that many have encountered this error but I could not find any definitive solution to the same hence the thread.

I created an initialization block with 8 dynamic repository variables and see the following error in the Server log. Since all the variables change values monthly it was only going through the log files that exposed this.

[nQSError: 43059] Init block 'VDW_DT_CTL': Dynamic refresh of repository scope variables has failed.

Things I have tried:

1. I have tested the initialization block with the RPD in "Online Mode" and the query executes fine and populates the expected results. So I am presuming that it is able to connect just fine to the DB.

2. I have also given a fully qualified DSN within the RPD connection pool such that it does not depend on referencing the tnsnames.ora file for the DB connection details. All the reports working off another connection pool with similar details work just fine.

It would be of great help if someone who has effectively solved this could help out with some insight of what I could look at. Again, most of the threads on this topic seem to be left unanswered and hence the enquiry.

Thanks,

Ganesh Moovera
  • 2. Re: [nQSError: 43059] Dynamic refresh of repository scope variables has failed
    Srini VEERAVALLI Guru
    About to ask you reg. version :)

Can you make sure 'Call Interface' the 'Default (OCI 10g/11g) or its based on your current database version?

Do you see any ORA errors in the logs?

Edited by: Srini VEERAVALLI on Jan 21, 2013 6:15 PM
  • 3. Re: [nQSError: 43059] Dynamic refresh of repository scope variables has failed
    Thanks for responding Srini. This is the complete error from the BI Server log:

[2013-01-21T06:40:00.000+00:00] [OracleBIServerComponent] [ERROR:1] [] [] [ecid: 004otWNicubD4iH_qt^AyY0006vG000000] [tid: 7c3ef950] [nQSError: 17014] Could not connect to Oracle database. [[
    [nQSError: 17001] Oracle Error code: 12545, message: ORA-12545: Connect failed because target host or object does not exist
    at OCI call OCIServerAttach.
    ]]
    [2013-01-21T06:40:00.000+00:00] [OracleBIServerComponent] [ERROR:1] [] [] [ecid: 004otWNicubD4iH_qt^AyY0006vG000000] [tid: 7c3ef950] [nQSError: 43059] Init block 'XYZ': Dynamic refresh of repository scope variables has failed.

"ORA-12545" does point to the client not being able to communicate with the listener on the specified node. I have checked and ensured that all the nodes defined in the connection pool are active. We are also trying to investigate issues with the Firewall.

My concern is that this tends to fail each and everytime on an hourly refresh cycle. If it is indeed unable to connect to communicate with the listener then it shoud throw the same error when tested through the RPD in online mode which is not the case.

We are using the default OCI 10g/ 11g connection. The database in question is Oracle 11.1.0.7 (as per when the environment was built out 6 months back - not sure because another team maintains the DBs)
  • 4. Re: [nQSError: 43059] Dynamic refresh of repository scope variables has failed
    Srini VEERAVALLI Guru
    Confirm your database version and then open rpd online mode change 'Call Interface' and then test the init block.

Still its not working or all are good then I would suggest to add the below entry at your sqlnet.ora @db server
    tcp.invited_nodes=(<BIServer hostname>,127.0.0.1)

If helps pls mark.
  • 5. Re: [nQSError: 43059] Dynamic refresh of repository scope variables has failed
    I tried changing the OCI Name in online mode and testing out the init block. I also tried to add an additional test variable to the same init block in online mode and the test successfully populated the required results.

I will confirm the version of the DB tomorrow with the DBA in case they have made any updates. The recommendation for an addition to the sqlnet.ora file made by you seems to be for a listner valid node check. Would it change with the DB version? I will try that out after confirming the version with the DBA and mark your response if successful.

Thanks once again.
  • 6. Re: [nQSError: 43059] Dynamic refresh of repository scope variables has failed
    I looked this up on Oracle Support and there was one thread that it said that it could be resolved with a 11.1.1.6. to 11.1.1.6.2 patch update.

We have one test environment on 11.1.1.6.6 to which we have uploaded the RPD to receive the same error, although it now additionally indicated a "Blacklisted Connection Pool". Here are the error details:\

"

[2013-01-22T00:30:32.000-08:00] [OracleBIServerComponent] [ERROR:1] [] [] [ecid: 004osJjn__ADCgH_qt0FyY0006Py000000] [tid: e9c8a950] [nQSError: 17014] Could not connect to Oracle database. [[
    [nQSError: 17001] Oracle Error code: 12545, message: ORA-12545: Connect failed because target host or object does not exist
    at OCI call OCIServerAttach.
    [nQSError: 43059] Init block ‘XYZ’: Dynamic refresh of repository scope variables has failed.
    ]]
    [2013-01-22T00:30:32.000-08:00] [OracleBIServerComponent] [ERROR:1] [] [] [ecid: 004osJjn__ADCgH_qt0FyY0006Py000000] [tid: e9c8a950] [43143] Blacklisted connection pool: 'ABC'

"
    This is the way I have defined the DSN for the OCI 10g/ 11g within the RPD connection pool:

(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=10.53.36.93)(PORT=1541))(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=10.53.36.94)(PORT=1541))(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=10.53.36.95)(PORT=1541))(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=10.53.36.96)(PORT=1541))(LOAD_BALANCE=yes)(CONNECT_DATA=(SERVER=DEDICATED)(SERVICE_NAME=a.b.c)))

My next test would be to individually test each host and see which one causes it to error out.

Any insights of what I could look to additionally do?

PS: The DBA is yet to get back with the exact version of the Oracle 11g DB but it is greater than 11.1.0.7 since that was the version they were running 6 months back and might have upgraded.
  • 7. Re: [nQSError: 43059] Dynamic refresh of repository scope variables has failed
    Just a correction. This was indeed resolved with an upgrade to a version higher that OBIEE 11.1.1.6.0. In my prior reply I had simply checked the error log once and made a stand encountering the error and had failed to check for successive refreshes.

I did not get time to dig around in detail but it seems like OBIEE 11.1.1.6 tends to maintain a loopback to the error in init block refresh once encountered. This is a bug and has been fixed in future versions by ensuring that a brand new refresh is run and no reference made to prior failures.

For now I have run tests to locate the robust DB hosts and I am making use of a connection string that would point specifically to just the two hosts. This way I am ensuring that there is absolutely no reason for the refresh to error out with not being able to connect to the database.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points