This discussion is archived
8 Replies Latest reply: Jan 22, 2013 8:19 PM by Krishna-Oracle RSS

lib32 Folder in Oracle 11g R2

858716 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi, I have Oracle 11g R2 64bit installed on Solaris 5.10 machine. I found that in Oracle 11g R2 there is no lib32 folder which contains the 32bit libraries. But application only works with 32bit libraries.
How and where do I get the 32 bit libraries for Oracle 11gR2.

Your help is appreciated.
  • 1. Re: lib32 Folder in Oracle 11g R2
    Srini Chavali-Oracle Oracle ACE Director
    Answer is in this MOS Doc

$ORACLE_HOME/lib32 does not exist in Oracle database 11gR2. Why? [ID 883702.1]

HTH
    Srini
  • 2. Re: lib32 Folder in Oracle 11g R2
    858716 Newbie
    I installed Oracle 11g32 on a separate home directory but in the same partition of the hard disk.

But I have created any listener or tnsnames.ora file for this 11g32 bit libraries.

I pointed the Oracle11g_32bit/lib folder to LD_LIBRARY_PATH_32 environment variable which is read by applications. But I am getting the following errors..

ORA-12505: TNS:listener does not currently know of SID given in connection.
  • 3. Re: lib32 Folder in Oracle 11g R2
    Always post your issue in a new thread rather than hijacking someone else's thread.

Pl elaborate on what you are trying to do - AFAIK, there is no environment variable named LD_LIBRARY_PATH_32

HTH
    Srini
  • 4. Re: lib32 Folder in Oracle 11g R2
    858716 Newbie
    Thanks for the reply Srini.
    This thread was initiated by me only.

I thought it would be appropriate to continue in this thread hence marked it unanswered.

LD_LIBRARY_PATH_32 is local to application.
    I added the 32bit lib path to LD_LIBRARY_PATH in oracle home directory .profile file too.

As I had mentioned in the beginning of the problem that System has 32bit applications using 64bit Oracle DB.
    When I had installed Oracle 11gR2 64bit, these 32 bit applications kept on crashing.

So as per metalink doc 883702.1, I installed Oracle 11gR2 32bit as well on a separate home.

Now when I try invoke the application I am getting ORA 12505.
  • 5. Re: lib32 Folder in Oracle 11g R2
    sb92075 Guru
    12505, 00000, "TNS:listener does not currently know of SID given in connect descriptor"
    // *Cause:  The listener received a request to establish a connection to a
    // database or other service. The connect descriptor received by the listener
    // specified a SID for an instance (usually a database instance) that either
    // has not yet dynamically registered with the listener or has not been
    // statically configured for the listener. This may be a temporary condition
    // such as after the listener has started, but before the database instance
    // has registered with the listener.
    // *Action:
    // - Wait a moment and try to connect a second time.
    // - Check which instances are currently known by the listener by executing:
    // lsnrctl services <listener name>
    // - Check that the SID parameter in the connect descriptor specifies
    // an instance known by the listener.
    // - Check for an event in the listener.log file.
  • 6. Re: lib32 Folder in Oracle 11g R2
    Ah sorry - did not realize this was opened by you originally :-)

What are ORACLE_HOME and TNS_ADMIN set to ?

HTH
    Srini
  • 7. Re: lib32 Folder in Oracle 11g R2
    EdStevens Guru
    userAtoZ wrote:
    I installed Oracle 11g32 on a separate home directory but in the same partition of the hard disk.

But I have created any listener or tnsnames.ora file for this 11g32 bit libraries.

I pointed the Oracle11g_32bit/lib folder to LD_LIBRARY_PATH_32 environment variable which is read by applications. But I am getting the following errors..

ORA-12505: TNS:listener does not currently know of SID given in connection.
    The reported error has nothing to do with LD_LIBRARY_PATH, or 32-bit vs 64-bit libraries.

It has everything to do with a mis-match between your connection string (probably from tnsnames.ora) and what the listener was expecting. I'd start by modifying your tnsnames.ora file, changing the use of SID= to SERVICE_NAME=. That in itself will probably just change the error you get, but the use of SID= is deprecated and should be replaced with SERVICE_NAME= anyway.

Then start reading here:

[url http://edstevensdba.wordpress.com/2011/02/09/sqlnet_overview/] Help! I can’t connect to my database
    [url http://edstevensdba.wordpress.com/2011/02/16/sqlnet_client_cfg/] Help! I can’t connect to my database (part duex)

Edited by: EdStevens on Jan 22, 2013 4:14 PM
  • 8. Re: lib32 Folder in Oracle 11g R2
    Krishna-Oracle Pro
    Hi,
    You can check below notes. It shows how to check 32 bit procedures in 64 bit environment
    How to execute both 32-bit and 64-bit External Procedures within the same 11.2 database (Doc ID 1109144.1)
    How to install 32-bit extproc on 64-bit environment in 11g R2. (Doc ID 884703.1)

Thanks,
    Krishna

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points