This discussion is archived
10 Replies Latest reply: Jan 23, 2013 10:06 AM by Asked to Learn RSS

Like Facebook Notification in Oracle forms

Asked to Learn Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Dear Experts,

My form is 10g version 10.1.2.3 and DB version is 10g

Hope all of you are fine. I’m trying to do notification work in my forms. Let’s explain the requirement.

What is Notification?
If you use facebook, you are familiar with this. You upload or set a status and any of your friend/s gives like or makes comments on it, you will get notification at the top left corner of your browser.

It’s a leave module where features are
1.     Leave Application,
2.     Leave Approve.

A user applies for a leave via leave application. When he/she save the application a notification will show his/her higher authority logged window or menu area with the message.
If the authority isn’t logged in then, when he login in software notification will display.

How can I accomplish this?

Any idea or example will highly appreciated

Ask2Learn
  • 1. Re: Like Facebook Notification in Oracle forms
    tony.g Journeyer
    Hi Ask,

An alternative would be to send an email to the approver letting them know that there are things to approve.

Lots of examples online of sending emails from Oracle.

cheers
    Tony
  • 2. Re: Like Facebook Notification in Oracle forms
    Asked to Learn Newbie
    tony.g wrote:
    Hi Ask,

An alternative would be to send an email to the approver letting them know that there are things to approve.
    Hi Tony,
    Thanks for your reply. but no alternative, requirement is notification..
  • 3. Re: Like Facebook Notification in Oracle forms
    tony.g Journeyer
    So explain where you would see your notification?

In the Window title?

You could have a timer trigger that runs every 5 minutes and checks a notification table, if there is an unacknowledged notifcation, then you could change the Window title of the formas app to show a (1) at then end of it.

Would that do, or do you need more?

rgds
    Tony
  • 4. Re: Like Facebook Notification in Oracle forms
    Andreas Weiden Guru
    You could create a table like
    SENDER, RECIPIENT, MESSAGE
    and use that as notification table. Then insert a record each time you want to send a notification. In the starting-form of your application, build a block on that table and show all relevant notifications.
  • 5. Re: Like Facebook Notification in Oracle forms
    Asked to Learn Newbie
    Hi Tony,
    So explain where you would see your notification?
    I just mention, Leave module, there are many other module. For example In Purchase Purchase Requigition , Production Module Production Complite , Delivery Module Delivery Ready.

For this it will better to show at respective Menu.
    In the Window title?
    Another good Idea !
    You could have a timer trigger that runs every 5 minutes and checks a notification table, if there is an unacknowledged notifcation, then you could change the Window title of the formas app to show a (1) at then end of it.
    Timer has a bad this.. For example, if i make a timer and run every 5 min. then if user works on a form, timer will hide the form and show the timer window.
    Isn't it ?
    Would that do, or do you need more?
    Yea.. More..It will be like facebook. If any notified work is done by any person, light will go off.

Thanks for your interest and suggestion...

Ask2Learn

Edited by: Asked to Learn on Jan 23, 2013 12:36 AM
  • 6. Re: Like Facebook Notification in Oracle forms
    Asked to Learn Newbie
    Andreas Weiden wrote:
    You could create a table like
    SENDER, RECIPIENT, MESSAGE
    and use that as notification table. Then insert a record each time you want to send a notification. In the starting-form of your application, build a block on that table and show all relevant notifications.
    Hi Andreas Weiden,
    I'm a fan of your replies..
    Something more..
    on replied of Tony's suggestion i have something more as i have more module and notification message is different and for different group members. Is ther any other way to show without table based block ? like as facebook ?

Thanks...

ask2learn
  • 7. Re: Like Facebook Notification in Oracle forms
    Andreas Weiden Guru
    Sorry, i'm not at facebook, so i don't know how notifications work there. If you want something "modern", so might consider writing a javabean which somehow "pops-up" a small window showing the notifications. But still you have to find a specific time when to check for new notifications. This could be done in some trigger which already exists in all your modules (and best if there is some central pll-routine used in that triggers). This maybe could be WHEN-NEW-FORM-INSTANCE, WHEN-NEW-BLOCK-INSTANCE, KEY-EXEQRY
  • 8. Re: Like Facebook Notification in Oracle forms
    Michael Ferrante (Oracle) Guru Moderator
    If you upgrade to Forms 11, you can take advantage of the new External Events feature and leverage Advanced Queuing. Refer to the New Features doc for v11.1.1

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/developer-tools/forms/new-features-134509.pdf

This could potentially give you exactly what you described. If I queue a message, like "requesting leave", that message would be received by all that have subscribed (as determined by the application code) to the event. In other words, when you make the request, my running application will respond to your request.
  • 9. Re: Like Facebook Notification in Oracle forms
    985970 Newbie
    Hey may be u can't send the notification the same way face book does but u can send a notification onto the apps page of the user and what all u need is to whom this person is applying for the leave say u can get that any way because the person's manager is the obvious choice for sending the application
    So when the manager logs into his/her apps page he will see the notifications that he has got.

Regards
    Ram
  • 10. Re: Like Facebook Notification in Oracle forms
    Asked to Learn Newbie
    @Andreas Weiden
    Thanks for your reply. I never try to write java beens. So, you said i need timer by any means.

@Michael
    Thaks for your reply and link. I have no way to upgrade :( do you have any experiance of it ?

@Ram
    What is the way. any concept ?

Thanks all

ask2Learn

Edited by: Asked to Learn on Jan 24, 2013 12:06 AM

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points