This discussion is archived
12 Replies Latest reply: Apr 13, 2013 5:26 PM by marksmithusa RSS

12C - Pluggable database

611900 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello,

I heard about this new feature in the newer version of Oracle RDBMS - “Pluggable database”. My question is -
Will we be able to allocate/restrict resources (CPU/Memory) of PDB’s (Pluggable)?

Like assign max limit of CPU/Memory to CDB (Container) or at Instance level (May be lincensing can be decided from this number) and then from this limit we can allocate to multiple PDBs and limit them so that they don’t impact each other.

This can help clients in Consolidation of their databases.

Thank!
  • 1. Re: 12C - Pluggable database
    P.Forstmann Guru
    It is very unlikely that you get a valid answer because 12c has not been released yet and people working on 12c beta are not allowed to publish anything about Oracle 12c.

So be patient and wait for 12c release ...
  • 2. Re: 12C - Pluggable database
    611900 Newbie
    I feel so too...
  • 3. Re: 12C - Pluggable database
    Marcus Rangel Journeyer
    I've read pretty much everything published so far about 12c and I can tell you nothing was said about resource management amongst pluggable databases. If I had to guess, I'd say the new resource manager will take care of it.
  • 4. Re: 12C - Pluggable database
    jgarry Guru
    But people can speculate endlessly. http://groups.google.com/group/comp.databases.oracle.server/browse_thread/thread/9362d21187bad6bb
  • 5. Re: 12C - Pluggable database
    611900 Newbie
    Actually I feel they might just enhance Resource Manager a bit.

I was actually thinking from "Instance Caging" perspective. Obviously it is for an "Instance" but I was wondering if Oracle is trying to provide that feature at the PDB level also in 12C.

Anyway, Good time to speculate :-)
    Can't do it once it's out.

Thanks,
    Roopesh
  • 6. Re: 12C - Pluggable database
    Osama_Mustafa Oracle ACE
    unpredictable
  • 7. Re: 12C - Pluggable database
    damorgan Oracle ACE Director
    I think I can speak with some authority with respect to 12c.

Let's see ... how can I say this without violating my NDA (non-disclosure agreement).

I've got it.
    You will not be disappointed
    I urge everyone to jump into 12c with pluggables as fast as they can once it is released.

By this I don't mean push it into production day one but rather get it into a dev/test environment fast. A container database is not your grandfather's database. Oracle has made some changes that are going to take the dinosaurs awhile to adjust to but for those not stuck in the way things were in version 7.3.4 it is a valuable leap forward. You will need to learn how to work with the changes a CDB introduces so get it in early so you can gain the necessary experience.

Needless to say I have already prepared an introduction for my website which I will publish on Morgan's Library as soon as I retest it with the final release (probably 7-10 days following the download being made available).

With respect to the google.groups linked speculation ... no comment requested ... no comment made. But I will add this. As with everything Oracle releases in their database capabilities are rarely introduced in final form. Often, look at Triggers as an example, something of value is released and with later releases it is extended to address customer needs. A Container Database in 12cR1 is not going to be the ultimate solution to every database issue day one: What is? But the CDB is a tremendously value addition to the available Oracle architectures and will address a lot of real-world challenges with a solid solution.
  • 8. Re: 12C - Pluggable database
    Kirill Loifman Newbie
    It will be possible using new functionality of the Oracle Resource Manager.
    You can see more details in my article here:
    http://www.dadbm.com/2013/03/oracle-12c-pluggable-database-pdb-faq/

-- Kirill Loifman, dadbm.com
  • 9. Re: 12C - Pluggable database
    marksmithusa Journeyer
    I suspect that something like IORM will be used...
  • 10. Re: 12C - Pluggable database
    PavanKumar Guru
    Hi Morgan

Just an casual query from my end.
    By this I don't mean push it into production day one but rather get it into a dev/test environment fast. A container database is not your grandfather's database. Oracle has made some changes that are going to take the dinosaurs awhile to adjust to but for those not stuck in the way things were in version 7.3.4 it is a valuable leap forward. You will need to learn how to work with the changes a CDB introduces so get it in early so you can gain the necessary experience.
    I accept with your statement, perhaps due to think as the word "12c" -- mainly I think Oracle made things (provided) mostly for cloud supported environment in upcoming release. Due to think for Oracle Databases which are running on version 11g R2 (11202 and 11203), do they really need to move on to 12c ? until or unless their applications are really required support with "Cloud".

- Pavan Kumar N
  • 11. Re: 12C - Pluggable database
    rp0428 Guru
    >
    Due to think for Oracle Databases which are running on version 11g R2 (11202 and 11203), do they really need to move on to 12c ? until or unless their applications are really required support with "Cloud".
    >
    The decision to 'move on' should be made because your analysis shows that you will get some benefit from moving on. Don't upgrade if there is no benefit to doing so.

That 'benefit' could be to take advantage of bug fixes that have been made, new functionality that is available or the 'reason of last resort': your version of Oracle is going out of support.

Oracle 12c is a MAJOR release which, by all written accounts, incorporates some MAJOR architectural changes in the core Oracle software itself. That virtually guarantees that there will be bugs and performance isssues. There will also be plenty of 'learning curve' issues just in figuring out how to use the new version to do what you are already doing now and to test that simple 'replacement upgrade' to make sure there are no negative side effects.

The sooner you begin the journey on that learning curve the more prepared you will be to know when, and how, to make the upgrade.
  • 12. Re: 12C - Pluggable database
    marksmithusa Journeyer
    I'm all for installing first releases of new versions, but, based on previous experiences, I won't be using it in Production until 12.2 (maybe even 12.2.0.2)...

That being said, within a week of it being out on general release, it'll be installed on my sandbox environment...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points