This discussion is archived
8 Replies Latest reply: Jan 23, 2013 12:43 PM by SPowell42 RSS

Navigation link based on user

SriramKarthik Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi All,

I would like to give the navigation to column based on users login in a dashboard report. Suppose I have 5 users. 2 Should have navigation and 3 shouldn't have navigation when they login.

Could anybody suggest on this how to achieve? I'm using obiee 11.1.1.6.
  • 1. Re: Navigation link based on user
    Srini VEERAVALLI Guru
    Use Case when condition for validating the User in column expression, for other user disable the hyper link using CSS.
    This works as expected. I've suggested to some one, let me find that post.

Srini VEERAVALLI on Jan 23, 2013 12:38 PM

Use a new column with expression like
    case when VALUEOF(NQ_SESSION.USER) in ('ab','c') then 'Y' else 'N' end

And use this column value on that column where you want to have Navigation validate the above column if value is 'N' then

Column Properties->Use Custom CSS Style->pointer-events:none;

Edited by: Srini VEERAVALLI on Jan 23, 2013 1:08 PM
  • 2. Re: Navigation link based on user
    SriramKarthik Newbie
    Thank you. Could you please help me with that link with details. It will be very helpful for me.
  • 3. Re: Navigation link based on user
    960620 Explorer
    Open Column properties -> 'Interaction' tab.
    Add new action link to one of two interactions (for column heading or value)
    and choose in radio-button 'Show link' value 'Conditionally' - you can add any dummy condition... it's no matter.
    After all - select 'Advanced' tab of your answer.
    Look at Analysis XML and search tags of dummy condition. Replace it with something like this:
    <saw:condition>                                    
                               <sawx:expr xsi:type="sawx:list" op="in">                                          
                                  <sawx:expr xsi:type="sawx:sqlExpression">'@{session.currentUser}'</sawx:expr>                                          
                                  <sawx:expr xsi:type="xsd:string">weblogic</sawx:expr>                                          
                                  <sawx:expr xsi:type="xsd:string">demo</sawx:expr></sawx:expr></saw:condition> 
    Press button 'Aplly XML'

This is example of conditions for enabling navigate link only for 'weblogic' and 'demo' users. You can extend it.
  • 4. Re: Navigation link based on user
    Srini VEERAVALLI Guru
    Check this, use VALUEOF(NQ_SESSION.USER) instead of group
    OBIEE 11: help with links to other BI content with security

Edited by: Srini VEERAVALLI on Jan 23, 2013 1:38 PM
  • 5. Re: Navigation link based on user
    SriramKarthik Newbie
    Hi Srini,

Thanks for your help. But it is still not working for me. :(
    What does Column Properties->Use Custom CSS Style->pointer-events:none; will do?
  • 6. Re: Navigation link based on user
    SriramKarthik Newbie
    Hi Jack,

I tried your method too. But the report is very very slow. Infact it didn't show the result but going on running in retrieving records. :(
  • 7. Re: Navigation link based on user
    Srini VEERAVALLI Guru
    The CSS code disable the hyperlink for other users since you are setting the navigation.

If this is not working for you then something else is wrong in your config... since this is working code. Tested by me and Scott :)

Edited by: Srini VEERAVALLI on Jan 23, 2013 2:24 PM
  • 8. Re: Navigation link based on user
    SPowell42 Journeyer
    Actually, I didn't do anything with the CSS code, just used the GROUPS variable as the condition. It displays the drop down that allows users to navigate if they are in the right group, or doesn't if they aren't....no CSS needed.

Thx,
    Scott

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points