This discussion is archived
10 Replies Latest reply: Jan 25, 2013 3:40 AM by gimbal2 RSS

java programming with a GUI IDE , recommendations ?

986775 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello & Thanks ,

Need help in setting up java on my win7 x64 , lapTop .

I would like to do java programming with a GUI IDE , for deskTop development .
Could use some recommendations on GUI IDE ,
and what java tools do I need to download/install .

Thanks...Vernon
  • 1. Re: java programming with a GUI IDE , recommendations ?
    Jörg Explorer
    Could use some recommendations on GUI IDE
    Netbeans, Eclipse. But I would recommend to code your first GUIs yourself, so that you learn and understand what the GUI builder does.
    and what java tools do I need to download/install .
    No special tools needed. Just download the jdk and run the file; it will do the installation right away.
  • 2. Re: java programming with a GUI IDE , recommendations ?
    rp0428 Guru
    Welcome to the forum!

You can download the NetBeans IDE in various bundles from this link
    http://netbeans.org/downloads/

I suggest you start with the Java SE download initiallly until you get some experience. Later you can add the EE version with the bundled servers.

The Java Tutorials has a trail for 'Graphical User Interfaces that you can use to learn the basics of using the Swing framework.
    http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/ui/index.html

When you are learning something new it helps to start with examples and code that you know work properly. Then you can modify them to try new things.
  • 3. Re: java programming with a GUI IDE , recommendations ?
    986775 Newbie
    Thanks All ,
    that's a great help .
    I downloaded *"JDK7 + NetBeans"* from here :
    http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html
    Seems to be just what I am looking for .

<< When you are learning something new it helps to start with examples and code that you know work properly.
    Then you can modify them to try new things. >>
    I couldn't agree more , I call it learning backwards .

This page is a goldmine for me too :
    http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/topics/newtojava/young-developers-jsp-136992.html
    I'm not young , but I do like to have fun learning .

Thanks...Vernon

Edited by: 983772 on Jan 24, 2013 9:43 AM

Edited by: 983772 on Jan 24, 2013 9:50 AM
  • 4. Re: java programming with a GUI IDE , recommendations ?
    gimbal2 Guru
    983772 wrote:
    http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/topics/newtojava/young-developers-jsp-136992.html
    I'm not young , but I do like to have fun learning .
    Programming. Its all fun and games until you get a job.

Seriously: I advise you to try and create a memory game (you know: a grid of turned over cards, flip two to try and match) as your first GUI adventure; its really fun to do and it teaches you exactly the basics you need to do more advanced stuff, including layout tricks, handling events including a timed event, working with icons, etc. It can be done with something as simple as a grid of buttons, but you can expand by creating a popup dialog with a form asking for player details and such, and a nice score board. A neat trick is to download a set of patience card pictures off of the internet, shouldn't be too hard to find something like that (at least I remember finding something like that easily).
  • 5. Re: java programming with a GUI IDE , recommendations ?
    Kayaman Guru
    gimbal2 wrote:
    And if you get a job in the game industry, then it's just games.
  • 6. Re: java programming with a GUI IDE , recommendations ?
    gimbal2 Guru
    Kayaman wrote:
    gimbal2 wrote:
    As an indie game developer, maybe. If you're really good or just settle for very little.

But in all other cases it tends to be a really high pressure job with absolutely no job security attached to it. Imagine being a tester. You'll be playing games all day! Sounds like the best job in the world, but the reality is that you'll be playing and replaying and replaying the same bits of the game from all perspectives and all angles and often repeating the same on different platforms. I can imagine that playing games for fun is simply not an option anymore for such people, much like people operating a fast food car will never ever enjoy a good portion of fries anymore.
  • 7. Re: java programming with a GUI IDE , recommendations ?
    jwenting Journeyer
    gimbal2 wrote:
    Kayaman wrote:
    gimbal2 wrote:
    As an indie game developer, maybe. If you're really good or just settle for very little.

But in all other cases it tends to be a really high pressure job with absolutely no job security attached to it. Imagine being a tester. You'll be playing games all day! Sounds like the best job in the world, but the reality is that you'll be playing and replaying and replaying the same bits of the game from all perspectives and all angles and often repeating the same on different platforms. I can imagine that playing games for fun is simply not an option anymore for such people, much like people operating a fast food car will never ever enjoy a good portion of fries anymore.
    yes. So it's just games without the fun :(
    Know one person working in the games industry (as a graphics artist and animator, not a programmer). 16-20 hour workDAYS are not uncommon, 12 hours+ is standard even at sprint start (iow a 60 hour work week is the norm, extending to 100 hours+ as crunchtime approaches).
  • 8. Re: java programming with a GUI IDE , recommendations ?
    gimbal2 Guru
    jwenting wrote:
    yes. So it's just games without the fun :(
    That!
  • 9. Re: java programming with a GUI IDE , recommendations ?
    Kayaman Guru
    gimbal2 wrote:
    I worked in the games industry for a while (not really involved with the games themselves). Those poor game testers. The designers and the programmers were heralded as superstars, and the game testers grinded away, hoping one day to become a game designer or something better themselves.
    Don't miss those times at all, but it was fun to meet plenty of people who went on to work with Rovio and found Supercell and others.
  • 10. Re: java programming with a GUI IDE , recommendations ?
    gimbal2 Guru
    Ha ha, its cool to read all these similar experiences :) I gave a presentation in school once about demystifying the glamour of game development. I was actually met with pure hate and denial, plenty of people had their heart set on it being the easiest and coolest job in the world and I was truly shattering their dreams and future plans.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points