This discussion is archived
12 Replies Latest reply: Jan 24, 2013 8:16 AM by 985537 RSS

Need to know how to better manage revolving users in a group

985537 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I have a new Beehive Online group set up for a external partner collaboration. Members of the group are only from Oracle or that external partner. While the BHO group is new, the collaboration has been in place for a long time (since 2007). Initially at Sun Microsystems, and now Oracle.

In my description here... when I say "collaboration" you can translate that to roughly equivalent to "BHO Group"....

The nature of the collaboration is that both companies move people to/from the collaboration, depending on the work in progress. I'm not saying there are changes daily, but there can be changes every month or so. It also happens that people working on the collaboration may be moved from it for many months or longer, and then get moved back to the collaboration at a later time. Ie, the may revolve in and out of the collaboration. Trouble is, when they are moved from the collaboration there is no guarantee that they ever get moved back to it. When a person is not part of the collaboration, their access to collaboration info is taken away.

So my problem is understanding how to manage this better in BHO.

I need to allow a user to be removed from a group, with the possibility (but not certainty) of adding them again.
-- my understanding that delete user would then require SysAd intervention to add them back.
-- I also am not clear on whether deleting the user affects their other group memberships.

I tried to find out more about locking a user
-- but it seems like that affects more then the group.

Whats the recommended way to deal with this?

Thx!
  • 1. Re: Need to know how to better manage revolving users in a group
    pbell Pro
    Hi,

The note about requiring a sysAdmin to get involved to reinstate the use is a bit old - I will have to remove it. I have adjusted the process to clean out the user from the Group Creation app so the user is removed and can be re-added by adding them to the group and the system will re-provision them. So the best way is to go to the group and remove the user - they will be removed from the associated workspace, have all the ACLs and rights cleaned up and then be removed from the Group in Beehive and in the Group creation app.

Locking a user is not a good option as it stops all logins for that users whatever the group - it is am emergency means of stopping the user but not going as far as removing them - I may remove it as an option as it is hardly ever used and it has caused afew issues in the past.

Phil
  • 2. Re: Need to know how to better manage revolving users in a group
    985537 Newbie
    Thanks for clearing up the bit about locking... It didn't sound right for me, and now I'm sure it isn't.
    I'll go give the user remove a try and report back.

Thanks!! --Resii                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
  • 3. Re: Need to know how to better manage revolving users in a group
    985537 Newbie
    I tried deleting the "verified" user using the group creation/manage tool.
    - click "View members"
    - select the checkbox next to the user
    - click the button "Delete (non-Verified Users)"
    Doing that, the user is not removed AND I get an error message in red at the top of the page that says:
    'Only selected non-"Verified" member(s) have been deleted. Go to https://beehiveonline.oracle.com/BOLAdmin.html to delete "Verified" users'

So I went to the Admin tool:
    - selected my group,
    - selected the user from the list
    - clicked the "Delete User" button above the list.

Got the warning pop-up about the user needing to be added back by SysAd, ignored it and clicked "OK".
    Got a success pop-up with all kinds of internal response tracking stuff in it. Clicked "OK"

And the user is gone from the group in the Admin tool. HOWEVER, the user still shows up in the group list in the group create/manage tool.
    Will the user disappear from that list? If not, the list would be misleading.

Thx!
    --Resii                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
  • 4. Re: Need to know how to better manage revolving users in a group
    pbell Pro
    Hi,

Verified users have to be removed using the https://beehiveonline.oracle.com/BOLAdmin.html tool - once verified they are in Beehive and have to be deleted there.

Phil
  • 5. Re: Need to know how to better manage revolving users in a group
    985537 Newbie
    That's what I ended up doing.. using the BOLAdmin tool.

I'll wait to see if the user disappears from the "View Members" list shown in the Manage Groups tool.
    If the user doesn't disappear, the that list will be misleading.

If the user does disappear, then everything will be great! :-)
    Is there a delay between the remove from BOLAdmin and disappearing from the Manage Group tool?

Thx for all your help!
    --Resii                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
  • 6. Re: Need to know how to better manage revolving users in a group
    pbell Pro
    Resii,

They should go pretty quickly - there is a script run behind the scenes and it should run in a couple of minutes.

Phil
  • 7. Re: Need to know how to better manage revolving users in a group
    985537 Newbie
    Update:
    It's been 2 hours since the user remove, the user still shows in Manage Group.

Thx,
    --Resii                                                                                                                                                                                                               
  • 8. Re: Need to know how to better manage revolving users in a group
    985537 Newbie
    Made it past the three-day weekend... Just checked again:

- the user removed using BOLAdmin still shows up in the "Manage Group" tool when I "View Members"

Groupname: OracleIntel-JavaCollab
    User: aleksey.shipilev@oracle.com

How to I get the "Manage Group" and BOLAdmin lists to be the same?

Thx!
    --Resii                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
  • 9. Re: Need to know how to better manage revolving users in a group
    pbell Pro
    Resii,

Found a missing bracket in the query to remove the user from the Apex db - fixed it and removed Aleksey from the App. He had already been removed from the group, only the final step was missed.

Phil
  • 10. Re: Need to know how to better manage revolving users in a group
    985537 Newbie
    Hi Phil.
    I just rechecked apex (1:40pm Pacific)
    https://beehiveonline-apex.oracle.com/pls/apex/f?p=200:4:885935034716201::NO::GROUPNAME,CURRENT_TAB:OracleIntel-JavaCollab,VIEW
    and it still shows aleksey.shipilev@oracle.com as part of the group.

Thx!
    --Resii                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
  • 11. Re: Need to know how to better manage revolving users in a group
    pbell Pro
    Gone, Must have fixed the code and then not run it. Doh!
  • 12. Re: Need to know how to better manage revolving users in a group
    985537 Newbie
    Verfied... Everything as expected.

Thank you Phil for all your help.
    Very much appreciated!

--Resii                                                                                                                                                                                                                   

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points