This discussion is archived
12 Replies Latest reply: Jan 30, 2013 2:13 PM by jgarry RSS

Search Messages issue

AlbertoFaenza Expert
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,

I seem to have a problem on 2013 for searching my messages.

If I go to "Your control Panel" I normally see under "User Profile" box my recent messages. If I click on "Search for all user messages" and I select yesterday, or last 7 days or last 30 days I see only 1 message despite I have posted more.

Any idea why this is happening? How can I search all message that I've posted yesterday or on the last 7 days?
Am I doing something wrong?

Regards.
Al
  • 1. Re: Search Messages issue
    EdStevens Guru
    Alberto Faenza wrote:
    Hi,

I seem to have a problem on 2013 for searching my messages.

If I go to "Your control Panel" I normally see under "User Profile" box my recent messages. If I click on "Search for all user messages" and I select yesterday, or last 7 days or last 30 days I see only 1 message despite I have posted more.

Any idea why this is happening? How can I search all message that I've posted yesterday or on the last 7 days?
    Am I doing something wrong?

Regards.
    Al
    I think the only thing you are "doing wrong" is trying to make sense of the behavior of a forum hosted on Jive. Similar questions have been posted before, including at least on by me. Control panel showing 'recent' postings over a year old and ignoring stuff less than 48 hours old. Explanation has always been "it's a known Jive issue"
  • 2. Re: Search Messages issue
    AlbertoFaenza Expert
    Hi Ed,

thanks for the answer.
    To be honest, I should google "Jive" as I don't even know what it is. :-)

Anyway for a company like Oracle, providing the top products on database fields it is quite funny that on this site the "query" on messages is not giving the expected result.
    I could not imagine an Oracle customer querying historical orders on its database and not able to find some of them.

Regards.
    Al
  • 3. Re: Search Messages issue
    EdStevens Guru
    Alberto Faenza wrote:
    Hi Ed,

thanks for the answer.
    To be honest, I should google "Jive" as I don't even know what it is. :-)

Anyway for a company like Oracle, providing the top products on database fields it is quite funny that on this site the "query" on messages is not giving the expected result.
    I could not imagine an Oracle customer querying historical orders on its database and not able to find some of them.

Regards.
    Al
    Jive is the software that runs this forum. Yes it has several issues that make one stop and say "REALLY?!?!". But in Oracle's defense, this forum is just a platform they provide for the user community. I understand they are looking for a replacement for Jive, but in the grand scheme of things, that would be a rather low priority. The forum does work, in spite of the quirks.
  • 4. Re: Search Messages issue
    Srini Chavali-Oracle Oracle ACE Director
    The search on the forums is somewhat broken - there are no attempts being made to fix it as the software will be upgraded soon. Using Google will have to suffice for now

HTH
    Srini
  • 5. Re: Search Messages issue
    jduprez Pro
    Yeah, so far the best option to search messages is something like a google query including site:forums.oracle.com yourusername and sort by date...
  • 6. Re: Search Messages issue
    jduprez Pro
    Sun's forums used to be powered by Jive too, and they run rather decently (compared to the plight here).
    Admittedly, search had always been broken on Sun forums too...
  • 7. Re: Search Messages issue
    EdStevens Guru
    Srini Chavali wrote:
    The search on the forums is somewhat broken - there are no attempts being made to fix it as the software will be upgraded soon. Using Google will have to suffice for now

HTH
    Srini
    Actually, I know of several web sites, including some that are 'private' that are better searched with google than with the site's own search function.
  • 8. Re: Search Messages issue
    BillyVerreynne Oracle ACE
    Alberto Faenza wrote:

Searching/indexing web pages is not particularly a strength of a RDBMS vendor.

I have seen Google showing results of a new posting that is not even 5 minutes old. :-)
  • 9. Re: Search Messages issue
    6363 Guru
    Billy  Verreynne  wrote:

Uh oh, now you have done it. Although the last time I called Oracle a database vendor, rather than some kind of information company that they aspire to, search did actually get fixed for quite a while.

{thread:id=2245583}

{message:id=9825927}

Apparently by rebuilding an index.

What is irritating about the situation with the forums is the claims that noting can be done, whereas useless features that no one needs, Hello Pts counting system, are implemented, while basic functionality such as search, thread read indicators, and long threads are switched off. This is not a technology problem, this is messed up priorities and a fascination with techie bright shiny things over usability.
  • 10. Re: Search Messages issue
    jgarry Guru
    Billy  Verreynne  wrote:
    Alberto Faenza wrote:

And yet, now they are pushing social media for accountants. (and of course I can't find the blog I read that on just yesterday)

More directly answering, with Hadoop and the similar offerings from vendors, they are trying to make it a strength. I disagree with http://techcrunch.com/2013/01/27/marc-andreessen-on-the-future-of-the-enterprise/ as I think businesses will use all these small upstart offerings, only to abandon them when they don't scale or go belly-up. What's "good" for venture capitalists isn't what businesses will be using, they can only buy what shakes out.

>
    I have seen Google showing results of a new posting that is not even 5 minutes old. :-)
    Metoo, I've just assumed they use some [url http://www.oracle.com/us/syndication/feeds/index.html#forums]rss feed.

@3360, that old thread made me smiley.
  • 11. Re: Search Messages issue
    6363 Guru
    jgarry wrote:

@3360, that old thread made me smiley.
    Semi colon dash right bracket.
  • 12. Re: Search Messages issue
    jgarry Guru
    >

>
    Just now, I searched for something on a second browser tab, clicked on the link to it, copied link into forum answer, posted it, went back to link, backed up to search, and saw the forum post listed as "12 secs ago."

File this under 'howdeydodat?"

Edit: Answer: http://research.google.com/pubs/pub36726.html (this was a link in a doc Kyle Hailey tweeted just before I posted, that I just noticed)

Edited by: jgarry on Jan 30, 2013 2:10 PM

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points