This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Jan 24, 2013 1:29 PM by riedelme RSS

Apex Listener vs the Embedded PL/SQL gateway.

rorwessels Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
What are the pro's and con's to using the APEX Listener vs the Embedded PL/SQL gateway?

We just started using APEX and on a development server, we set it up using the EPG because this seemed like the easier thing to do. However, they now have a couple apps that are approaching production status and I now need to look at placing the APEX runtime on our production Oracle Database server. So I am trying to decide if I should continue using the EPG or if I should use the APEX Listener.

The server is Windows Server 2008 Enterprise R2 (64 Bit) with Oracle 11g R2 (11.2.0.3.0) also running at 64 bit. I am planning on using APEX 4.2.1.

I have also not found information about how to move APEX application from development to production. Do I export the schema from the dev server and import it to the production server? Do I have to recreate the same workspace name on the production server as well?

Does anyone else use a separate dev and production server setup for APEX?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks...

R. Otto R. Wessels

Edited by: RORWessels on Jan 24, 2013 8:31 AM
  • 1. Re: Apex Listener vs the Embedded PL/SQL gateway.
    riedelme Expert
    RORWessels wrote:
    What are the pro's and con's to using the APEX Listener vs the Embedded PL/SQL gateway?
    The installtion docs list the pros and cons of the different listeners. Oracle does not reccomend the embedded PL/SQL gateway for produciton systems because of security issues. For more information check the documentation - the installation overview, section About Choosing an HTTP Server

I am using the PL/SQL gateway on my laptop for convienience but am finding it mildly constraining. There are small differences between my envirionment and those on other systems that I cannot duplicate. Advantages to this approach is primarily convenience: i just connect to Apex without having to think about an external listener. Disadvantages include having a slightly different envirionment that other systems and a small loss in functionality (I cannot configure Apache which might allow certain bits of functionality that I am lacking)

For "real" environments we prefer the HTTP server with Apache.
  • 2. Re: Apex Listener vs the Embedded PL/SQL gateway.
    rorwessels Newbie
    Thank you for responding. I have been through the documentation, however, from what I read there, using the APEX Listener in stand-alone mode is also not recommended. So this now leaves the Oracle HTTP server that ships with 11g. I am leery of that as well given it's core is Apache and the server I would be running this on already has a Tomcat 7 instance on it for a different web app.

This server is only accessible internally and would not be exposed to the outside "Internet" so I guess I have to consider whether the APEX Listener or the Oracle HTTP server performs "better".

Also the documentation does not actually list the pro's and con's for the different setup's. At least not in any sort of comprehensive way.
  • 3. Re: Apex Listener vs the Embedded PL/SQL gateway.
    riedelme Expert
    RORWessels wrote:
    Thank you for responding. I have been through the documentation, however, from what I read there, using the APEX Listener in stand-alone mode is also not recommended. So this now leaves the Oracle HTTP server that ships with 11g. I am leery of that as well given it's core is Apache and the server I would be running this on already has a Tomcat 7 instance on it for a different web app.
    There may be other options. Look into using Glassfish or Weblogic to see if either would be possible

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points