This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 24 Replies Latest reply: Jan 27, 2013 5:46 PM by Hemant K Chitale Go to original post RSS
  • 15. Re: rman process and CPU usage
    441858 Newbie
    Currently Being Moderated
    mseberg,

Thanks for your input.

I'm thinking I will just take out the 'delete input' clause from the backup script and have a separate job that will delete the archivelogs (well after the backups have completed and after verification that the archivelogs were indeed successfully backed up). How does that sound?

Thanks.
  • 16. Re: rman process and CPU usage
    mseberg Guru
    Sounds like you are on the right track.

I have a lot of disk space in our shop so I do a SYSDATE -1

Best Regards

mseberg
  • 17. Re: rman process and CPU usage
    441858 Newbie
    Yup, same thing here. Space is not an issue at all. Just want to keep things clean.

I will consider SYSDATE-1 as an option.

Thanks much.
  • 18. Re: rman process and CPU usage
    Hemant K Chitale Oracle ACE
    Since you are not keeping Archive around very long the database might be holding the lock on the archivelog file you are trying to delete.
    That wouldn't be the case. Once an Archivelog has been created, the database doesn't "hold a lock on it". Furthermore, RMAN will not backup an Archivelog that hasn't been completed (i.e. is still in the progress of being written out). Then, the DELETE INPUT will only delete an Archivelog that has been backed up.

Therefore, the operations should be clean. There must be some other reason for the "hold up".

Hemant K Chitale
  • 19. Re: rman process and CPU usage
    441858 Newbie
    Thanks for your reply Hemant.

I do have replication configured on it. It is the destination database...so it has apply processes on it.

Could it be that transactions are coming in (being replicated) from the source and it is trying to delete the archivelog that may be in use at the time?

Thanks
  • 20. Re: rman process and CPU usage
    mseberg Guru
    Hemant;

Thanks for you input. I'm thinking the file has to be created, then it has to be written which takes a moment. If during that brief moment RMAN tries to delete it there would be a conflict which could cause a hang.

If you know of other conflicts that would better explain then please post them.

I'm pretty sure I saw an Oracle note which offers some support to my theory. If I find it I will post here.

Cannot find the note but...

Does not matter since the GolderGate has been shook out. Yes that would explain, you cannot delete Archive that is still needed for that. Thanks Hemant!!

Best Regards

mseberg

Edited by: mseberg on Jan 24, 2013 9:15 PM
  • 21. Re: rman process and CPU usage
    You mean that you have Golden Gate implemented ?
    Then, yes, of course, it is likely that the ArchiveLog is being used, thus preventing RMAN from deleting it.

Hemant K Chitale
  • 22. Re: rman process and CPU usage
    441858 Newbie
    We have Oracle Streams configured not Golden Gate. But same idea...both are replication.

So what could we do to prevent this? Any options?

Thanks all.
  • 23. Re: rman process and CPU usage
    mseberg Guru
    Hello;

Will depend upon the Oracle version :

You need to :

Configure archivelog deletion policy.

I believe this short document will cover it :

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/features/availability/298772-132349.pdf

Also

Usage of RMAN in Streams Environment [ID 421176.1]

Reporte Obsolete Does not Report Archivelog Backup [ID 803635.1]

OERR:RMAN 8137 WARNING: archived log not deleted, needed for standby or upstream capture process [ID 1365394.1]

Best Regards

mseberg

Edited by: mseberg on Jan 25, 2013 7:58 AM
  • 24. Re: rman process and CPU usage
    I suggest that you look at the references that mseberg has provided.

Hemant K Chitale
1 2 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points