This discussion is archived
6 Replies Latest reply: Jan 25, 2013 12:29 PM by 403074 RSS

Reg: Sun V880 Server

987066 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello,

Recently I got an old Sun V880 server. I don't know the root password. I connected a network cable to Serial port in RSC card and other end I connected to cross over 9 pin connector ( Sun Part No. 530-3100-01 ).

When I start the server and connect using putty as well as Hyperterminal, I get the below message.

Memory Cells Test, PASSED.
Data CACHE Test
Verify D-CACHE Performance Increase
D-CACHE Performance Increase I-CACHE Disabled
D-CACHE Performance Increase I-CACHE Enabled
Verify D-CACHE Memory
Data CACHE Test, PASSED.
Main Sectors FLASH CRC Test
Main Sectors FLASH CRC Test, PASSED.
Load the RSC, then run the VxDiags
RSC version 2.2 ()

Full VxDiag Tests
PCF8591 THERMISTOR TEST
PCF8591 THERMISTOR TEST, PASSED
BASIC TOD TEST
Read the TOD Clock: SAT JAN 01 00:00:13 2000
Wait, 1 - 3 seconds
Read the TOD Clock: SAT JAN 01 00:00:15 2000
BASIC TOD TEST, PASSED
ETHERNET CPU LOOPBACK TEST
50 BYTE PACKET - a 0 in field of 1's. Attaching network interface cpm0... d
one.
50 BYTE PACKET - a 1 in field of 0's.
900 BYTE PACKET - pseudo-random data.
ETHERNET CPU LOOPBACK TEST, PASSED
MODEM PRESENT TEST
Verify Modem is present
MODEM PRESENT TEST, PASSED
MODEM INIT and REGISTER TEST
Check for VALID PCMCIA Address
MODEM Register Test
MODEM INIT and REGISTER TEST, PASSED
MODEM TUPLES TEST
Read TUPLES Data
Verify TUPLES Data
MODEM TUPLES TEST, PASSED
Full VxDiag Tests - PASSED

Status summary - Status = 7FFF
VxDiag - - PASSED
POST - - PASSED
LOOPBACK - - PASSED
BATTERY - - PASSED
I2C - - PASSED
EPROM - - PASSED
FRU PROM - - PASSED
ETHERNET - - PASSED
MODEM - - PASSED
MAIN CRC - - PASSED
BOOT CRC - - PASSED
TTYD - - PASSED
TTYC - - PASSED
MEMORY - - PASSED
MPC860 - - PASSED

Please login:
Please login:

I don't know the username and password, I tried using Ctrl + Break to get OK prompt and there is no response. If I enter username and password continuously four times the system hangs. Then I have to remove the RSC card and short the battery and after that I get the same message.

Can someone help me to make it work this server?

Regards
George
  • 1. Re: Reg: Sun V880 Server
    Pascal Kreyer - Oracle Expert
    I will suggest to use the Stop-N key sequence on a connected keyboard to reset OBP parameters, connect your putty session to the mainboard serial connector and then boot on a Solaris media in single-user mode to reset root password.
  • 2. Re: Reg: Sun V880 Server
    403074 Newbie
    Hello George,

attach to the console port (25 pin SUB-D, not the one on the RSC) and use Ctrl + Break to get to the OK prompt. Review (and capture !) the current OBP settings with printenv. The console is currently directed to the RSC, but now temporarily directed to the serial console. Change the setting from RSC to to serial console with setenv. For the exact settings review the OBP 4.x User's Guide, RSC User's Guide and the V880 documentation which is still freely available for download.

The RSC password can be reset with rscadmin if Solaris is running.

If the disks are cleaned (no Solaris installed) and you didn't get the RSC software media (at least the SPARC package) with the system, you won't be able to use the system with the RSC, because downloading the RSC software requires a service contract.

Michael

Edited by: maal on 25.01.2013 08:08
    Someone was faster...
    Using the Sun Keybord requires an installed framebuffer (graphics card). Without the framebuffer POST doesn't enable the keyboard, input-/output is directed to the serial console or RSC.
  • 3. Re: Reg: Sun V880 Server
    987066 Newbie
    Hello Michael,

Thank you for the mail and I appreciate. I still not able to go ahead from the prompt where I was before. I am not an expert in Solaris, trying to catch up something. If you don't mind can you please clarify some doubts.

In my server I have the below given ports.

Serial Port A/B ( 25 pins ) Looks like parallel port

One TPE Fast Ethernet Interface

On RSC Card ... One serial port, one modem port, one Ethernet port.

First I connected network cable to Serial port and other end connected to 9 pin adapter and this adapter connected to serial port of my laptop used Hyperterminal as well as putty.

Second time I connected a 25 pins adapter to Sun server Serial port A/B and other end to 9 pin adapter in my laptop. Then there is no response.

Please correct me in which way I should connect the adapter and cable to check this problem.

Thanks in advance
    George
  • 4. Re: Reg: Sun V880 Server
    tholtorff - oracle Newbie
    Hi George,

It's probable that the output-device and input-device OBP variables are set to rsc-console. That is the reason why you are not getting anything on console while connected to Serial Port A/B (25 pins).

First thing you need to do is reset RSC password. As Michael mentioned you can do this from Solaris OS by invoking 'scadm' command. To get the console from Serial Port A/B (25 pins) I would suggest to physically remove RSC card from host. This will redirect input and output device to ttya. Connect to Serial Port A/B (RSC card removed) and power on the server. You should get output from console (POST, OK prompt and booting Solaris if Solaris is installed and auto-boot OBP variable is set to true).

If Solaris is not installed then you can simply proceed with installation of new OS (please choose full installation). After installation please put back in the RSC card and use 'scadm' to reset password of the RSC (please consult scadm manual pages).

When password reset procedure will finish successfully, connect the console cable to RSC serial port, log in with username and password and change OBP variables 'input-device' and 'output-device' to rsc-console.

After all of the above you will be able to use RSC to control your host remotely (power off / power on / remote console / environmental status and more).

Regards,
    Tom
  • 5. Re: Reg: Sun V880 Server
    987066 Newbie
    Hello Tom,

Thanks for the mail. I tried in the same way as you said. But there is no output. Please help me.

Thanks
    George
  • 6. Re: Reg: Sun V880 Server
    403074 Newbie
    Hello George,

- power-cycle the system
    - POST (power-on selftest) output should appear (regardless of the OBP settings) on the serial console (serial A/B jack). The keyboard and addin-boards are probed/activated in a later stage of POST.
    - Use Ctrl + Break to get to the OK prompt.

Make sure that the used console cable is null-modem (RxD/TxD crossed to connect two DTE "terminal" devices). The most simple console cable is 3 wire (RXD, TXD and GND).

I mispelled the utility for confguring the RSC, it's called rscadm not rscadmin. The software (package) SUNWrsc is not supplied on the Solaris media (just reviewed the Solaris 10 3/05 media).
    Maybe it was included with one the earlier Solaris media kits. The Solaris 9 12/02 Software Suppplement CD contained RSC 2.2.1. The latest/last version is RSC 2.2.3 with supports the newer SC boards (without. modem). Your system contains the earlier RSC board.

This is the link to the V880 documentation:

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19095-01/sfv880.srvr/index.html

Michael

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points