This discussion is archived
8 Replies Latest reply: Jan 25, 2013 9:31 AM by rp0428 RSS

JDK 1.6 and Oracle DB 10g

875510 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,

we are trying to connect to a DB (10.2.0.5) using JDK 1.6 and we are not sure which jdbc we should use.

What I found is that JDK 1.6 requires ojdbc6 but Oracle 10g does not support that. It is not clear to us whether we cna use ojdbc14 with JDK 1.6

Thanks for your help
  • 1. Re: JDK 1.6 and Oracle DB 10g
    PhHein Guru Moderator
    http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/enterprise-edition/jdbc-10201-088211.html
  • 2. Re: JDK 1.6 and Oracle DB 10g
    gimbal2 Guru
    872507 wrote:
    What I found is that JDK 1.6 requires ojdbc6 but Oracle 10g does not support that. It is not clear to us whether we cna use ojdbc14 with JDK 1.6
    All drivers are backwards compatible. It is not the DBMS supporting a driver, it is a driver supporting a DBMS.
    It is not clear to us whether we cna use ojdbc14 with JDK 1.6
    Simply try it, things will become clear then.
  • 3. Re: JDK 1.6 and Oracle DB 10g
    875510 Newbie
    Hi,

thanks for you answer. My question was raised when I read the link below which suggests (or at least I read it that way) that JDK 1.6, and Oracle 10g cannot be used together. AM I missing something?

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/enterprise-edition/jdbc-10201-088211.html
  • 4. Re: JDK 1.6 and Oracle DB 10g
    PhHein Guru Moderator
    The best thing to do is to try it yourself. You will not shoot down the database.
  • 5. Re: JDK 1.6 and Oracle DB 10g
    875510 Newbie
    Do you know where I can find whether it is supported? As it will have to be deployed in a production environment a test would not be enough
  • 6. Re: JDK 1.6 and Oracle DB 10g
    PhHein Guru Moderator
    So if I provided a link to a page that says JDBC X works with JRE Y on Oracle Z, you'd deploy it without testing? What's wrong with my first link plus the other replies you've gotten so far?
  • 7. Re: JDK 1.6 and Oracle DB 10g
    875510 Newbie
    Hi,

Thanks for you reply and for the link.

I never said I would deploy it without testing I said that if it is not supported (or recommended or tested) I would not deploy it even after testing it myself.

Thanks for the link as well, waht I do not udnerstand on that page is the follwoing:

ojdbc14.jar (1,569,316 bytes) - classes for use with JDK 1.4 and 1.5

Thre is no mention of JDK 1.6 and I cannot take for granted that the above means ".... and later"
  • 8. Re: JDK 1.6 and Oracle DB 10g
    rp0428 Guru
    >
    we are trying to connect to a DB (10.2.0.5) using JDK 1.6 and we are not sure which jdbc we should use.

>
    Not sure where you got that information but ALL of it is wrong.

1. JDK 1.6 does NOT require ojdbc6
    2. Oracle 10g DOES support using ojdbc6 and/or JDK 1.6 to connect
    3. ojdbc14 CAN be used with JDK 1.6

I can use the CLASSES12.JAR file and JDK 1.6 and connect to and query my Oracle 11.2.0.1.0 database but that jar file won't support the latest JDBC enhancements available in the later jar files.

The only real CAVEAT regarding Java versions is that JDK 1.4 is not supported by the 11 drivers.

Also, Oracle DB ships with, AND REQUIRES, JDK 1.5 for its own internal operation. This JDK version CAN NOT be upgraded or modified at all by the user and you should never attempt that. Doing so will violate any support agreement you have and possibly break your Oracle installation beyond repair.

That only affect Java that you load into the DB; you cannot load classes or source that require Java functionality provided in later (e.g. 1.6) versions.

That means that ANY Java you load into the DB must be 1.5 or lower.
    >
    Do you know where I can find whether it is supported? As it will have to be deployed in a production environment a test would not be enough
    >
    Sure - this is the OFFICIAL Oracle FAQ page that provides the full support matrix of DB vs. OJDBC vs. JDK.
    http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/enterprise-edition/jdbc-faq-090281.html#02_02

Read the entire FAQ but see these sections in particular
    >
    Oracle JDBC in General
    What JDBC drivers does Oracle provide?
    . . .
    Which JDBC drivers support which versions of Oracle Database?
    . . .
    Which JDBC drivers support which versions of Javasoft's JDK?
    . . .
    Which JDBC drivers support which versions of JDBC?
    >
    Those sections pretty much cover the ENTIRE matix of possible combinations.

The only real CAVEAT regarding Java versions from that doc is this
    >
    Please note that JDK 1.4 is not supported by the 11 drivers.
    >
    Then there is the complete list of jar files and what they are.

Provide this doc, or a link to it, to your organization to support whatever decision they make.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points