This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply: Feb 22, 2013 8:31 AM by MattMilella RSS

64-bit Smart View + Excel 2010 64-bit Issues - Help Please

986996 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello everyone.

First, I am not an "IT guy" so please bare with me as I am not technical but need help.

I am running Windows 7 64-bit Professional and Excel 2010 64-bit. I installed Oracle Smart View for Office, Fusion Edition 64-bit as an add-in within Excel.

I have worked with our "Hyperion Admins" to connect to the right server so that my "private connections" are set correctly (hopefully that makes sense).

However, when I attempt to refresh my Smart View query I end-up retrieving no data. The "refresh" button under "Smart View" in Excel will proceed as a refresh is occurring but then not return data (I know this Smart View template works as I've used it many times on 32-bit Excel).

Our admins have informed me that I cannot use 64-bit Smart View because our "server" is on a 32-bit O/S (or something similar to that). To me, the logic doesn't make sense and I'm hoping that there is a solution the admins are not aware of.

Happy to answer any questions and appreciate any help.
  • 1. Re: 64-bit Smart View + Excel 2010 64-bit Issues - Help Please
    JB1 Journeyer
    Hi

What version of Smart View / Planning are you on? From what I remember there may be compatibility issues with 64bit Excel 2010 and 11.1.2.1 Smartview...

Couple of things to try / rule out first....(you may have done so already)

Can you open a webform in Smart View and see current data / submit new data ok within it?

Can you run exactly the same Smart View retrieve on a colleagues machine, is data returned? If your retrieve isnt level 0, can you try retrieving a level 0 intersection to rule out aggregation issues?

If no data is returned, try a 'lock and send' on an intersection and then a refresh again - if that cell value is returned then I guess it would indicate that there was no data there originally...

Thanks

JB
  • 2. Re: 64-bit Smart View + Excel 2010 64-bit Issues - Help Please
    PriyaPeravali Explorer
    What is the data source that you are connecting to and please mention the version of the same?
    -Regards
    Priya
  • 3. Re: 64-bit Smart View + Excel 2010 64-bit Issues - Help Please
    JTF85 Journeyer
    I know that even on 11.1.2.2 Patch 300, HSGetValues did not work on the x64 platform when connecting to HFM, only the Ad-Hoc tools would function correctly. This may be updated in a subsequent patch, but I do not recall seeing this update.

JTF
  • 4. Re: 64-bit Smart View + Excel 2010 64-bit Issues - Help Please
    986996 Newbie
    JB1 wrote:
    Hi

What version of Smart View / Planning are you on? From what I remember there may be compatibility issues with 64bit Excel 2010 and 11.1.2.1 Smartview...

Couple of things to try / rule out first....(you may have done so already)

Can you open a webform in Smart View and see current data / submit new data ok within it?

Can you run exactly the same Smart View retrieve on a colleagues machine, is data returned? If your retrieve isnt level 0, can you try retrieving a level 0 intersection to rule out aggregation issues?

If no data is returned, try a 'lock and send' on an intersection and then a refresh again - if that cell value is returned then I guess it would indicate that there was no data there originally...

Thanks

JB
    Hi JB,

I am running 'Oracle Hyperion Smart View for Office, Fusion Edition version 11.1.2.2.300 (Build 070)' on x64 Windows 7 with MS Office x64.

I don't know what a 'webform' is unfortunately, like I said, I'm not an IT guy, I am just trying to figure this out because my IT resources at the company I work at don't provide a lot of assistance in figuring these issues out.

I do know that when I open a Smart View enabled document (i.e. has HSGETVALUES) the values will populate when I open the document but if you refresh then they disappear.

Just to be clear, the official explanation I was given by our "admins" was that we have a x32 bit server and so the x64 version of Smart View will not work with that. However, when I perused the Oracle readme on Smart View x64 release it seemed to indicate that would not be an issue.

I do not know where to get "patches" from so any links or direct sends would be much appreciated. I'm just a lowly finance guy trying to avoid having to use two seperate machines (1. x64 Excel for my large data models and having to switch to a second laptop 2. x32 Smart View to pull data).

Thanks again.
  • 5. Re: 64-bit Smart View + Excel 2010 64-bit Issues - Help Please
    986996 Newbie
    PriyaPeravali wrote:
    What is the data source that you are connecting to and please mention the version of the same?
    -Regards
    Priya
    Hi Priya,

Not sure I can answer the question appropriately, all I know is that it is apparently on a 32-bit server so they HFM admins indicate it will not "work" - I'm not sure I believe them. :)
  • 6. Re: 64-bit Smart View + Excel 2010 64-bit Issues - Help Please
    JDN Explorer
    We had a similar experience as JTF, HsGetValues would not work but the AdHoc function worked fine. I put in an SR with Oracle and they refereced the below document. We ended up having IT install 32 bit office on the machine along with 32 bit Smartview (11.1.2.2.300) and now it is working fine.

Regards,
    Jason

Some Smart View Functions Do Not Work in Excel 2010 64-bit. [ID 1463814.1]

To Bottom

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Modified:Aug 30, 2012Type:PROBLEMStatus:PUBLISHEDPriority:3

Comments (0)

In this Document

Symptoms

Cause

Solution

References

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Applies to:
    Hyperion Financial Management - Version 11.1.2.2.000 and later
    Information in this document applies to any platform.

Symptoms

When using Smart View (SV) with Microsoft Office 2010 SP1 some SV functions do not work or cause Excel application to crash.

Cause

In 64-bit versions of Excel 2010 SP1, the presence of Smart View functions may cause Excel to terminate abruptly and may prevent Copy Data Point and Paste Data Point functions from working. This has been identified as a defect in Microsoft product.

Solution

Use the 32-bit version of Smart View until Microsoft issues fix for their 64-bit Office products.

References
    @ BUG:13606492 - USING HSSETVALUE FUNCTION CAUSES EXCEL CRASH

Related

Products

•Enterprise Performance Management and Business Intelligence > Enterprise Performance Management > Financial Management > Hyperion Financial Management > Smart View > Smart View

Keywords

BIT;CRASH;EXCEL;HSGETVALUE;MICROSOFT;OFFICE 2010;SMART VIEW;SMARTVIEW;SP1;DYNAMIC ADV PROBLEM SOLUTION
  • 7. Re: 64-bit Smart View + Excel 2010 64-bit Issues - Help Please
    986996 Newbie
    JDN wrote:
    We had a similar experience as JTF, HsGetValues would not work but the AdHoc function worked fine. I put in an SR with Oracle and they refereced the below document. We ended up having IT install 32 bit office on the machine along with 32 bit Smartview (11.1.2.2.300) and now it is working fine.

Regards,
    Jason

Some Smart View Functions Do Not Work in Excel 2010 64-bit. [ID 1463814.1]

To Bottom

Modified:Aug 30, 2012Type:PROBLEMStatus:PUBLISHEDPriority:3

Comments (0)

In this Document

Symptoms

Cause

Solution

References

Applies to:
    Hyperion Financial Management - Version 11.1.2.2.000 and later
    Information in this document applies to any platform.

Symptoms

When using Smart View (SV) with Microsoft Office 2010 SP1 some SV functions do not work or cause Excel application to crash.

Cause

In 64-bit versions of Excel 2010 SP1, the presence of Smart View functions may cause Excel to terminate abruptly and may prevent Copy Data Point and Paste Data Point functions from working. This has been identified as a defect in Microsoft product.

Solution

Use the 32-bit version of Smart View until Microsoft issues fix for their 64-bit Office products.

References
    @ BUG:13606492 - USING HSSETVALUE FUNCTION CAUSES EXCEL CRASH

Related

Products

•Enterprise Performance Management and Business Intelligence > Enterprise Performance Management > Financial Management > Hyperion Financial Management > Smart View > Smart View

Keywords

BIT;CRASH;EXCEL;HSGETVALUE;MICROSOFT;OFFICE 2010;SMART VIEW;SMARTVIEW;SP1;DYNAMIC ADV PROBLEM SOLUTION
    Can you use the 32-bit Smart View with 64-bit Office? Unfortunately, 32-bit Excel cannot handle my files so I am forced to use 64-bit so going back to a 32-bit Office will not work for me.
  • 8. Re: 64-bit Smart View + Excel 2010 64-bit Issues - Help Please
    986996 Newbie
    UPDATE: "AdHoc" analysis works and will pull the correct data.
  • 9. Re: 64-bit Smart View + Excel 2010 64-bit Issues - Help Please
    JDN Explorer
    I'm not sure on the 32bit SV with 64bit office, we didn't try that. Seems like that would be fairly quick to switch out and test.
  • 10. Re: 64-bit Smart View + Excel 2010 64-bit Issues - Help Please
    986996 Newbie
    JDN wrote:
    I'm not sure on the 32bit SV with 64bit office, we didn't try that. Seems like that would be fairly quick to switch out and test.
    Doesn't allow you to install 32-bit SV on 64-bit Office so that's out. :)
  • 11. Re: 64-bit Smart View + Excel 2010 64-bit Issues - Help Please
    JDN Explorer
    Oh well... If you haven't already done so, I would turn in a ticket to Oracle and see if they have any more insight into the issue. My ticket was from several months ago so maybe they found a workaround for this. If you find out anything, please let us know.

Good luck!
    Jason
  • 13. Re: 64-bit Smart View + Excel 2010 64-bit Issues - Help Please
    986996 Newbie
    Help still needed. :)
  • 14. Re: 64-bit Smart View + Excel 2010 64-bit Issues - Help Please
    992743 Newbie
    Hi,
    Apparently 64-bit Office 2010 will not be fully supported until release 11.1.2.2 but there are currently no timings for this...
    64-bit Excel 2010 Smart view problem
1 2 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points