7 Replies Latest reply: Jan 30, 2013 8:30 AM by Kent Graziano RSS

Exporting model to CSV

Kent Graziano
      When doing File -> Export -> To CSV is there a way to get column comments included in the DM_Columns.csv output?

Likewise for tables, entities, and attributes.

This utility is great for getting a data dictionary very quickly for an entire design but would be even better with the text definitions.

Thanks.
        • 1. Re: Exporting model to CSV
          Philip Stoyanov-Oracle
          Hi Kent,

comments and comments in RDBMS are in separate files DM_CommentsRDBMS.csv, DM_Comments.csv and DM_Notes.csv

Philip
          • 2. Re: Exporting model to CSV
            Kent Graziano
            So if I do not see those files in the output directory, does that mean there are not comments or notes in the model anywhere? I see plenty of other files (like DM_Entity.csv) that are empty (because I he no logical model), but the three you mention are missing completely.

I am running 3.3EA1.
            • 3. Re: Exporting model to CSV (3.3EA1)
              Kent Graziano
              I can confirm now that in 3.3EA1 the comment files are not being created. I just uploaded comments for 1600 columns (using the new find/export/import features) so I know they are there. Still no output.

Looks like a bug.
              • 4. Re: Exporting model to CSV (3.3EA1)
                Philip Stoyanov-Oracle
                Hi Kent,
                so I know they are there. Still no output.
                Looks like a bug.
                we can fix a bug only if we can reproduce it. So it'll be helpful for us if you can provide a test design we can use to reproduce the problem.

Philip
                • 5. Re: Exporting model to CSV (3.3EA1)
                  Kent Graziano
                  Sure - how do I get a copy of the design to you? (under NDA of course)
                  • 6. Re: Exporting model to CSV (3.3EA1)
                    Philip Stoyanov-Oracle
                    customers data are covered by strict company rules. So for me NDA is in effect. You can create service request or zip the design and send it to me.
                    I don't need the whole design, just a slice of it that will allow to reproduce the problem.
                    How to create a slice:
                    - create a subview and put some objects in it;
                    - export to "Data Modeler Design" - select only the subview created in previous step;
                    - open the new design and export to CSV - if problem exists then the slice is good for testing.

Philip
                    • 7. Re: Exporting model to CSV (3.3EA1)
                      Kent Graziano
                      Turns out I was getting an error in my log file when the export to csv was run:

2013-01-29 09:21:09,170 [Thread-23] ERROR CSVExporter - Error Exporting to CSV:
                      java.lang.RuntimeException: rdbmsName not known: SQL Server 2008
                      at oracle.dbtools.crest.model.design.LogicalDatatype.createDataType(Unknown Source)
                      at oracle.dbtools.crest.exports.csv.EHLogicalToNative.Export(Unknown Source)
                      at oracle.dbtools.crest.exports.csv.CSVExporter$Runner.run(Unknown Source)
                      at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)

I had forgotten that the design I was working with had actually come from reverse engineering a SQL Server database.

From that Philip was able to surmise that my Default System types directory was pointing to a directory with an old defaultRDBMSSites.xml file (pre-3.3EA) which did not have SQL Server 2008 defined. Once I pointed the directory to the current file, everything worked fine.

So not a bug, just a bad setting. User error. :-)