This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Jan 26, 2013 3:49 PM by Hussein Sawwan-Oracle RSS

R12 questions

user9506868 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I am testing upgrade to R12 from 11.5.10.2. I have a couple of questions. Ours is a 2-node environment. DB on one node and Application tier on the 2nd node.

1. I see that Oracle Reports isn't used in R12. But doesn't 10.1.2 home come with Reports? If reports aren't used, what is used for that functionality? XML Publisher? OBIEE? What should be done with existing reports in 11i, when upgrading to R12?

2. When installing application patches, do we still run the unified patch driver on the DB tier in addition to the Application tier? we had CM on the DB Tier in 11i.

3. When running on the application tier, which env file is sourced in? 10.1.2 home or 10.1.3 home? Or is there one single env file sourced that uses both 10.1.2 and 10.1.3?

Thanks.
  • 1. Re: R12 questions
    Hussein Sawwan-Oracle Employee ACE
    1. I see that Oracle Reports isn't used in R12. But doesn't 10.1.2 home come with Reports? If reports aren't used, what is used for that functionality? XML Publisher? OBIEE? What should be done with existing reports in 11i, when upgrading to R12?
    Oracle reports is used in R12.
    2. When installing application patches, do we still run the unified patch driver on the DB tier in addition to the Application tier? we had CM on the DB Tier in 11i.
    If you do not have shared application file system or shared APPL_TOP then yes you need to apply patches on both nodes.
    3. When running on the application tier, which env file is sourced in? 10.1.2 home or 10.1.3 home? Or is there one single env file sourced that uses both 10.1.2 and 10.1.3?
    The one under $APPL_TOP -- http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E18727_01/doc.121/e12841/T120505T120509.htm#F_92659x3Ax20H1x20Head1x3Ax20Environmentx20Settings

Thanks,
    Hussein
  • 2. Re: R12 questions
    user9506868 Newbie
    I see that Reports 10 is part of 10.1.2 home. But there is no start and stop report server like in 11.5.10.2. That is not required anymore? Can the existing reports be migrated to R12 and expected to run? Also, is BI Publisher the recommended product for reporting in R12?

We don't have shared APPL_TOP. We a database tier and apps tier. In 11.5.10.2 we have the concurrent manager/admin tier on the database tier. We aren't doing that on R12. Here, it will be DB Tier with database and apps tier with the rest. So, adpatch still needs to be run on both db tier and apps tier?

Thanks.
  • 3. Re: R12 questions
    Hussein Sawwan-Oracle Employee ACE
    user9506868 wrote:
    I see that Reports 10 is part of 10.1.2 home. But there is no start and stop report server like in 11.5.10.2. That is not required anymore? Can the existing reports be migrated to R12 and expected to run?
    Yea, as concurrent programs.
    Also, is BI Publisher the recommended product for reporting in R12?
    Yes.
    We don't have shared APPL_TOP. We a database tier and apps tier. In 11.5.10.2 we have the concurrent manager/admin tier on the database tier. We aren't doing that on R12. Here, it will be DB Tier with database and apps tier with the rest. So, adpatch still needs to be run on both db tier and apps tier?
    No, you just need to apply them on the application tier node only (since no more application services are running on the database tier node).

Thanks,
    Hussein

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points