4 Replies Latest reply: Jan 28, 2013 6:02 PM by Dan at Branchbird RSS

can we display the time in local time of the users

user549949
      Hi All,

Does Endeca have any sort of concept of a User Profile where we could configure the time to display in local time? We have Event Time and Record Time and we want to display them in the local time.Is that possible?

Thanks and Regards,
      Amrit
        • 1. Re: can we display the time in local time of the users
          Dan at Branchbird
          Endeca does have the concept of user profile, which can be used to trigger certain merchandising rules or for triggering certain pages built with Experience Manager. You can read more about this here:

"Controlling the display of content" from the http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E38679_01/ToolsAndFrameworks.311/pdf/WorkbenchUserGuide.pdf

However, if you're really just looking to show time in the timezone of the user, I would suggest just storing the GMT time in the MDEX engine on your record then applying the conversation to their local time via a DateFormat function in the application logic. If you're not looking to trigger different content based on timezone and you're simply looking to display, I would just do it in the app logic.

Would this work?

Thanks,
          Dan
          http://branchbird.com
          • 2. Re: can we display the time in local time of the users
            user549949
            HI Dan,

Thank you so much for the reply.
            I will go through this doc .

Regards,
            Amrit
            • 3. Re: can we display the time in local time of the users
              Sasha
              Dan's answer is a good one, if you're working with the Endeca Guided Search commerce product. If you're working withe Endeca Information Discovery and building analytics apps with EID Studio, the answer to your question is that there's currently no timezone-based formatting/display of dates. It's generally a best practice to ensure data is ingested in Endeca Server in a standardized form (UTC time), and it's displayed in that same way (though potentially formatted to a more user-friendly display format). When working with distributed source data systems and distributed user communities, this type of standardization can help ensure there's no confusion and that there's an easily identifiable standard representation of dates and times in the system.
              - Sasha
              • 4. Re: can we display the time in local time of the users
                Dan at Branchbird
                Ha! Thanks for keeping me honest, Sasha. Sometimes I forget which forum I am on.